Confirmed with Link: Ottawa Senators part ways with assistant GM Trent Mann (mod warning post 128)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't care for Garrioch, his articles often have typos and grammatical issues, he can come off as arrogant at times or combative, and generally doesn't have a great deal of charisma imo,

having said that, if he doesn't fill the role of, as some are calling it, being the team's PR guy, then someone else will. I'm not forced to read his stuff, so I won't let his employment bug me. At least he's not Brennan...

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Garrioch serves a purpose and generally is a good read. I think most folks only take issue when he gets a bit too cozy with Dorion and it seems like he spins the 'company line' in an article. Usually this happens if a player is in negotiations or if a trade is made. Garrioch sometimes paints the departing player in a bad light in order to make the trade seem more palatable to the fans. And he is never very critical of Dorion or Melnyk. BUT, he doesn't have to be. He can have his own opinion and that's fine as well. I think some readers believe (falsely or not) that he has a wink-wink, nudge-nudge relationship with Dorion that gains him extra access as long as the stories are never too critical. Is that true? Who knows? He has an arrogance and petulance in some of his tweets that rubs people the wrong way and is unprofessional. It could also be a foil to increase engagement on Twitter and put eyes on his articles. Even detractors read his articles, if only to find something they don't like.
I guess we'll see what happens once new ownership/new GM is installed and then press access to the team will be scrutinized by all the bloggers I'm sure. Lol.
I've seen Garrioch & Dorion engage & from my perspective I don't think they are friends & have a working relationship. Dorion needs a news guy to get their message out there & Garrioch needs access to the Sens to do his job. He has written negative articles about Sens related material before, but he also has to be fair to continue to get access. I imagine it can't be easy & of course what you write & what you don't write will always manage to piss someone off.

Garrioch doesn't know as much about the prospects as one would think, there are people on here who know much more about the prospects than he does, he has a general knowledge about the good ones. He also doesn't do any kind of analysis on players at the Dev Camp & just kind of reports on guys that the Sens tell him are doing really well. Making Kleven the hardest worker at Dev Camp seemed like a ploy to me by the Sens to increase his notoriety as another up & coming good young player & gave Bruce something positive to write about Sens Dev Camp. This is what I see when Dorion & Bruce get together & because Dev Camp is also right around Free Agency July 1, they also tell him about which free agents they just signed or are about to. Last yr there was a rumour going around Dev Camp that Giroux was going to sign with the Sens & maybe Brassard & then it happened.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Media personalities usually either rub you the right way or the wrong way. Nothing nefarious. Sort of like announcers and play by play. I always like Gary Galley when he did our games and I read so many negative comments about him.

I think we can thrive getting some younger people in some of these positions that can help our team shake the small town little man team syndrome we seem to carry.

It also seems fair game to troll Wallace until the cows come home, without ever backing up the why, so not sure why such sensitivity about Garrioch.

Just defending the innocent. ;)

For years people are baselessly attacking BG for no real reasons. I need links to him doing the fan base so wrong.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yes, I get that, but he's been doing this job for over 30 yrs, unless he does something egregious it's not happening. Having said that though one would have to think he is probably close to retiring at some point soon. Gord Wilson & Dean Brown have been covering the Sens from day 1 too in Ottawa & also will likely be there until they retire. Maybe there replacements are better & maybe not, who knows? But one thing is for sure HF gets no say on who the replacement will be. :laugh:
Regardless of what you think of these guys in particular, simply having tenure shouldn't guarantee employment for life unless you do something egregious so the argument needs to at least be better than that.

If you're someone that doesn't think the team could benefit from a makeover on its public image, you probably don't think any of these positions should be considered for a refresh.

If you think this team needs to shake its little man image and get that swagger, say like they did back in the Muckler days, you probably feel different.

And since I started this whole thing with that original post you quoted, I'd just like to point out that this thread has been a pretty sarcastic troll fest of Wallace, with nobody ever actually disclosing their reasoning beyond name calling, so I assumed other media personalities were fair game for the same. I guess not.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Just defending the innocent. ;)

For years people are baselessly attacking BG for no real reasons. I need links to him doing the fan base so wrong.
I get it. You're defending your preferred media personality and you feel the need to attack another you don't like whenever the opportunity arises. We all have our preferences. I still haven't seen you provide any reasons for your Wallace hate though, so why should I be expected to do the same? It's a double standard.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
C'mon my man, you know how they roll. I'm not an idiot. Obviously not fired from his Post Media position, but no longer the guy they feed info to as their unofficial PR channel. Surely, they could influence his TSN guest speaker position in intermissions as well.
lol . Coming in for my periodic "how the world works" lesson. Will there be an advanced class?

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I get it. You're defending your preferred media personality and you feel the need to attack another you don't like whenever the opportunity arises. We all have our preferences. I still haven't seen you provide any reasons for your Wallace hate though, so why should I be expected to do the same? It's a double standard.

Better be cuz I'm clearly still out to lunch. Garrioch is a national treasure all other franchises are jealous of.

If you think that a small market team is going to get the same level as a big market team, it's doubtful. It would be nice, for sure...

We should be thankful we get any coverage.

• Haha
Reactions: Emerica

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Who knew he was so popular?
Only Bruce and Melnyk. They met in Barbados to strategize this whole thing.
If you think that a small market team is going to get the same level as a big market team, it's doubtful. It would be nice, for sure...

I get it, but that's the small time acceptance thinking I feel like we were stuck with under Melnyk.

Lets be a bunch of jerks or something. Something new, something bold. Hell, just throw some attractive women at it like so many do.

That's why the Reynold's possibility was so exciting.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

We should be thankful we get any coverage? LMAO

wake up my man

Sounds like when people said we should be thankful that Melnyk was sticking around cause there would be no buyers willing to keep the team in Ottawa only to have a 1 billion $ sale months later

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

wake up my man

Sounds like when people said we should be thankful that Melnyk was sticking around cause there would be no buyers willing to keep the team in Ottawa only to have a 1 billion $ sale months later

I thought last week's rumour was the sale was off?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

wake up my man

That's how I feel about the tenure comment.

I don't want anyone tarred and feathered, but lets refresh this thing and try to not be so stale.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
There was a certain irony to the message sometimes being to be more positive and don't complain, while at the same time hammering home that you couldn't possibly hope for more because it's never coming and we shouldn't even try.
Lets hope for better times -> new owner & new outlook.

It is ironic that the complainers of the complainers do seem to have the dimmest view of the team & city and the lowest of expectations.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
One day everyone will be happy

Well now you're definitely lying.
Lets hope for better times -> new owner & new outlook.

It is ironic that the complainers of the complainers do seem to have the dimmest view of the team & city and the lowest of expectations.
Yes. I am very optimistic about the future of the team just from the ownership change alone. Change was needed there before anything else even mattered imo.

But ya, it is a strange phenomenon. It makes some sense too though. If you feel like the guys you believe in did everything they possibly could to make something work, then you're probably loyal to that line of thinking that it's the best that could possibly be done.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I've seen Garrioch & Dorion engage & from my perspective I don't think they are friends & have a working relationship. Dorion needs a news guy to get their message out there & Garrioch needs access to the Sens to do his job. He has written negative articles about Sens related material before, but he also has to be fair to continue to get access. I imagine it can't be easy & of course what you write & what you don't write will always manage to piss someone off.

Garrioch doesn't know as much about the prospects as one would think, there are people on here who know much more about the prospects than he does, he has a general knowledge about the good ones. He also doesn't do any kind of analysis on players at the Dev Camp & just kind of reports on guys that the Sens tell him are doing really well. Making Kleven the hardest worker at Dev Camp seemed like a ploy to me by the Sens to increase his notoriety as another up & coming good young player & gave Bruce something positive to write about Sens Dev Camp. This is what I see when Dorion & Bruce get together & because Dev Camp is also right around Free Agency July 1, they also tell him about which free agents they just signed or are about to. Last yr there was a rumour going around Dev Camp that Giroux was going to sign with the Sens & maybe Brassard & then it happened.

It’s actually pretty amazing how little he knows about hockey, player ability/styles, prospects, other teams etc. ESPECIALLY when you consider it has been his 9-5 job for 30 years.
Couple that with his pretty bad writing from grammar to prose - and he’s really a remarkable story of survival in a business where guys are easily tossed aside.

I don’t hate him or anything and used to enjoy his rumours columns etc. like Micklebot said, nobody makes me read him so what do I care in the end I suppose. Just wish I didn’t have to see him during intermission segments - there are 20 guys on this board I’d rather hear from in that segment.

Reactions: Sun God Nika

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
It’s actually pretty amazing how little he knows about hockey, player ability/styles, prospects, other teams etc. ESPECIALLY when you consider it has been his 9-5 job for 30 years.
Couple that with his pretty bad writing from grammar to prose - and he’s really a remarkable story of survival in a business where guys are easily tossed aside.

I don’t hate him or anything and used to enjoy his rumours columns etc. like Micklebot said, nobody makes me read him so what do I care in the end I suppose. Just wish I didn’t have to see him during intermission segments - there are 20 guys on this board I’d rather hear from in that segment.

And at least 10 that be better GMs than PD

Reactions: JD1

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

That's the thing right there. You're right, Garrioch isn't a particularly good writer and doesn't seem to have any analytical ability. We've had polls where 1/2 the guys think they could be a better GM or Coach or whatever. Put a poll up and it's probably 99% think they could do his job better and they're probably.

Apart from him doing his job...I think it's just jealousy. Garrioch won the "career" lottery and without doubt has had a privileged career. Think about it. You're one year into your career with out even a remote thought in your head that your objective is to be an NHL beat writer. That wasn't a career possibility back in the day for Ottawa kids. Bam. We get a team. Bam, the Sun is relatively new. Garrioch spends his career writing about NHL hockey. It's literally winning the lottery and I imagine most here would trade their career for his and most think they could do his job better than him (and most are probably right)

Reactions: Wondercarrot

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
That's the thing right there. You're right, Garrioch isn't a particularly good writer and doesn't seem to have any analytical ability. We've had polls where 1/2 the guys think they could be a better GM or Coach or whatever. Put a poll up and it's probably 99% think they could do his job better and they're probably.

Apart from him doing his job...I think it's just jealousy. Garrioch won the "career" lottery and without doubt has had a privileged career. Think about it. You're one year into your career with out even a remote thought in your head that your objective is to be an NHL beat writer. That wasn't a career possibility back in the day for Ottawa kids. Bam. We get a team. Bam, the Sun is relatively new. Garrioch spends his career writing about NHL hockey. It's literally winning the lottery and I imagine most here would trade their career for his and most think they could do his job better than him (and most are probably right)

I wouldn't call it jealousy. Sure I think almost anyone can do a better job than him and he has a really sweet job. You don't see the same sentiment here against Mendes that you see against Garrioch.

As a fan I value objective reporting. I want the reporter to be able to ask questions that make the person being interviewed feel a little uncomfortable because as a fan those are likely the questions I want answers for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad