Ottawa Senators for sale (upd: sold to Michael Andlauer)

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Andlauer minority stake in the Habs could be worth the whole Sens purchase, or pretty close. You got to wonder why they did not just arrange a ownership trades instead of paying capital gain.

Capital gains are realized at the time of sale. So even if Andlauer and the Melnyk girls traded shares, that' still a sale, and capital gains would have to be paid.

So basically: if like Melnyk you buy an asset 20 years ago, and the asset increases in value 10x. The government figures it is unfair to tax you on that increase during that time because you don't actually have any extra money in hand. So that tax bill sits and waits until you actually sell, which is when you lock in the gain and now you have to pay the tax.

There are some who think that capital gains taxes are wrong - but that's a political topic we probably shouldn't get into.

Reactions: Voight

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
Andlauer minority stake in the Habs could be worth the whole Sens purchase, or pretty close. You got to wonder why they did not just arrange a ownership trades instead of paying capital gain.

Except, as noted in the thread about that story, the $1.4 billion is the value of the entirety of the Lightning, not the share being sold. And while I'd imagine the Canadiens are worth significantly more than the Lightning (no offense to Tampa Bay), I seriously doubt a minority share in one team would be worth enough to buy another entire franchise entirely (ignoring the obviously distressed asset that is the Yotes). Especially since it's not a controlling stake.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
I'm not sure "inspiring" is what I want in an owner. I mostly want someone who will keep out of the headlines.
Sens fans deserve a break with a lowkey owner who got real money, and just go away for 363 days a year. Two days a year is the right presence for a NHL owner, end and start of season pressers. Otherwise unless you won the cup or build a new arena nobody want to hear from you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad