Confirmed with Link: Ottawa Senators Season Schedule 2021-2022

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Weeknight 7 o'clock starts tend to be better for parents with kids. Game doesn't end after 10 on a school night.
I bet The parents who didn’t want to go because the game finishes at 10 still won’t want to go with the game finishing a whole 30 minutes earlier.

Reactions: robsenz

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I bet The parents who didn’t want to go because the game finishes at 10 still won’t want to go with the game finishing a whole 30 minutes earlier.
I don’t have the numbers in front of me, but this has been discussed before and I remember the conclusion being exactly the opposite of what you’re suggesting.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Iirc the purpose of 730 starts was to get game traffic outside of rush hour traffic.

Personally I don't think that is an issue this coming season

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I hate the damn schedule though.

It's not fair. It's not balanced

There are long term stats available on back to back rested versus fresh and the statistical odds of winning. We're starting the season in the worst statistical deficit in the league.

I get that there's only so many available dates. I posted before there should be like a 3 year cycle and the schedules need to balance over that 3 year window

Maybe after 3 years ina row of shitty schedules, Eugene can make a statistically valid argument that it cost us a playoff spot and lost home gate revenue and sue the league

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I hate the damn schedule though.

It's not fair. It's not balanced

There are long term stats available on back to back rested versus fresh and the statistical odds of winning. We're starting the season in the worst statistical deficit in the league.

I get that there's only so many available dates. I posted before there should be like a 3 year cycle and the schedules need to balance over that 3 year window

Maybe after 3 years ina row of shitty schedules, Eugene can make a statistically valid argument that it cost us a playoff spot and lost home gate revenue and sue the league

I agree that the schedule sucks but teams do get input, I seem to recall some interviews with Leeder talking about requesting afternoon games because they were more profitable for example. This year though, the discrepancy between teams in terms of rested vs tired is crazy.

Reactions: Dan Patrick

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
I know I've read somewhere that Melnyk likely asks for as many afternoon games as possible as those are cheaper for TSN to buy which means more ad revenue sharing for Melnyk. The poor rested vs unrested ratio is likely the crack back for getting the afternoon games Melnyk wants.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I know I've read somewhere that Melnyk likely asks for as many afternoon games as possible as those are cheaper for TSN to buy which means more ad revenue sharing for Melnyk. The poor rested vs unrested ratio is likely the crack back for getting the afternoon games Melnyk wants.

Not sure why it would be cheaper as the contract is so much a year, not based on game by game.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Not sure why it would be cheaper as the contract is so much a year, not based on game by game.

I thought TSN had to buy broadcasting rights to games each season. Melnyk has an agreement that sees him get a higher percentage of ad revenue from TSN than from sportnet games and so he makes the landscape of buying the broadcasting rights as cheap as he can for TSN.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I know there was an advantage to afternoon games under the previous regional deal. Likely because they aren't captured by the National deal and the old regional deal was on a per game basis.

Idk if we still ask for afternoon games, I only brought it up because it's evidence that we have input in the schedule.

I let my subscription lapse but the Athletic has an article on how the schedule is made for those with an active subscription

LeBrun: What's it really like to put together the NHL's schedule?

And for those adverse to reading, YouTube to the rescue

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
We shall see. Packed house for the 7 o’clock start
Well, not necessarily. Parents with kids tend to like these games more but people who work later shifts can't or won't get to the arena on time. This isn't a peak attendance thing so much as it is a catering to a specific audience as a trade-off kind of thing.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I thought TSN had to buy broadcasting rights to games each season. Melnyk has an agreement that sees him get a higher percentage of ad revenue from TSN than from sportnet games and so he makes the landscape of buying the broadcasting rights as cheap as he can for TSN.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
TSN has our regional deal, it's a 10 or 12 year contract, can't remember. Guarantees them something like 54 games a year and pays the team something like 40 mil a year, I might be off on the exact numbers mind you.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I agree that the schedule sucks but teams do get input, I seem to recall some interviews with Leeder talking about requesting afternoon games because they were more profitable for example. This year though, the discrepancy between teams in terms of rested vs tired is crazy.

That was years back when the regional deal was on sportsnet.

Basically if we played at 7 on a Saturday the game was part of the national deal. If it was played as a matinee it was part of the regional deal so we got regional tv money and were getting the national money anyway

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

That was true years back under the previous regional deal

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That was years back when the regional deal was on sportsnet.

Basically if we played at 7 on a Saturday the game was part of the national deal. If it was played as a matinee it was part of the regional deal so we got regional tv money and were getting the national money anyway
Yeah, I just brought it up as an example of us requesting certain things for the schedule, nothing more. I don't think the new TV deal is impacted by scheduling, but apparently teams try to avoid home games in October for example because it competes with other sports more

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Gotta have the toughest schedule in the league considering how busy we have been this off season

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Sens pre season hasn't been officially announced but a few games have been announced from other teams:

The Sens will take on the Jets on September 26th.

The Sens will take on the Canadiens on October 1st, 2nd and 7th.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

Here is Ottawa's Pre-Season schedule:

Sunday September 26th
Ottawa vs Winnipeg 8 PM

Wednesday September 29th
Ottawa vs Toronto 7:30 PM

Friday October 1st
Ottawa vs Montreal 7:30 PM

Saturday October 2nd
Ottawa vs Montreal 7 PM

Monday October 4th