Our Passive PK

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
We began the season playing an agressive pressure the puck PK style. It seemed to me to be quite effective and I enjoyed watching our team on the PK. As the season has moved along we appear more and more to be playing an ever tighter box with very little pressure on the puck, especially on the points. It is no longer fun to watch the Jets on the PK. Even with a tight box we seem to allow opportunities from between the dots. Has our PK philosophy changed? Or have we inadvertantly reverted to old habbits?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
We began the season playing an agressive pressure the puck PK style. It seemed to me to be quite effective and I enjoyed watching our team on the PK. As the season has moved along we appear more and more to be playing an ever tighter box with very little pressure on the puck, especially on the points. It is no longer fun to watch the Jets on the PK. Even with a tight box we seem to allow opportunities from between the dots. Has our PK philosophy changed? Or have we inadvertantly reverted to old habbits?

I've been harping on it for weeks. We play a tight passive box. And that will not fly in the NHL this days. The players are simply too talented, if you give them time they WILL burn you. Guaranteed. We do not want to pressure the puck, we are reacting to them making plays, not forcing the teams to make the plays we want them to make. It's why our PK % is falling like a rock. Get guys with speed like Ladd, Little, Kane, Frolik, Halischuk out there pressuring the hell out of the opponents and you'll see our PK % start to go back up. Noel can't seem to figure this out.

C Plus

Jun 6, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
^ What he said.

In current times a passive box translates to "stand around and let them pass it as they please while giving them plenty of room to get quality shots off".

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
The Jets are 16th at 82.2% despite being shorthanded a league-high 90 times. I'm ok with 82.2%.

Considering some of our top guys kill penalties, I'm not sure if I'd want them playing super aggressive and tiring out chasing the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad