Our new players

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

Had a lot of spare time today so I made a quick video.

Thread can be used to discuss our new players, game by game, in one place. Looking forward to seeing McGinn play tomorrow. Although I kind of wish they would have given him more practice time. I think he'll fit in nicely with Rakell and Perry.

I'm not sure Pirri will fit our style, but he gives us options and we practically stole him off the Panthers. Unless he tears up the scoresheet the next couple of months he is a RFA we can afford to re-sign. Potential surprise player for next season on the cheap.

Tropp is a good AHL'ër and would have competed for ice time in the NHL on some of the worse teams in the league.

Gernat was probably just a throw in to even out contracts. Used to have upside. I'll root for him to turn a corner. He'll probably go to Europe or sign in the ECHL next season, but still included him in the video just to get the kid time in the spotlight.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013

Had a lot of spare time today so I made a quick video.

Thread can be used to discuss our new players, game by game, in one place. Looking forward to seeing McGinn play tomorrow. Although I kind of wish they would have given him more practice time. I think he'll fit in nicely with Rakell and Perry.

I'm not sure Pirri will fit our style, but he gives us options and we practically stole him off the Panthers. Unless he tears up the scoresheet the next couple of months he is a RFA we can afford to re-sign. Potential surprise player for next season on the cheap.

Tropp is a good AHL'ër and would have competed for ice time in the NHL on some of the worse teams in the league.

Gernat was probably just a throw in to even out contracts. Used to have upside. I'll root for him to turn a corner. He'll probably go to Europe or sign in the ECHL next season, but still included him in the video just to get the kid time in the spotlight.

I think Pirri is the type of player that BM was looking for when he acquired Hagelin. He's fast and has some high end scoring skills. I can see him with Rakell and Perry or on the Getzlaf line. When Maroon was on the Rakell and Perry line, Rakell did a lot of the fore-checking anyways. I wonder if Rakell will take the draws (since Pirri is subpar there), but then swing up to wing after and Pirri takes center responsibilities after that. On Getzlaf's wing, he would add speed and another quick shot. What I find funny is that he lead the AHL in assist with 50+ a couple years back and only had 2 assist last season w/22 goals. He had more assist then goals this season, but it's interesting he had Belesky like stats last season. He had the M.O. of being a playmaker, so he could end up being a 50 pt guy. Would have been right around there if he played a full season last year.

McGinn will fit right in on Getzlaf or Perry's line. He plays a power game and gets to the net. He averages between 15-20 goals a year and adds a physical presence. Some guys that I'd have liked to add more, but he's an upgrade to the roster for sure. Be interesting to see what happens when Stewart comes back. His game was really coming on before he got hurt.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I've seen the Panthers a lot the last couple of years. Probably the team I've watched the most after Anaheim. I'd say Pirri has average speed. For a player his size it wouldn't hurt if he got faster. But mostly he needs to get stronger. He's not gonna win a lot of battles for loose pucks. Don't see the Hagelin comparsion at all. If Pirri is what Murray wanted in Hagelin, than he did a poor job scouting Hagelin. Pirri is a straight up sniper. Loves to shoot and he shoots hard. Hagelin is a sparky 2-way winger who is far from a natural scorer.

I've liked McGinn since he came up as a rookie on the Sharks. Too bad it's a longshot he'll re-sign here. He's one of those guys that's going to be overpaid on the open market.

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
Sweet video :handclap:

When it comes to speed, Pirri isn't exactly Hagelin but he's no Pat Maroon either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad