Our last 3 game win streak was in February 2019, and we are 15-16-6 since then

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
1st in Corsi, 29th in SV%

yeah blaming the goalies seems pretty fair
You just can’t underestimate how bad the goaltending has been. Even decent tending and we would be fine. Nobody is saying this team is firing on all cylinders but our goaltending has been abysmal, the save percentage doesn’t lie and it’s not like they’re grade A chances either.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
6-3 W vs Montreal on February 23rd
5-3 W vs Buffalo on February 25th
6-2 W vs Edmonton on February 27th

All non playoff teams (at the time). Then the rest of the regular season we went 7-8-4, lost in 7 games to the Bruins, and are off to a 4-3-1 start after 8 games, making our record 14-15-5 ever since. Or 11-11-5 if you don't wanna count the playoff games, but that's still a bad record for a team with supposedly so much talent and skill.

With us seeing the same old Leafs to start this year, our problems may be deeper than people think. This team may not be that good after all, or it could be a coaching issue. We blamed Gardiner, Hainsey, Babcock, DJ Smith (D coach before he left to OTT) last season, now who can we blame? Is it the players? Is this team too soft? Heartless? Is it Babcock's system?

Something isn't right with this team, and we have 4 players making 40 million dollars here, it needs to get figured out fast or we could miss the playoffs.
Not to be nasty,but SO What? New faces (lots of them),new season...The hell has last year have to do with now? They haven't won the Cup since '67...For sure there is something wrong!

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
The Leafs have only made the playoffs 3 of the last 6 years. That's only 50%. Id say based on history they're due to miss this year.

Right guys?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Let me know when corsi decides who wins games.

Also, we have the 4th worst corsi against.

This is a team issue. Not just a goaltending one.

Wrong, we have the 12th best corsi against. 13th best shots against and 10th best scoring chances against.

Just gotta filter to get corsi/60 as we have had one of the most hectic schedules.

Compared to recent (and not so recent) history, the team is off to a fantastic defensive start.

Team would be around 6-2 (at least) with average goaltending IMO.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
You just can’t underestimate how bad the goaltending has been. Even decent tending and we would be fine. Nobody is saying this team is firing on all cylinders but our goaltending has been abysmal, the save percentage doesn’t lie and it’s not like they’re grade A chances either.
Fred SV% is 10th worst in the league. Facing just under 30 shots per 60.

11th worst for Saves per 60. A GAA (3.14) that is worse than Craig Anderson.

Has a negative GSAA/60 @ – 0.41.

HDSV% of 0.774
MDSV% of 0.854
LDSV% of 0.948

He's stopping majority of the useless low danger shots, below average for middle danger, and just putrid for high danger.

What good is a starting goalie that can't stop the HD and MD chances against? We need a goalie to stop those chances to remain competitive. An above average goalie should be able to contribute a much better SV% for HD & MD chances. We're not paying Fred $5M to be a beast on low danger shot attempts.

Reactions: DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

HDSV% of 0.774
MDSV% of 0.854
LDSV% of 0.948

He's stopping majority of the useless low danger shots, below average for middle danger, and just putrid for high danger.

What good is a starting goalie that can't stop the HD and MD chances against? We need a goalie to stop those chances to remain competitive. An above average goalie should be able to contribute a much better SV% for HD & MD chances. We're not paying Fred $5M to be a beast on low danger shot attempts.
Good info thanks.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

HDSV% of 0.774
MDSV% of 0.854
LDSV% of 0.948

No worries. We’ve got lots of cap space to sign a new one.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Wrong, we have the 12th best corsi against. 13th best shots against and 10th best scoring chances against.

Just gotta filter to get corsi/60 as we have had one of the most hectic schedules.

Compared to recent (and not so recent) history, the team is off to a fantastic defensive start.

Team would be around 6-2 (at least) with average goaltending IMO.

Ah that's true, I was looking at totals and we have played extra games compared to most teams. Good point.

I haven't been able to catch every game so far so maybe I am missing something but this is another reason why I dont take advanced stats seriously. In the games I have watched, we are not top 15 defensively and we are not the best offensively either.

Imo we are lucky to have the record we do have.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
:eek:

But I had been assured Dubas was a good GM.
he is. Which GMs have purposely left millions in cap space in case they wanted to upgrade their starting goaltender after a slow 6 games? Also, feel free to look at the list of goalies making more than Andersen the Leafs could realistically trade for. it's slim pickings

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
nice cherry-picked stat!

hey, what's our record since March of 2015 when leading after 2 periods but blowing the lead ONLY when one of our 3rd liners takes a penalty with under 5 minutes remaining AND the goalie was pulled?

The 500 record is approaching a full calendar year.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Anderson got banged up and was never able to recover that well until the playoffs when, in his defense, he was one of the better goaltenders but went up against an all world version of Rask who carried his team to the finals. He's a quality keeper who has brutal Octobers and has frankly been the 2nd best keeper in every playoffs round. Only the media's love affair with him has stopped some harsh criticism from coming his way......but for some reason, I think he has a deep run in him for this year. I was very impressed with his Worlds performance after his awful first go round with the Bruins (which showed fatigue was not an issue) and I think he has more to give to this team and this city.

No, he gets criticized and is a candidate to not be re-signed if he can't win a game 7.
Its not looking good.

I said, he shouldn't be "player of the game" all the time, but not like this.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Dubas wanted to build a hardcore hockey team with softcore talent @ highball prices. The end result is a team that's really good some of the time but gets beat up the rest of the time. They also can't adapt during game to demands and overpower pressing teams. They fold under pressure because they have little spine.

That's why balanced teams are better. They can shift gears and combat a team pushing on you with adrenaline in other ways than just dangles. Dubas never played at a high level if at all so how would he know. Shanny just trusted him lol

How to fix? Probably...

Trade Marner, Barrie, Kappy, AJ and start to work the market re-balancing the team under a new GM.
They fold under pressure. *looks at record leading after 2 periods*. Huh.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I mean Babcock is still here and he's a pretty big part of the team so... It could very well just be him.

The guy is still up for he majority of the blame. Goaltending needs to be better. Andersen can't be shaky 50% of the time, but he usually figures it out. I haven't been impressed with Marner, even though he's our top scorer. Too inconsistent for an 11 mill player. A few other guys like Tavares and Rielly have been shaky at times too, but it's usually not long stretches. Matthews has been amazing, Nylander has been playing like he and Marner should be swapping point totals, our bottom 6 and role players has picked up a ton of slack, and for the most part I think our defense hasn't been awful outside of stupid mistakes.

This is a team that should be in a better spot than their record suggests, but they need some people to step up. Babcock is likely included in that mix.
PP1 vs PP2 is all that that is.

I'm sure that Marner will turn his 5 on 5 around. I'm just hoping that it's sooner than later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad