Ottersoep's Powerrankings

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I think Keita is liverpool joker. If he plays up to his full potential, he could turn the midfield from very good to exceptional. He has shown progress toward the end of last year prior to his injury and during this pre-season so there's hope.

I do think that Gini/Milner/Henderson are not sexy players by any mean but they are very constant and better than given credit for.

As for Fabinho to me, coule be in the discussion for the best holding midfielder in the world. He was amazing and the key player at breaking Barcelona offense at Anfield. He also has shown his ability to provide offensively and I expect hin to show more his offensive side this year.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
There are many midfielders I'd take over Fabinho based on last year's performances. I wouldn't say he did anything particularly exceptional vs. Barcelona. They had chances early in the game but folded after missing them and Liverpool breaking the game open; there was just no spark there. I still think the jury is out a bit on him as an elite player...he does some nice things, but I find he's too risky for that position. We gave up a bunch of goals because he takes himself out of position, and fully out of the play at times, with reckless tackles and steps up the field when it's not necessary. His offensive contribution is good for a DM but I think we'd be better if Wijnaldum held that position and Fabinho played as an 8 (our defensive record with Wijnaldum as the 6 is pristine). Either way a midfield of Wijnaldum/Fabinho/Keita (fit and in form) is up there with any midfield out there.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
There are many midfielders I'd take over Fabinho based on last year's performances. I wouldn't say he did anything particularly exceptional vs. Barcelona. They had chances early in the game but folded after missing them and Liverpool breaking the game open; there was just no spark there. I still think the jury is out a bit on him as an elite player...he does some nice things, but I find he's too risky for that position. We gave up a bunch of goals because he takes himself out of position, and fully out of the play at times, with reckless tackles and steps up the field when it's not necessary. His offensive contribution is good for a DM but I think we'd be better if Wijnaldum held that position and Fabinho played as an 8 (our defensive record with Wijnaldum as the 6 is pristine). Either way a midfield of Wijnaldum/Fabinho/Keita (fit and in form) is up there with any midfield out there.
I do know that you have an hard crush on Wijnaldum and that you also hated Can and now apparently not convinced with Fabinho. I am thinking you hate physicality in the midfield.

I am the exact opposite of you. I thibk Wijnaldum is no where near close at Fabinho at breaking counter attack and winning ball in the air. I believe playing Wijnaldum as holding midfielder would be a great mistake, he is very passive in his defensive game and not agressive enough not to mention he is at best when he can dribble and control the play with short passes.

Fabinho is the closest thing we've had since Mascherano. He has long legs and great timing and he is great at breaking plays with his tackles. Something we have been lacking for so long. Henderson, Wijnaldum are very passive defender and hardly ever make slide tackle. Milner and Fabinho are way more agressive and wins way more ball.

Fabinho tackles are a thing of beauty. Even backchecking he is able to make perfect tackles which is very hard to do while not getting a red.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I do know that you have an hard crush on Wijnaldum and that you also hated Can and now apparently not convinced with Fabinho. I am thinking you hate physicality in the midfield.

I am the exact opposite of you. I thibk Wijnaldum is no where near close at Fabinho at breaking counter attack and winning ball in the air. I believe playing Wijnaldum as holding midfielder would be a great mistake, he is very passive in his defensive game and not agressive enough not to mention he is at best when he can dribble and control the play with short passes.

Fabinho is the closest thing we've had since Mascherano. He has long legs and great timing and he is great at breaking plays with his tackles. Something we have been lacking for so long. Henderson, Wijnaldum are very passive defender and hardly ever make slide tackle. Milner and Fabinho are way more agressive and wins way more ball.

Fabinho tackles are a thing of beauty. Even backchecking he is able to make perfect tackles which is very hard to do while not getting a red.
I'm not speaking from a place of 'what if' though, I'm talking about facts. Nobody was dribbled past more (usually led to by a missed tackle) in Liverpool's midfield (per game) than Fabinho last season so hardly a perfect tackler, and Wijnaldum was one of the top 3 midfielders in Europe in that respect last season (IIRC). He has played the 6 already a decent amount for Liverpool and the statistics back up that when he is our 6 is when we have our best defensive numbers. It's not just that I really like Wijnaldum; it's also backed up by the results. Slide tackles are super risky which is why, IMO, most of the best defenders/defensive midfielders only use them if absolutely necessary (how often do you see van Dijk go to ground?) As far as the aerial part is concerned...it's not really an issue, when you read the game well the only place you desperately need to win headers usually is close to the box and our defenders are more than capable there.

Can was awful and our team was always better without him, and improved by leaps and bounds after he left (him refusing to stay despite Klopp wanting to keep him was such a blessing for this team).

I'm fine with physicality if it's necessary, but it's usually not. I don't have anything against Fabinho (he's a massive upgrade on Can for example), but at the end of the day I think the 6 might not really be the best place for him and I'm not sold that he can be labeled as 'world class'.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I'd like to know why you have Porto rated higher than Benfica, or on the list at all, because that squad is shit.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
I'd like to know why you have Porto rated higher than Benfica, or on the list at all, because that squad is ****.

They both lost a crap load of talent, but I believe Porto to rebound. Not expecting both to be nearly as good as in previous years in terms of European football, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00