Our Core's Age

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Was discussing this a few places so I thought I would bring it here.

I think our team's core is younger than what people think it is. Right now we do have some older players who play key roles, Lupul and Phaneuf, who are 29 and 28. But I think for a team to be successful you have to keep the teams core age tight and have players playing in their prime at the same time, for that reason I'd say our team's core should be more in the 22-25 range...

Core between 22-25...

Gardiner 22
Kadri 22
Bernier 24
JvR 24
Reimer 25
Kessel 25
Franson 25

That fills...

JvR - ____ - Kessel
____ - Kadri - _____
_____ - _____ - _____
_____ - _____ - _____

_____ - _____
Gardiner - Franson
_____ - _____

Reimer
Bernier

This bracket covers....
1/2 of our top six fwd's
1/2 of out top four d
both our goalies

Maybe we need to see these as the pieces to build around.

What do you guys think it is? And, how does it effect how you feel about the players we try to bring in?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I'd count Phaneuf (28) as a piece of that core, but not Lupul (29), simply because defensemen can sustain a higher level of play longer than forwards can. For example, I think Phaneuf has as many quality years left as Kessel.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I'd count Phaneuf (28) as a piece of that core, but not Lupul (29), simply because defensemen can sustain a higher level of play longer than forwards can. For example, I think Phaneuf has as many quality years left as Kessel.

Yup, and its not like Phaneuf has been plagued by injuries or anything.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

True... but Kessel can afford to lose a lil speed due to age, if Phaneuf loses more speed due to age he'd become pretty useless. I think Kessel with his complete offensive game (he can score from a wrister, going to the net, snap-shot, make a sick pass, etc.) will have more quality years than Phaneuf as Phaneuf will become a pretty bad d-man if he loses any foot-speed.

But I can see where you're coming from and I think your statement could easily be true.

On to the topic, both our goalies won't be part of our "core"... whoever proves more in the next few years (depends on how they handle competition) will be part of our core. And it's insane how much Kessel has done (hit ppg twice, 30 goals in last 4? seasons, testicular cancer, PPG in playoffs, etc.) and he's only fricken 25!!

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Was discussing this a few places so I thought I would bring it here.

I think our team's core is younger than what people think it is. Right now we do have some older players who play key roles, Lupul and Phaneuf, who are 29 and 28. But I think for a team to be successful you have to keep the teams core age tight and have players playing in their prime at the same time, for that reason I'd say our team's core should be more in the 22-25 range...

Core between 22-25...

Gardiner 22
Kadri 22
Bernier 24
JvR 24
Reimer 25
Kessel 25
Franson 25

That fills...

JvR - ____ - Kessel
____ - Kadri - _____
_____ - _____ - _____
_____ - _____ - _____

_____ - _____
Gardiner - Franson
_____ - _____

Reimer
Bernier

This bracket covers....
1/2 of our top six fwd's
1/2 of out top four d
both our goalies

Maybe we need to see these as the pieces to build around.

What do you guys think it is? And, how does it effect how you feel about the players we try to bring in?

Nope... If your core is this young and you surround them with playoff performers like Horton (who i'd like to bring in for the right price) or even good players that put the core players in a place to succeed (Weiss/Stastny bumping Kadri down to #2 C) you'll have a core that grows/matures and knows how to win/what to do to succeed.

Also, I never really wanted to bring in any veterans except maybe as a placeholder at #2D. (Also the guys I want aren't really that old).

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
We have to start winning soon. The minute this core gets into their late 20s and early 30s, we'll turn into the Canucks, No Cap space, tuns of NTC and a dead prospect pool.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
We have to start winning soon. The minute this core gets into their late 20s and early 30s, we'll turn into the Canucks, No Cap space, tuns of NTC and a dead prospect pool.

Meh we have got at least 5-8 years. Rielly, Kadri, Gardiner will be mid 20s by then and our new prospects will move in.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
Kessel will be fine. His body won't ware down because he rarely puts himself in a position to get hit. The only way he wears down is he gets fat.

wulfio*

that's such a narrow point of view. there's no reason you can't have sustainability if you put invest in player development and scouting. Look at detroit...

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
I can't believe Phaneuf is 28. I feel like I haven't actually looked at his age in a couple years.

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
True... but Kessel can afford to lose a lil speed due to age, if Phaneuf loses more speed due to age he'd become pretty useless. I think Kessel with his complete offensive game (he can score from a wrister, going to the net, snap-shot, make a sick pass, etc.) will have more quality years than Phaneuf as Phaneuf will become a pretty bad d-man if he loses any foot-speed.

But I can see where you're coming from and I think your statement could easily be true.

On to the topic, both our goalies won't be part of our "core"... whoever proves more in the next few years (depends on how they handle competition) will be part of our core. And it's insane how much Kessel has done (hit ppg twice, 30 goals in last 4? seasons, testicular cancer, PPG in playoffs, etc.) and he's only fricken 25!!

I don't see phaneufs game dropping off much with age, because he doesn't rely on his speed. That is the part of someone's game you see drop off the most. Kessels game is built off speed. He has been working on other areas which is promising, but with how he is right now, if he lost his speed, he would lose most of his effectiveness.

member 147413

I think Mcclement is a core piece... As funny as that sounds.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I don't see phaneufs game dropping off much with age, because he doesn't rely on his speed. That is the part of someone's game you see drop off the most. Kessels game is built off speed. He has been working on other areas which is promising, but with how he is right now, if he lost his speed, he would lose most of his effectiveness.

He'd still have a lethal wrist shot, not to mention playmaking. I'm sure he'd still be an offensive threat.

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
He'd still have a lethal wrist shot, not to mention playmaking. I'm sure he'd still be an offensive threat.

He'd have to make a big adjustment though. The reason D last longer is because they dont really have to adjust when they slow down. They just have to make sure their positioning is sound. Kessels whole play style would have to change. He has the tools to make the change, but the fact remains a change would have to be made.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Phaneuf is not the kind of player who will be able to remain effective when his body starts to age. Right now, his physical tools compensate for his lack of mental ability. When he starts to slow down, he's going to get really bad really fast.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Phaneuf is not the kind of player who will be able to remain effective when his body starts to age. Right now, his physical tools compensate for his lack of mental ability. When he starts to slow down, he's going to get really bad really fast.

/insert lotto numbers joke

Really though, you're talking like everyone ages the same way. That's absolutely impossible to know; don't act like you do.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
/insert lotto numbers joke

Really though, you're talking like everyone ages the same way. That's absolutely impossible to know; don't act like you do.

I never predicted when he would start to age. He's just the kind of guy that its going to hurt a lot when it happens.

wulfio*

but you'd need to put him with the version of kadri where he's realized his potential.

Otherwise, he wouldn't be able to do much. If you watch kessel, he's not really that great at protecting the puck, and if someone leans on him, he's losing his balance and getting knocked off the puck. Pretty much every opportunity he gets is a result of his explosiveness and speed.

even with his playmaking, 2 and 3 guys are watching him, or a d partner is compensating because they know kessel has the ability to blow by everyone in the league. which results in linemates having lots of open ice to get to for golden opportunities.

I like physical players a lot more, or like when a guy like crosby is just dominant in the cycle because of his insane lower body strength. but i like kessel a lot in spite of his deficiencies. I'm just worried that when he gets in to his late 20's, and he loses that kid metabolism, those cookies are going to catch up to him in a big way. I hope he realizes he needs to get in touch with a guy like gary roberts soon.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia

Phaneuf's shut down game doesn't really have a speed competent. He is a really an intelligent guy - who makes parsimonious choices - in his own zone. I can see him remaining a part of our core a lot more than say, Kadri or Gardiner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad