Ottersoep's Powerrankings

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
EDIT: Ottersoep is my name on a dutch site. Never mind that. Mods can change that one.

A little too early perhaps with the transfer window still open for most of Europe, so teams can still move up and down. I graded each team's current offense, midfield and defense/goalkeeper, so that's with all the moves made today. A higher rating doesn't necessarily mean a team is better. Some teams have better systems, coaches or are just on the rise. This isn't always included.

Anyway, this is always good fun for discussion.

Team FW MF D/GK
1Barcelona 95 93 89
2Manchester City 91 91 85
3Real Madrid 91 90 88
4Liverpool 91 84 90
5Juventus 90 85 89
6PSG 93 84 86
7Bayern München 87 84 90
8Tottenham Hotspurs 88 90 86
9Atletico Madrid 85 85 83
10Arsenal 90 84 81
11Napoli 85 80 85
12Borussia Dortmund 83 85 81
13Manchester United 81 84 87
14Internazionale 85 80 85
15Chelsea 80 85 84
16Ajax 84 79 80
17Bayer Leverkussen 81 83 80
18Olympique Lyon 82 79 80
19Valencia 81 80 80
20AC Milan 80 81 81
21FC Porto 81 81 79
22Sevilla 80 80 79
23AS Roma 80 79 79
24Everton 82 80 80
25RB Leipzig 81 80 79
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Missed the cut:
Zenit Sint-Petersburg, Getafe, Atalanta, Benfica.

Last edited:

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Leipzig, Dortmund, City and Atletico defense is underrated. United's defense is overrated.
Dortmund's offense also underrated.
Our midfield has too many question marks to be that high IMO, Bayern feels underrated.

Overall I liked the rankings :thumbu::D

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Liverpool should be high. Atlético defence needs to be a lot higher and as Vas said United defence lower.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Don't forget that the rating for defense also includes goalkeeping. I do think Leipzig's defense could be a tad higher. Atletico lost their entire backline, I am a bit sceptic about giving them a higher grade for defense.

I don't take any midfield over Barca's. I agree about the question marks, but I think it will all work out great this year.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Don't forget that the rating for defense also includes goalkeeping. I do think Leipzig's defense could be a tad higher. Atletico lost their entire backline, I am a bit sceptic about giving them a higher grade for defense.

I don't take any midfield over Barca's. I agree about the question marks, but I think it will all work out great this year.
Atleti kept their best defender and still have Oblak a top 3 keeper right now. Sure they lost Lucas,Godin and Luis but 2/3 are over the hill and Lucas is average. They replaced all of those guys.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I can live with that for Spurs. Overall I think the ranking for Spurs in attack, midfield and defence is quite reasonable (not that it is reasonable that Spurs is better than Liverpool at anything based on the last couple of days, but...).

Worse D then Liverpool is true. Worse attack than Arsenal I can certainly understand. If DDG bounces back slightly worse D than Utd is reasonable. All in all quite impressive.

The only team I think is completely out of position is RM. Don´t think that reflects the actual quality of the current team.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Individually RM attack is that, they have elite players in almost all positions, but so far playing together the end result... Is not like that. Same for midfield

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
I think we're better than RM. Our midfield is better than that.

I had Liverpool third in my original try. I just feel more confident with Madrid having a stronger season with all their impressive buys. They bolstered their squad at every position and even got their successful coach back. Liverpool stood pat. Nothing wrong with that after having just won the CL, but I really feel they missed an opportunity here. I think their forwards and defense are both equally impressive. I can't see a single Liverpool midfielder cracking Madrid's starting line up, so I do think their midfield is that much worse. I can't see them winning the CL or PL this year, as much as I am rooting for them in England.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I had Liverpool third in my original try. I just feel more confident with Madrid having a stronger season with all their impressive buys. They bolstered their squad at every position and even got their successful coach back. Liverpool stood pat. Nothing wrong with that after having just won the CL, but I really feel they missed an opportunity here. I think their forwards and defense are both equally impressive. I can't see a single Liverpool midfielder cracking Madrid's starting line up, so I do think their midfield is that much worse. I can't see them winning the CL or PL this year, as much as I am rooting for them in England.

It's fair that you'd say a single Liverpool midfielder wouldn't crack their lineup, although I do disagree with Casemiro over Fabinho and would never do that. I would take our unit as a whole with how they play, over theirs without a second thought. The coach is of course a large part of team rankings. ZZ has won a lot, but doing so without Ronaldo is new ground.

I do also question the ultimate impact of some of their transfers. Hazard is an exception to this of course, but I'm thinking about Jovic and Militao. Both are good players, but next season anyway I'm uncertain that they're equipped to immediately replace the players in front of them. It still remains unclear what will happen with Rodriguez and Pogba too.

Like Vas said, with them having elite players at every position, but it not working like that on the pitch, I think that's quite true. The same can be said for Bayern of late, which is why I thought you placed them pretty well.

Reactions: Ajacied

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
No bigger fan of Modric than me. Best player I have ever seen live (never seen Messi live and Ronaldo was past his best by the time I saw him). And even if he is still sensationally good for his age in that position he isn’t miles better than what Liverpool got any longer. I rate Casemiro. Horses for courses kind of thing. Definitely not miles better than what Liverpool got. In my eyes on par. Several Liverpool players I would take over Kroos.

Name for name RM are stronger. In reality these days I think it is close and as a unit Liverpool are better.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Militao is gonna be a cracking buy, I hate RM.

Agreed. Only thinking next year though, when it's time for him to take someone's place, it's going to destroy the team atmosphere when Ramos is replaced. So, I don't really know what he'll do next season is all I'm saying.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
No bigger fan of Modric than me. Best player I have ever seen live (never seen Messi live and Ronaldo was past his best by the time I saw him). And even if he is still sensationally good for his age in that position he isn’t miles better than what Liverpool got any longer. I rate Casemiro. Horses for courses kind of thing. Definitely not miles better than what Liverpool got. In my eyes on par. Several Liverpool players I would take over Kroos.

Name for name RM are stronger. In reality these days I think it is close and as a unit Liverpool are better.

I also included Isco as a midfielder whom I am a big fan of. James Rodriguez, too. I just feel they have much more talent there, though I can definitely see where you are coming from. I think Liverpool's midfield is very compact and defensively sound. They are just much of the same. They just have zero creativity and offensive potential.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I also included Isco as a midfielder whom I am a big fan of. James Rodriguez, too. I just feel they have much more talent there, though I can definitely see where you are coming from. I think Liverpool's midfield is very compact and defensively sound. They are just much of the same. They just have zero creativity and offensive potential.

Yeah. I don't like fat Isco. No denying his quality when he is somewhat fit, but throughout a season I find him very average. But I realize I rate him lower than most.

To me this is almost two extremes. RM got huge names and guys like Modric and Kroos used to justify their "names" and then some, but not any longer - at least not Kroos. James also got this reputation, but even if he isn't a bad player it feels to me like his name is a lot bigger than his quality. Same with Isco.

Liverpool is almost the opposite. We got a couple of posters on here who hype Liverpool-players, but in general I think guys like Henderson and Milner are underrated. Maybe also Ox. The two first are clearly "role players" that are very well suited to Klopp's system. Not suggesting they would ever improve RM's midfield if they moved. Keita I guess could go either way. For me the only one Liverpool got with a better reputation than shown quality (at least in England). Ox, Fabinho (after a slow start in England) and especially Wijnaldum are excellent. For the style Klopp plays that is very good depth to me. And if Fabinho can continue with his improvements, Ox is fully fit and back to his best and Keita becomes the player Liverpool thought they had bought - then I would take Liverpool's midfield over RM.

In my head it is the same situation up front for RM. Maybe the young Brazilians will shine? I don't know them very well, but for the established players, even with Hazard, I would never have swapped Kane, Son and Eriksen for Benzema, Jovic (maybe Asensio if fit?) and Hazard. And I definitely would have taken the Liverpool 3 over RMs - even if I believe RM got better depth than Liverpool up front.

For me RM is behind at least Liverpool and PSG. This will probably come back and bite me, but I wouldn't mind Spurs playing them in the CL either.

I also think Ajax might be a bit optimistic, but I honestly don't know enough about what is left. I remember watching Ajax play Rosenborg and not long after Ajax is one of the best teams in Europe. Things changes quickly in both directions for that club - so you would know that much better than me.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Yeah. I don't like fat Isco. No denying his quality when he is somewhat fit, but throughout a season I find him very average. But I realize I rate him lower than most.

To me this is almost two extremes. RM got huge names and guys like Modric and Kroos used to justify their "names" and then some, but not any longer - at least not Kroos. James also got this reputation, but even if he isn't a bad player it feels to me like his name is a lot bigger than his quality. Same with Isco.

Liverpool is almost the opposite. We got a couple of posters on here who hype Liverpool-players, but in general I think guys like Henderson and Milner are underrated. Maybe also Ox. The two first are clearly "role players" that are very well suited to Klopp's system. Not suggesting they would ever improve RM's midfield if they moved. Keita I guess could go either way. For me the only one Liverpool got with a better reputation than shown quality (at least in England). Ox, Fabinho (after a slow start in England) and especially Wijnaldum are excellent. For the style Klopp plays that is very good depth to me. And if Fabinho can continue with his improvements, Ox is fully fit and back to his best and Keita becomes the player Liverpool thought they had bought - then I would take Liverpool's midfield over RM.

All fair points. I just expect Real Madrid to rebound and feel their acquisitions will fit in well. Liverpool doing nothing this window will come back to hurt them, especially since I feel they have a glaring hole at midfield (creative CAM). Mind you I am much more of a Liverpool fan than I am a fan of Madrid, who I despise, so I only hope to be proven wrong.

In my head it is the same situation up front for RM. Maybe the young Brazilians will shine? I don't know them very well, but for the established players, even with Hazard, I would never have swapped Kane, Son and Eriksen for Benzema, Jovic (maybe Asensio if fit?) and Hazard. And I definitely would have taken the Liverpool 3 over RMs - even if I believe RM got better depth than Liverpool up front.

For me RM is behind at least Liverpool and PSG. This will probably come back and bite me, but I wouldn't mind Spurs playing them in the CL either.

I like the potential of Hazard - Benzema/Jovic - Asensio, but it's also about depth indeed. Real Madrid can bring one of Benzema/Jovic in when they are in need of a goal. On the wings they have Junior and Rodrigo, even Bale to some extend. Liverpool can bring in Origi and Shaqiri. Liverpool's starting trio is world class, though. Well proven and they have plenty of chemistry. I do think they are a tad overrated around here, but I might get some hate for that. It seems as if one of them is always hurting a bit from the other two their successes.

I can see why most would like Madrid to be a bit lower on this list. I could very well live with them being behind Liverpool, Juve or even PSG. It's just personal preference and how I see them rebound.

I also think Ajax might be a bit optimistic, but I honestly don't know enough about what is left. I remember watching Ajax play Rosenborg and not long after Ajax is one of the best teams in Europe. Things changes quickly in both directions for that club - so you would know that much better than me.

Bear in mind that I rate Ajax still with van de Beek and Ziyech. Both are likely leaving, so expect them to drop a lot. Right now they still have their fast paced and exciting offense they beat and surprised plenty of teams with. Neres - Tadic - Ziyech is a strong attack. Promes is added, Bandé too. Huntelaar and Dolberg are decent pinchhitters. Their midfield and defense took a big hit, but the rating shows that. Ajax did well replacing them, though. Both from within as with acquisitions.

Reactions: Havre

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
MF Dortmund: Reus,Sancho,Witsel,Brandt,Hazard,Weigl,Delaney...81PTS
MF Leverkusen: Havertz, Bellarabi, Aranguiz, Bender Demirbay, Baumgartlinger 83PTS

Dortmund is underrated or Leverkusen is overrated.
Arsenals D is very overrated. Hummels > all Arsenal defenders by far.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I think Keita might be Klopp's idea of a creative midfield player. Similar to Pochettino his first priority is not creativity. Hard work, pressing and team players. Then you hope to find that special player that can do all the dirty stuff and add some flair. N'Dombele is that guy for Pochettino - Wanyama with skills. So few of those players - and neither manager wants to sacrifice team style to fit more skill outside of the front 3 (Pochettino more 4 than 3, but even his flair players like Eriksen, Alli and now Lo Celso are all very hard working).

Which is why I think it leads to underrating Liverpool's midfield a bit. It is not meant to be very balanced - it is meant to be exceptionally good at one thing.

Will be interesting to see how other teams react to Liverpool this year. I am sure managers have tried to come up with counter moves to being "steamrolled" by a midfield which isn't brilliant in terms of skill (that I agree with). Not that long ago Liverpool kept on giving away points to "weaker" teams for that reason - just couldn't break them down consistently enough.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
MF Dortmund: Reus,Sancho,Witsel,Brandt,Hazard,Weigl,Delaney...81PTS
MF Leverkusen: Havertz, Bellarabi, Aranguiz, Bender Demirbay, Baumgartlinger 83PTS

Dortmund is underrated or Leverkusen is overrated.
Arsenals D is very overrated. Hummels > all Arsenal defenders by far.

Agree about Dortmund/Leverkussen. I had Sancho and Reus as forwards. They deserve a higher ranking, indeed.

Hummels might be better than anything Arsenal can come up with, but he didn't impress me much last season. Both defenses have their question marks and holes without having world class talent between the goalposts.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
Hummels might be better than anything Arsenal can come up with, but he didn't impress me much last season. Both defenses have their question marks and holes without having world class talent between the goalposts.

Hummels had a weak season till the winterbreak. Afterwards he was Munichs best D. He still is one of the best playmaking defenders in the world. He reads the game very well thats why his positioning is outstanding. His weakniss is his speed. A questionmark are Dortmunds external defenders. Schulz is solid. Pisczek ages. Hakimi is a weapon offensively. His defenisve game is the opposite. Morey looked very promising but he is injured now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad