Value of: Ottawa's #4 overall to NYR?

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
What would it take for the Rangers to acquire this pick? Now that we're hired David Quinn as our coach, trying to draft Brady Tkachuk, his Boston University favorite, seems like a smart move.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
No one around here can answer that, I don't think. Has anyone even traded a top-5 draft pick since before the 05 lockout?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
No one around here can answer that, I don't think. Has anyone even traded a top-5 draft pick since before the 05 lockout?

2010, but the Leafs moved that pick unknowingly in the Kessel trade. Post-lockout, the only Top 5 pick knowingly moved was the Islanders’ 1st in 2008. They only dropped from 5 to 7 in that deal and then 7 to 9 in another deal. The Islanders pulled 2 2nds and a 3rd in those trades.

2008 NHL Entry Draft Transactions

I'd be surprised if Ottawa ended up doing anything but staying in place, though.

Reactions: stl76

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
2010, but the Leafs moved that pick unknowingly in the Kessel trade. Post-lockout, the only Top 5 pick knowingly moved was the Islanders’ 1st in 2008. They only dropped from 5 to 7 in that deal and then 7 to 9 in another deal. The Islanders pulled 2 2nds and a 3rd in those trades.

2008 NHL Entry Draft Transactions

I'd be surprised if Ottawa ended up doing anything but staying in place, though.

In other words, there's no market on this kind of thing. Most of the realistic predictions and proposals are based on how similar deals went in the past. There usually is more than one example.

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
I dont think Ottawa moves that pick. There gonna try and be competitive so they arent gifting Colorado a top pick. This is the reason I think that when they trade Karlsson it won't be a package of all futures. They will draft the NHL ready player in Tkachuk and happily walk away.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
What would it take for the Rangers to acquire this pick? Now that we're hired David Quinn as our coach, trying to draft Brady Tkachuk, his Boston University favorite, seems like a smart move.

Ottawa 4th overall

For

NYR 9th overall
Hayes

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not for Tkachuk as suggested by TS

Only if Svechnikov or Zadina drops, I probably would do it though.

Trading back is tricky .. its hard to peg a value. And I would rather speculate on a high side return other wise ... its not really tempting to trade back out of 4.. Don't get a 4 every year or very often .. and right now no first next year we have to make this one count. So I guess what I am saying is it will take what would at least seem like an over payment to trade back. If this was the NFL for sure that would be too much.. but have to look at realistic stats of chances of picks where doing what.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Trading back is tricky .. its hard to peg a value. And I would rather speculate on a high side return other wise ... its not really tempting to trade back out of 4.. Don't get a 4 every year or very often .. and right now no first next year we have to make this one count. So I guess what I am saying is it will take what would at least seem like an over payment to trade back. If this was the NFL for sure that would be too much.. but have to look at realistic stats of chances of picks where doing what.

The difference between 4 and 9, in this years draft, isn’t a young 2nd line center like Hayes who has size, skill, and can play in any situation in all 3 zones.

I completely understand why the Sens would pass on that hypothetical offer, but dont go on labeling Hayes as just another 45~ center. Teams would kill for him.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
If your player is gone at 4 , Honestly this would be a strong offer . Moving down 5 spots for 3 picks in top 40 is pretty good

After the top 2 in this draft it nose dives

I'd much rather get one of Boqvist or Wahlstrom than Tkachuk. Hopefully both are there by 9th overall. But I'd gladly do that trade if it ends the sens with Boqvist/Wahlstrom, while the Rangers can draft the most overrated player this draft.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Ottawa 4th overall

For

NYR 9th overall
Hayes

I would not trade the 9th overall and Hayes for the 4th. Hayes really broke out once they dumped that dope Miller. His faceoffs have gotten better each year. He soon maybe a 55% draw guy with 30 goals. He had 23 points in his last 28 games. That with some rookies trying to get a look.

Ottawa is going to take a defenseman to replace Karlsson. So, I don't see them as any threat to take Tkachuk. The deal for NY if Tkachuk is there is with Arizona who needs an NHL ready defenseman. That is why I would check their interest in Skjei.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Don't think Ottawa will take Tkachuk at all at 4. It'll be Hughes or Boqvist. At 9 they're praying one of Dobson/Bouchard are available.

I'd do 4+22 for 9+26+39+Spooner. Ottawa gets a temporary 2C who they can move to the wing once Brown is ready to take the spot.

Even then, it's great value but I think Hughes and Boqvist are going to be absolute studs. And would rather just grab one of them.

Arizona would probably bite on a Skjei deal for Tkachuk. But I think they really want him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad