Our Core's Age

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Was discussing this a few places so I thought I would bring it here.

I think our team's core is younger than what people think it is. Right now we do have some older players who play key roles, Lupul and Phaneuf, who are 29 and 28. But I think for a team to be successful you have to keep the teams core age tight and have players playing in their prime at the same time, for that reason I'd say our team's core should be more in the 22-25 range...

Core between 22-25...

Gardiner 22
Kadri 22
Bernier 24
JvR 24
Reimer 25
Kessel 25
Franson 25

That fills...

JvR - ____ - Kessel
____ - Kadri - _____
_____ - _____ - _____
_____ - _____ - _____

_____ - _____
Gardiner - Franson
_____ - _____

Reimer
Bernier

This bracket covers....
1/2 of our top six fwd's
1/2 of out top four d
both our goalies

Maybe we need to see these as the pieces to build around.

What do you guys think it is? And, how does it effect how you feel about the players we try to bring in?

I like this idea. Lupul should be here for another 5 years and produce at a top 6 level if he can actually remain healthy. Hopefully we can pick up a piece in this years draft to slot into the line up as part of this group. I would include Lupes in the core group, Dion maybe not since I believe his stay here might be limited because I am guessing he is going to want 7+ after this year and Rielly will be stepping up in a year or two to fill a top 4 role.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
I'd really like to lock up Mcclement for a while. It feels good when we don't have to worry about our PK. Although...he is 30.

Totally agree, would love to get him on a 3 year deal worth around 2-2.5mil.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
And yes, Jay McClement shuts down Nash as well. We need to sign that guy for $3 million dollars long-term. :amazed:

PS: I think Kulemin is core if he is in a top 6 role. There is no way signing a guy for $2.8-3m just to be a checking winger is even sustainable. Our bottom 2 lines need to be low cost.

Last edited:

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
I love it on here when people get out their crystal ball and can see Dion being absoulutely usesless when he reaches his early thirties.
28 years old - in great shape - tough - not prone to injuries even though he plays a rough and tumble brand of hockey. But yep these guys can see the future and how easily his body will break down and he will become junk as a hockey player.

Then again these same people think that Lupul a year older than phaneuf and who ONLY has shown he is injury prone will be able to be a top 6 guy for the next 5 years.

Its absolutley stupid the hate for DP on this board from always the same people, yet
Lupul who has missed more games than anybody on our roster gets a free pass
because he is a funny personality type guy.

I like them both but if you criticize one the other should be included.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad