Ottawa Senators Top Ten: Hockey IQ

OTownApologist

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Same concept as always, with the guys who have and demonstrate the most hockey knowledge on the team, whether through natural instinct, experience, or both. Can be from the entire organization.

1. Chris Phillips
2. Erik Karlsson
3. Clarke MacArthur
4. Mark Stone
5. Marc Methot
6. Kyle Turris
7. Curtis Lazar
8. Chris Wideman
9. Nick Paul
10. Jean-Gabriel Pageau

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Karlsson(any dman his size that isnt insane has to have tons of hockey sense)
Stone
Methot(reads the play exceptionally well)
Condra
Pageau

I dont feel anyone else is worth mentioning or i havent noticed any players that strike me as having good hockey sense

phillips body and mind are out of wack now. He cant create enough time for himself to read the play. Im not sure if i can say for certain he was ever a super cerebral dman myself. Not saying he wasnt just never thought of him that way although i wasnt a sens fan in his younger years

Lazar is a guy who knows what the right play is but lacks creativity to make a more spectacular play

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Karlsson's IQ is generational, there's no way this guy isn't 1 with a HUGE gap between him and number 2.

Karlsson

Stone
Condra
Methot
MacArthur
Lazar
Zibanejad
Turris
Ryan

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Phillips is going to be a hell of a coach some day. His entire career is based on the fact that he's often the smartest guy on the ice. Thinks the game at another level. Too bad he was never blessed with high-end skill, however.

Phillips never had a high hockey IQ. It was fine and all... But not a strength of his game. He learned by repetition, not by instinct. He did not really make his pairing mates better either.

Being a coach or knowing a lot is far, far, far different then having hockey IQ. It is knowledge vs ability to act on instinct. Wayne Gretzky had by far the highest hockey IQ ever. Even compared to Orr or Mario... Who might be among the best fighting for 2nd place. Wayne Gretzky can't "teach" what he did at high speed, reacting to everything happening on the ice.

No one can be Dom Hasek... Not just because he was a double jointed circus freak... He just knew what players would do... Reacted while they did it... Instead of after the did it.

Gonchar.... He had high hockey IQ. He was so slow by The time he got to Ottawa. Magnitudes slower then Phillips now. And he made players way better... And was still very effective... With his ability diminished.

Pageau... Has incredible hockey IQ. He can play a game on the edge.... And never even get penalties. He knows what to do in every situation. Add Stone to that too.

Highest IQs
Karlsson
Stone
Pageau

Superior IQs

Turris
Condra
Neil (at what he does... He knows momentum in a game... Influences it)
Anderson

Above Average
Ceci
Wiercioch
MacArthur
Methot
Ryan
Hoffman (good judge so far of his own abilities)

Average

Zibanejad

Below Average

Cowen
Michalek (all the tools...)
Smith
Greening
Lehner

Just broad strokes here. Not trying to say who is better player... Just who naturally knows what to do to play the way they do. The biggest part is maybe knowing your own abilities. Knowing just what you can and can not do. Neil knows exactly what to do in his role... Like an elite all-time Pest/fighter/agitator. He reads a game like he is a cardiac surgeron and pumps blood into the team when we need it. Take Konopka... No understanding of when to fight. Just took everyone. Contrast to Domi/neil....

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Phillips never had a high hockey IQ. It was fine and all... But not a strength of his game. He learned by repetition, not by instinct. He did not really make his pairing mates better either.

Being a coach or knowing a lot is far, far, far different then having hockey IQ. It is knowledge vs ability to act on instinct. Wayne Gretzky had by far the highest hockey IQ ever. Even compared to Orr or Mario... Who might be among the best fighting for 2nd place. Wayne Gretzky can't "teach" what he did at high speed, reacting to everything happening on the ice.

Eh, we'll have to agree to disagree re: Phillips, but the point about differentiating between Hockey IQ and coaching intuitiveness is a good one.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Extremely cerebral player, but in terms of pure hockey knowledge, Phillips has been an extremely intelligent player since he was a rookie. Add almost 20 seasons, there isn't anybody in the organization that knows the game better.

I have no idea about Chris Phillips knowledge of hockey history but this is laughable you'd put him first in terms of on ice hockey IQ.

Stone probably highest in IQ. Condra probably will be most underrated...only way he sticks in nhl is hockey IQ because he's got the skills of the common midget AAA player otherwise.

Pageau, MacArthur, karlsson, Turris also have great levels. Karlsson will get thrown under the bus here by some but his game is inherently risky which I don't consider to be a knock on his hockey IQ.

Ceci generally solid here as well

In this thread id start at coming to a common definition because some people have no idea what hockey sense looks like and its abstract enough that it can be defined a lot of different ways.

Mark stone is hockey sense personified. How you can make quick decisions, be in control of the ice to the extent that you don't panic when cornered, are always on opposing puck carriers despite being a lower than average skater.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
The idea that a guy like Chris Neil has great hockey IQ because he sits on the bench, and decides "this may be a good time to lay someone out or fight" is not an indication of hockey iq even though it may be a good decision.

Hockey IQ to me is demonstrated by in the moment quick decisions on the ice and although a decision made quickly on whether to lay a guy out or not may be a demonstration of intelligence, it just pales in comparison to the way players make decisions that determine puck possession.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Same concept as always, with the guys who have and demonstrate the most hockey knowledge on the team, whether through natural instinct, experience, or both. Can be from the entire organization.

1. Chris Phillips
2. Erik Karlsson
3. Clarke MacArthur
4. Mark Stone
5. Marc Methot
6. Kyle Turris
7. Curtis Lazar
8. Chris Wideman
9. Nick Paul
10. Jean-Gabriel Pageau

Why is Chris Philipps on this list? He may have the most experience out there out of everyone but he plays like he's a young player sometimes and not in a good way. Some of the mistakes and giveaways he makes are mind boggling for a guy at his age

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
The way a player can feel pressure without seeing it, and act on a good option they see in a split second. These are markers of outstanding hockey sense.

A bit like a quarterbacks pocket presence in football. They feel pressure without seeing, stay collected, find a good decision and move the ball to someone hands. Mark stone is like Tom Brady in this way.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Eh, we'll have to agree to disagree re: Phillips, but the point about differentiating between Hockey IQ and coaching intuitiveness is a good one.

The difference is important. A genius mathematician... Is going to have a hard time teaching math. He intuitively understands all the natural mathmatical rules. Can do all kinds of math in his head and only needs formulas for really advanced stuff. Versus a normal person who actually learned all the concepts and kept adding to his knowledge gradually and with work.

It is so different. Gretzky can't tell you why he did the stuff he did. Like.. When the linesman is screening the defencenan in front of you, you pass back to the point and hide the fact the puck has been given to the defenceman behind you. Go behind the net because the defenceman will fire it in the opposite corner... Then when you get the puck behind the net.... Bank it off the defenceman in front so it deflects left to the streaking winger... Who will have the side of the net empty to shoot at....

Vs. Play the man not the puck. Be on the right side of the puck at all times... Exagerating...

But Stone is not following some regimented routine to get all those takeaways... He just intuitively has the knack to know where to be to get the puck... And the hand eye co-ordination to steal it. Through natural instincts and thousands of hours of practice.

See I suck at sports really. I remember playing basketball and thinking as I faced a guy how to get by him. What to do. If you have truly High hockey IQ... You no longer think about things.... You just react. There is no concious thought really. Greening, Smith... They are thinking on the ice. To have to actually "think" and consider options is a huge disadvantage.

Take Karlsson... In flow, with the puck... He never thinks... Just does.

In one situation I find he is weak is when the other team cycles. The game is at a standstill. He is at the edge if the crease... Puck in the corner. Opposing team's player has the puck and Is approaching Karlsson standing still. Everything is a snail's pace now. Karlsson is forced and given time to think. Options appear in his mind... He pauses... Sometimes makes poor decisions. That weakness in his game... Isn't just from being undersized... The game is slowed down so much... He has to think. Phillips is used to that for example. That is his forte.

Or take Alfredsson. His move is to come over the blueline and do a slow button hook with the puck. At speed he takes away the speed and can wait until someone moves or does something and he sees the play that he wants to make.

Take Spezza... All those errant passes are because at speed... He really needs the Pizza line and Karlsson... He plays like all the rest of the players on the ice have elite hockey sense and can see the big opening that will happen in half a second and throws the puck where they should go. But if you have Greening on your line and not Heatley or Karlsson... He does not anticipate and go where a genius hockey player should be going and turnover... Pass to no one... Except it should have been a pass to a wide open guy.

Gretzky was brilliant because somehow he could play with anyone. He could feed Kudelski or Pat Hughes like they were Glenn Anderson or Jari Kurri. Gretzky did all the thinking and no matter who he played with he dealt sick passes to where everyone was going to be. It was uncanny.

When you have really smart guys... Like Pageau and Stone... Who also work hard to gain all the advantages of learning all the right things to do.. Like Phillips had to do... It is a perfect situation.

Watch Datsyuk, Alfredsson, Lidstrom Lots of really all-time elite hockey sense guys... That also work hard to improve their game... They get better every year. Even after 30, after 32 years old. Even as their skills and bodies decline some... They improve or at least maintain their games... Because they both have the huge intuition... But also the huge drive to work on their games... And maybe most importantly... Know exactly their abilities. Exactly what they are capable of doing... And what they aren't. So they keep learning... Even as they age out of their peak physical form.

That is why I am so high on Stone. Think he has the traits of a Hall of Fame caliber skill player in that way. He is like Tavares or Alfie. Dude is going to improve for a decade and he already is so freaking good!

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Several very enlightening comments. I agree with your thought and definition. Excellent football pocket analogy.

Phillips has his heart in the right place, but his time is past when he can react quickly based on his intuitions and physical skills.

Stone, Pageau, Turris, Hoffman and of course Karlsson lead this "Hockey Sense" group. MacArthur, Ryan in the discussion as well and Lazar potentially developing. Methot, Ceci, Anderson.

Missing from this group is Zibanejad who I think is still "developing". He can get there, but more from learning/repetition as opposed to instinct.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
The idea that a guy like Chris Neil has great hockey IQ because he sits on the bench, and decides "this may be a good time to lay someone out or fight" is not an indication of hockey iq even though it may be a good decision.

Hockey IQ to me is demonstrated by in the moment quick decisions on the ice and although a decision made quickly on whether to lay a guy out or not may be a demonstration of intelligence, it just pales in comparison to the way players make decisions that determine puck possession.

Totally disagree on Neil. It is a different kind of hockey IQ... But he definitely has it. Guy has thousands of PIMs... No suspensions. Almost never does anything that hurts the team. Plays a safe game. It is like Pageau... 3 minors all year... While Smith and Chiasson get penalties out their butts despite being bigger... They are less physical.

Taking zero penalties while being great defensively requires crazy hockey IQ. Like ROR getting 1 minor on the year? Playing 18 mins a game as a 2-way forward. Craziness.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
He did not really make his pairing mates better either.

While we're talking about Phillips here, I have to disagree. Volchenkov can thank his Devils UFA contract almost entirely on Phillips, and I think Phillips really helped Chara out a ton early in his (Chara's) time with Ottawa.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Hockey IQ : quick decision making and anticipation. 3D vision is another thing. Mistakes are a concentration thing, again another subject. The human brain is way too sophisticated to determine if a player is this or that by the way he plays hockey. People judging people (players) with a simple game might be the one lacking "intelligence". We are in 2015, it's time to evolve.

My current top-10 in pure hockey IQ :

Stone
Karlsson
Turris
Condra
MacArthur
Ceci
Pageau
Lazar
Ryan
Wiercioch

Note : not including goalies

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
While we're talking about Phillips here, I have to disagree. Volchenkov can thank his Devils UFA contract almost entirely on Phillips, and I think Phillips really helped Chara out a ton early in his (Chara's) time with Ottawa.

Ummm Phillips and Volchenkov played most times Pizza line was out. Both of them can thank that line for much of their success.

I am not saying Phillips made his pairing mates worse.. Just not better. Compared to say Gonchar. And you can't put your finger on it exactly... Heck the "finger" is a good "point". That is the difference. That is what a coach needs to do. Gonchar say.. Already read the play and already has put himself where he needs to be so his mate naturally probably does not need to get the additional help of a point. If you are pointing... It is quite possible it is already too late. You coach after and before a game. Game is on the players... Trained and coached to be able to do what is needed on the ice. Hockey isn't football. Short of a faceoff in the dots and what happens the 3 seconds after it on D or O... The coach can not influence a game much... During the game except picking who is on the ice and when.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
The team needs to forcibly tell Philipps we don't need him on the ice anymore. He was great for us once upon a time but those years are long gone and we don't need him anymore. If he wants to continue with this organization in a coaching/support role I'm sure there's one available for him.

If not, thanks for the memories Chris, but we need to move on. Championship organizations know when it's time to move on from guys when their time is past. This organization has let far, far more superior players go when compared to Philips.

why are we even letting him compete for a spot in training camp?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad