26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
the thing is, we're already very crowded in Laval:

Guhle Barron
Harris Fairbrother
Xhekaj Norlinder
Brook

plus all the D from this year...

didn't think we needed extra d for laval. I more thought we needed NHL vets just in case Guhle, Barron, and Harris aren't ready for full time NHL duty.

Last edited:

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal

Guhle Barron
Harris Fairbrother
Xhekaj Brook

didn't think we needed extra d for laval. I more thought we needed NHL vets just in case Guhle, Barron, and Harris aren't ready for full time NHL duty.
Think its safe to say Guhle Barron and harris will all see action in both montreal and laval
When they go down Leskinen can still go up, and help the tanking lol
Belpedio, Niku and Ouellet are UFAs, this signing may mean they not all coming back?

Reactions: Redux91

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

Guhle Barron
Harris Fairbrother
Xhekaj Brook

Brook won't be retained. Previous GM's pick who has shown nothing and played in the ECHL playoffs while the AHL squad were going on a run. I would expect Schuneman as the only D back of the expiring contracts. Bye to Ouellet, Niku, Belpedio as well. I'd expect a similar purge of the forwards.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Guhle Barron
Harris Fairbrother
Xhekaj Brook

Brook is an RFA. Will be interesting to see if Habs will qualify him or if they will simply let him go to free agency. But I wouldn't pencil him in. You forgot Norlinder.

As for Guhle, Harris, and Barron, it will be interesting to see if either of them will stay in Montreal and one or two will be in Laval.

I think Guhle will be in the NHL.

But we can't forget 3R also. They could come in handy next year and the year after with the influx of prospects that will be turning pro.

Reactions: Redux91

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
That is very odd, I thought he should have stayed last season as he did play really well in Laval and I thought he might have a shot at being a 7th or 8th D for us. If he's back for Laval then that's big as I had hoped for a lot more from Niku, who can clearly pass the puck well but the rest of his game is just a nightmare. I thought it was odd that he left last summer but perhaps he felt he couldn't crack the lineup of a team that just went to the Finals and after seeing what has happened to us since then, and now he is too good for Liiga and I assume most non Russians will not be looking to go to the KHL next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoopersFalls

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Brook is an RFA. Will be interesting to see if Habs will qualify him or if they will simply let him go to free agency. But I wouldn't pencil him in. You forgot Norlinder.

As for Guhle, Harris, and Barron, it will be interesting to see if either of them will stay in Montreal and one or two will be in Laval.

I think Guhle will be in the NHL.

But we can't forget 3R also. They could come in handy next year and the year after with the influx of prospects that will be turning pro.

Yes, with all those D I still felt I was forgetting someone - there is also Norlinder. And Hughes says he wants to have vets in case the young guys aren't ready because he doesn't want to rush them.

I suppose Leskinen could be one of those vets who plays NHL if the young guys aren't ready...

If I had to wager, it's hard for me to wager against any of Harris, Guhle, and Barron.

Harris is already 22. So I'm not worried about rushing him. Barron and Guhle wouldn't be hurt by more AHL seasoning than less. So I'm fine with them starting in the A. But part of me wonders if Barron isn't good enough to learn on the job in the NHL as long as MSL keeps sending him out there even after mistakes. That may be the fastest way for him to learn the most... he seemed to be getting more comfortable in his short stint before the injury.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Brook won't be retained. Previous GM's pick who has shown nothing and played in the ECHL playoffs while the AHL squad were going on a run. I would expect Schuneman as the only D back of the expiring contracts. Bye to Ouellet, Niku, Belpedio as well. I'd expect a similar purge of the forwards.
Belpidio is awesome. I think they try and find room for him.

Reactions: Wats

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I want to keep track of all Hughes contract. I am intrigued because of his background as a player agent. What is the list of players he signed?

malton

Feb 17, 2009
I assume he'll be the 7th Dman in Montreal.

Edmunson - Savard
Romanov - Wideman
Harris - Clague
Leskinen

Guhle - Barron
Norlinder - Fairbrother
Xhekaj - Schueneman

durojean

May 29, 2007
I would not be surprised to actually see Leskinen in the NHL.

I feel like the way to go is to gave one more year to our young d in the AHL. And make sure we don't have to use them in the NHL. Expept maybe Barron because he got his year in the AHL under the belt last year.

Just imagine Laval defence looking like that next year

Guhle Barron
Harris Xhekaj
Norlinder Ouellet/Belpedio, Brook.

Habs D looking like that right now

Petry Edmunston
Romanov Savard
Leskinen Wideman

Schueneman + Maybe a free agent.

Jul 6, 2016
I assume he'll be the 7th Dman in Montreal.

Edmunson - Savard
Romanov - Wideman
Harris - Clague
Leskinen

Guhle - Barron
Norlinder - Fairbrother
Xhekaj - Schueneman
I strongly doubt they would keep Clague. They will acquire another RD on the UFA market or via a trade , and or play Barron.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
I strongly doubt they would keep Clague. They will acquire another RD on the UFA market or via a trade , and or play Barron.
I'd keep him. Nothing to lose, might be able to flip him for an asset down the line.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

I feel like the way to go is to gave one more year to our young d in the AHL. And make sure we don't have to use them in the NHL. Expept maybe Barron because he got his year in the AHL under the belt last year.

Guhle Barron
Harris Xhekaj

Petry Edmunston
Romanov Savard
Leskinen Wideman

There's a fair chance for Laval's defense to be better ;)

We should overplay Leskinen next season in case he Chialak himself into a 1st or 2nd round draft pick. :sarcasm:

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
There's a fair chance for Laval's defense to be better ;)

We should overplay Leskinen next season in case he Chialak himself into a 1st or 2nd round draft pick. :sarcasm:

No chance of that happening unless we go on another inhumane run? Haha

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Think its safe to say Guhle Barron and harris will all see action in both montreal and laval
When they go down Leskinen can still go up, and help the tanking lol
Belpedio, Niku and Ouellet are UFAs, this signing may mean they not all coming back?
I don't think Belpedio and Niku will return.

Ouellet might, if he is willing to stay in the AHL indefinitely, close to home.

Belpedio might get a shot at a 7D NHL position elsewhere, he is UFA.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Belpedio might get a shot at a 7D NHL position elsewhere, he is UFA.

Guhle Barron
Harris Xhekaj

Petry Edmunston
Romanov Savard
Leskinen Wideman

Schueneman is not an NHL defenceman. We will very likely have at least one or maybe two youngsters in Montreal at a time. Guhle or Harris or Barron - 1or two at a time.

Reactions: 1909

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad