Our Best Squad to never win the Cup

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
Like others I'm going crazy without any hockey to watch. I was so used to the compressed schedule where it seemed like our team was playing every other day. That being said I wanted to poll the board and see which of the three squads you feel was the best one to not win the cup? It's an interesting debate because not everyone agrees that the 06 squad was the best. Maybe some felt the 03 one was the best or that the 07 was the best because they made it the furthest.

I actually think myself the 03 squad was the most talented one to not win the cup and was actually closer than the 07 squad was. The only way I feel the 07 team would have won is if they had played Detroit but even then there were no guarantees. The 03 squad would have stomped the mighty ducks in 4-5 and even devils players felt like we would have won the cup that year if we had won that game 7.

Last edited:

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
Hard to give a nickname to that 03 team but I suppose if you wanted to give them a nickname then lunch pail team would be a good one since everyone pulled their weight on that squad and worked their ass off. Any chance a mod can edit the poll to change 03 team to 2003 Lunch Pail Team?

The Fuhr*

Our lockout team with Hasek a year younger
Varada - Smolinski - Hossa
?? - White - Alfredsson
Schaefer - Spezza - Havlat
Vermette - Fisher - Neil

Redden - Devries
Phillips - Chara
Volchenkov - Pothier

Hasek
Prusek

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Our lockout team with Hasek a year younger
Varada - Smolinski - Hossa
?? - White - Alfredsson
Schaefer - Spezza - Havlat
Vermette - Fisher - Neil

Redden - Devries
Phillips - Chara
Volchenkov - Pothier

Hasek
Prusek

This.

Although I believe the OP was talking about team that actually played and was assembled and just didn't win.

I'd say 2006 but then Hasek wasn't playing so can't add him to the fold with a brutal Emery.

I'll go 2003 mainly cause we would have won the ****ing cup but ****ing Redden and Lalime ****ed up.

k, i'm voting 2006.

LynxBud

Nov 27, 2013
Gloucester
I'd say the 2003 team was the best Sens team to not win the cup. I really believe if the Senators had won that Game 7, the cup was theirs.
That was the easily the most heartbreaking game I have ever watch. Was 12 years old and I cried like a baby.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
This.

Although I believe the OP was talking about team that actually played and was assembled and just didn't win.

I'd say 2006 but then Hasek wasn't playing so can't add him to the fold with a brutal Emery.

I'll go 2003 mainly cause we would have won the ****ing cup but ****ing Redden and Lalime ****ed up.

k, i'm voting 2006.

2003 was the year the Sens should have won the cup. Best overall team was the lockout team though

rbkhockey29

May 3, 2007
Maryland
The 2003 team was the best chance to win. IMHO better than the finals squad. That game 7 took a piece of my heart out and I will never forget it as long as I live.. :shakehead

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
The 2003 team was the best chance to win. IMHO better than the finals squad. That game 7 took a piece of my heart out and I will never forget it as long as I live.. :shakehead

I fully agree. We outplayed the hell out of those devils, while getting average goaltending. It tore me to shreds when I heard Daneyko say we deserved to be in the Finals over the devils and would have easily beaten that incarnation of Anaheim for the Cup.

Ow, you just ripped open the scab again.

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Like what Saskriders said..

2006 - IF Hasek skips out on the Olympics and doesn't bust his groin, we win the cup. Probably the most complete team we've ever had.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Voted 2003. A more complete and balanced team. And as was mentioned, had we made it to the finals, the cup was ours for the taking. :(

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
I'd say the 2003 team was the best Sens team to not win the cup. I really believe if the Senators had won that Game 7, the cup was theirs.
That was the easily the most heartbreaking game I have ever watch. Was 12 years old and I cried like a baby.

I was AT that game. On what was basically a first date. I cried like a baby too...

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
2003 we were basically one goal away from the cup.

2006 we were one healthy goalie away IMO, but thats a bit of a longer shot.

2007...I just wish we didnt have such a ridiculously long wait for the finals. I think it really killed that team. I also wish the refs had shown up for the finals.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
03 team quite easily, if Lalime could stop a beach ball in games 2,3,4 against New Jersey it would have been a short series.

Huston

Sep 23, 2006
London

Yep, that was their year to beat the Ducks. Not the 2007 Ducks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad