Podcast (Audio) Ottawa Senators podcasts and blogs discussion

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I mean, you are the poster boy for "consequences for thee but not for me".

I wonder how people you know IRL would react to knowing you are chud. You paid attention to Buffaloed.

Funny how people immediately think you are far right for having a potentially differing opinion. Even better.... those same weakminded pack following ones that immediately turn to name calling and/or belittling. Almost think it's an online bully mentality. Weird shit.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Funny how people immediately think you are far right for having a potentially differing opinion. Even better.... those same weakminded pack following ones that immediately turn to name calling and/or belittling. Almost think it's an online bully mentality. Weird shit.
Oh look, the count's favourite defense "it is my opinion".

Opinions can be wrong and can even be total horsecrap.

Again, Ryan was a dick online and was ostracized for it. Of course you are full of it if your "opinion" is that it is unfair for people who behave like dicks to be treated as such.

Don't be such a coward, own your beliefs instead of calling it an "opinion" and hiding behind it. You already behave like the Count Bot, don't also be like Stylizer.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Oh look, the count's favourite defense "it is my opinion".

Opinions can be wrong and can even be total horsecrap.

Again, Ryan was a dick online and was ostracized for it. Of course you are full of it if your "opinion" is that it is unfair for people who behave like dicks to be treated as such.

Don't be such a coward, own your beliefs instead of calling it an "opinion" and hiding behind it. You already behave like the Count Bot, don't also be like Stylizer.

So what if was a dick.... he was always super right-wing. Everyone knew. People can say dumb things. The issue with society is that there is little forgiveness now. You say one bad thing and there is no forgiveness.

We seem to have a sinkhole where our nuanced public discussions should be. The type that occurs when you get sucked into chasing ideological purity – not practising the messy hard labour of everyday compassion and redemption.

But the ironic thing is that our unforgiving moral righteousness, or painful silence, only hurts other progressive liberal types like us.
Teen Magazine 2021

Reactions: coladin

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So what if was a dick.... he was always super right-wing. Everyone knew. People can say dumb things. The issue with society is that there is little forgiveness now. You say one bad thing and there is no forgiveness.

We seem to have a sinkhole where our nuanced public discussions should be. The type that occurs when you get sucked into chasing ideological purity – not practising the messy hard labour of everyday compassion and redemption.

But the ironic thing is that our unforgiving moral righteousness, or painful silence, only hurts other progressive liberal types like us.
Teen Magazine 2021
Forgiveness?

The guy is loaded and he was told by his business associates that what he put himself offside and so he was out.

I doubt Wallace or anyone who knows him well thinks any less of him after this, there is no lack of forgiveness.

When someone f***s up, and a public personality being a dick publically is a f*** up, there are consequences. What you seem to want is no consequences rather than forgiveness.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa

Teen Magazine 2021
Wew, you're really going to come out and hit us with hard-hitting quotes from Teen Magazine?

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Forgiveness?

The guy is loaded and he was told by his business associates that what he put himself offside and so he was out.

I doubt Wallace or anyone who knows him well thinks any less of him after this, there is no lack of forgiveness.

When someone f***s up, and a public personality being a dick publically is a f*** up, there are consequences. What you seem to want is no consequences rather than forgiveness.
Nah, I see a guy who obviously is in pain and has addiction problems. Probably needs your support.

The most important thing to understand about addiction is that most of the time, it’s fueled by pain. Most people who struggle with substance use have some kind of trauma in their past, whether it was childhood abuse, neglect, domestic abuse, sexual assault, or some other traumatic event. The pain of trauma can last years, perhaps even your whole life. Many people use drugs and alcohol as a way to escape the pain in their own heads.

Typically, addiction treatment professionals are well aware of this, often from firsthand experience. Their compassion for people feeling that pain is what inspired them to work in this field. However, it’s also critical for family and friends to understand this. Seeing the pain behind addiction can be hard at times, especially since addictive behavior negatively affects family and friends.

For example, it can be hard to have compassion for someone when you feel like that person is manipulating, deceiving, or otherwise taking advantage of you. Addictive behavior can seem like the height of self-involvement, especially when the pain is buried beneath aggressive or secretive behavior. As challenging as it might be at times, family and friends have to remember their loved one is acting that way because they are hurting. Compassion, not criticism or judgment, is typically what helps the most in the end.
Teenbeat Magazine 2019

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Nah, I see a guy who obviously is in pain and has addiction problems. Probably needs your support.

The most important thing to understand about addiction is that most of the time, it’s fueled by pain. Most people who struggle with substance use have some kind of trauma in their past, whether it was childhood abuse, neglect, domestic abuse, sexual assault, or some other traumatic event. The pain of trauma can last years, perhaps even your whole life. Many people use drugs and alcohol as a way to escape the pain in their own heads.

Typically, addiction treatment professionals are well aware of this, often from firsthand experience. Their compassion for people feeling that pain is what inspired them to work in this field. However, it’s also critical for family and friends to understand this. Seeing the pain behind addiction can be hard at times, especially since addictive behavior negatively affects family and friends.

For example, it can be hard to have compassion for someone when you feel like that person is manipulating, deceiving, or otherwise taking advantage of you. Addictive behavior can seem like the height of self-involvement, especially when the pain is buried beneath aggressive or secretive behavior. As challenging as it might be at times, family and friends have to remember their loved one is acting that way because they are hurting. Compassion, not criticism or judgment, is typically what helps the most in the end.
Teenbeat Magazine 2019
Addiction problems are real and a nasty piece of business. However what does his alcoholism have to do with any of this? Because he has struggled with addiction, that means there should be no consequences?

Also don't think no one is noticing how you keep evading the topic with some appeal to morality. You really are a stand up kind of guy. No wonder you loved Conman prime so much "yeah he was a fraud but he was an alcoholic, compassion man".

Like I said, you are a coward. I'll end it there.

Reactions: SensHulk

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Addiction problems are real and a nasty piece of business. However what does his alcoholism have to do with any of this? Because he has struggled with addiction, that means there should be no consequences?

Also don't think no one is noticing how you keep evading the topic with some appeal to morality. You really are a stand up kind of guy. No wonder you loved Conman prime so much.

You are showing your true colours now. I think you should move on.

Not evading any topic. This is a no win situation for anyone involved. Sad state of affairs, as usual.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010

Teenbeat Magazine 2019
You can have compassion for Bobby and still understand that he should be held accountable for his actions like all other humans are. He’s had a difficult life but that doesn’t mean we all exist to enable him.

I’m sure if there was ever a day where Bobby was willing to engage in a conversation and showed some self-awareness in the way he has approached some things that Sens fans would be happy to listen. But there’s not much you can do for a guy that thinks this is the hill to die on. I don’t think anyone wishes him any ill will.

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink

Teen Magazine 2021
Cancel culture is thing. And I agree we are lesser for it, and that that quote effectively articulates what the issues can be.

But cancel culture as a fact is one thing; cancel culture as a perpetual persecution narrative is another. I forgot who made the point earlier about grievance collecting - sorry - but it was an excellent one. Bobby spent however many days and however many Tweets manufacturing a culture war grievance out of virtually nothing. The utter irrationality of it remains mind blowing to me. He wanders by some sports analyst celebrating engagement with women's NCAA b-ball and just, what, takes exception? There were viewership numbers available that simply made it a fact. The fact that he rode it for days beggars belief.

This isn't about an unpopular opinon. Few would care that Bobby is not engaged by women's sports. Certainly there are other people who are cyncial about the reasons for the apparent engagement, or its durability. That's fine too. But if you basically hallucinate a social issue out of a basketball stat, you don't get to then claim that the woke mob cancelled you. Similarly, you can't divide by zero, or take more energy out of a system than you put in. A circular, self-perpetuating grievance machine can't reasonably exist.

And the irony in your quote is that Bobby himself narrowed the nuance in his own world. The ONLY people who are going to prop us the cancellation narrative for him are others similarly fried by the culture wars. He made himself a real-world liability, not because of his opinions, but because of his terrible lack of perspective and judgement. Thinking you're fighting the good fight running around the internet being absurd. This whole thing is a f***ing shame. He's a smart man who has suffered significantly. But he's still listing to the tin-foil hat right.

I will miss him on the show absolutely. I actually teared up today when Wallace read the BEI ad, which I acknowlege makes me an infant. I hate that any of this happened, but Bobby Ryan is NOT a victim of cancel culture.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Teen Magazine 2021

Bobby Ryan has $28 milllin in the bank and he’s punching down on teenaged women playing basketball for free and we are supposed to show him compassion and understanding - he’s being a dick for no reason.

‘Bobby, Don’t be a dick to teenage women who are having fun playing a game for free’ - there’s my compassionate response.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Bobby Ryan has $28 milllin in the bank and he’s punching down on teenaged women playing basketball for free and we are supposed to show him compassion and understanding - he’s being a dick for no reason.

‘Bobby, Don’t be a dick to teenage women who are having fun playing a game for free’ - there’s my compassionate response.

He never did that.

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink

Au contraire. He's being a hero dick (hick) for an incredibly good reason. He's being a hick to save the western world from going 10-ply soft on the existential threat of women's college basketball. Wokeness breeds weakness, but not on Bobby Ryan's watch.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Bobby is worth $29M

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Also don't think no one is noticing how you keep evading the topic with some appeal to morality. You really are a stand up kind of guy. No wonder you loved Conman prime so much "yeah he was a fraud but he was an alcoholic, compassion man".

Like I said, you are a coward. I'll end it there.
Judgy , judgy, A sign of the times are people labelling others with their beliefs. You are no different

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Anyways, selfishly it would have been a great podcast for Bobby to go on and explain his actions and for Brent to push back and maybe create a teaching moment. Instead, cancelling and banishment from this messedup scoety that we live in. The worst things he said was "pretending women's sports is a thing, and that was the biggie, imo. Hey, if he doesn't like women's NCAA, then he is fine not to like it and say that the hype is out of control. I don't think that is what got him fired.

Society is full off sanctimonious judges, and you see plenty of them here who would be the first to apologize and expect a different outcome than the ones that they treat others with. It is a dangerous world nowadays and no one will ever know how I truly feel about anything online.

Only political people get to apologize and keep their jobs. The rest of thr world has different rules

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Anyways, selfishly it would have been a great podcast for Bobby to go on and explain his actions and for Brent to push back and maybe create a teaching moment. Instead, cancelling and banishment from this messedup scoety that we live in. The worst things he said was "pretending women's sports is a thing, and that was the biggie, imo. Hey, if he doesn't like women's NCAA, then he is fine not to like it and say that the hype is out of control. I don't think that is what got him fired.

Society is full off sanctimonious judges, and you see plenty of them here who would be the first to apologize and expect a different outcome than the ones that they treat others with. It is a dangerous world nowadays and no one will ever know how I truly feel about anything online.

Only political people get to apologize and keep their jobs. The rest of thr world has different rules
What part of Bobby’s tweets that day makes you think he would’ve done anything on that podcast besides digging himself into a further hole?

There are a lot of assumptions here. One of which is that Bobby wasn’t given an opportunity to speak up and have a discussion, maybe apologize. Maybe he was and he stuck by his view. I really don’t know either way but I think it’s important to acknowledge that at no point that day was Bobby engaging in a discussion in good faith. He asked for names and then accused people of googling when he was given some, which is a roundabout way of saying I believe what I believe and no conversation is going to cause me to rethink my perspective. And so unless he woke up the next day with a change of heart (of which he explicitly said he would not), there was never a discussion or teaching moment to be had.

Reactions: 5ive4Fighting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad