Value of: Ottawa's #4 overall to NYR?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
The difference between 4 and 9, in this years draft, isn’t a young 2nd line center like Hayes who has size, skill, and can play in any situation in all 3 zones.

I completely understand why the Sens would pass on that hypothetical offer, but dont go on labeling Hayes as just another 45~ center. Teams would kill for him.

Teams sign tons of guys like him every offseason just like New York did lmao

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Last time Ottawa had a pick in the top 5 was 2001. If you want us to move down, you need to offer a massive overpayment. The fans would riot if Dorion gave away this pick for peanuts.

Reactions: Dave Sparky Allison

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Trading back is tricky .. its hard to peg a value. And I would rather speculate on a high side return other wise ... its not really tempting to trade back out of 4.. Don't get a 4 every year or very often .. and right now no first next year we have to make this one count. So I guess what I am saying is it will take what would at least seem like an over payment to trade back. If this was the NFL for sure that would be too much.. but have to look at realistic stats of chances of picks where doing what.

Maybe we revisit this if Tampa wins the cup this season......The Rangers can offer the #9, one of the latter picks in the 1st and next years Tampa 1st.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Then I guess they stick with 9th and we stick with 4th. I went and looked at this really nice Porsche .. and I asked how much? .. the guy said for this model its $150k .. I said that's too much .. and he said well maybe we can show you another car.
I mean that’s fine, I’m just saying NHL GMs won’t do the overpayment that some homer fan on HF boards asked for

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I don't think that's realistic.
We are going to have a good player available at 9. Leave it up to this team to go trade up to pick the one guy everyone in the top 5 is hoping their team doesn't pick. :banghead:

I think that’s the only way Ottawa considers it. What’s the point of moving from 4 to 9? Sure, New York can give us a late first or a second on top of it, but when you pick in the top 5 an extra draft pick isn’t likely going to make the difference to move back five spots.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
He's more than the points. I don't think we can replace him tbh. Trading him to move up picks leaves a huge hole in our roster.
25 goal scoring center who played against top lines each and every game and did a very good job of it. Was probably most improved forward (200 ft game) on the Rangers last year. Of course people who just look at stats won't see this.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
As a Coyotes fan, if Brady Tkachuk falls to 5 and each of Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, and Quinn Hughes are off the board, I’d happily deal the Tkachuk pick to the Rangers.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Don't think Ottawa will take Tkachuk at all at 4. It'll be Hughes or Boqvist. At 9 they're praying one of Dobson/Bouchard are available.

I'd do 4+22 for 9+26+39+Spooner. Ottawa gets a temporary 2C who they can move to the wing once Brown is ready to take the spot.

Even then, it's great value but I think Hughes and Boqvist are going to be absolute studs. And would rather just grab one of them.

Arizona would probably bite on a Skjei deal for Tkachuk. But I think they really want him.

I'd easily do that. Rangers give up a 2nd round and Spooner and move up both picks? Seems like a win for the Rangers.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I would not trade the 9th overall and Hayes for the 4th. Hayes really broke out once they dumped that dope Miller. His faceoffs have gotten better each year. He soon maybe a 55% draw guy with 30 goals. He had 23 points in his last 28 games. That with some rookies trying to get a look.

Ottawa is going to take a defenseman to replace Karlsson. So, I don't see them as any threat to take Tkachuk. The deal for NY if Tkachuk is there is with Arizona who needs an NHL ready defenseman. That is why I would check their interest in Skjei.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If I had to predict the draft,

Buffalo takes Dahlin. A bit of a no brainier.
Carolina takes Svechnikov (I'm sure they would love to have Tkachuk, I just don't see it happening with #2)
Montreal takes Zadina or Tkachuk. I say Zadina, but you never no.
Ottawa, unsure of Karlsson, they take Boqvist, Hughes, or Zadina if Montreal doesn't select him at #3.
Arizona takes Hughes, or Boqvist if Ottawa didn't select him. I don't think they take Tkachuk if he's still available.
Detriot gets a little tricky. The wings need an impact defensemen on D, so maybe they select Dobson/Bouchard? Or maybe they go BPA, or take a forward like Tkachuk/Wahlstrom

If the goal is to take Tkachuk, and he's probably not the guy I target, I think Detroit/ Vancouver make more sense than trading with Ottawa.

I've seen Ty Smith getting some higher mock draft selections and I'm not entirely sold on him being better than Bouchard /Wilde

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad