News Article: Ottawa Senators' Craig Anderson rips his mates

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
It's true, people used to rag on the 2003 team for being super soft...its been hard to watch this team lose almost every battle for the puck and when they are down a couple goals...they attempt nothing to swing momentum their way

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I still think Andy needs to lead the change by doing an old-fashioned Hextall two-handed swing to the next guy parked in his crease.

Get mean!

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
A bit of a sensationalist title to the article, but I like what Anderson said. "Ripping" on someone is putting someone down, this is just a critique of what the players need to do to be better.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Rightfully so, he's worked his butt off for most of this season trying to give the team in front of him as many as chances as he could to win.

Last edited:

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
I'd hardly call that ripping. He's just being honest. This team is softer than church music both physically and mentally

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Funny part about this is that the players that are know for being Physical, and rough are out with injuries. Everyone seems to think the team is better off without Neil and Smith (and in some cases Boro), and then point out that we're too soft now that they're gone.

Imo, we need at least one guy like Boro in the lineup. Smith would be ok if he was playing like he did 2-3 years ago. Neil is fine for <10 mins a night, but I don't like how it changes the dynamic of our lineup.

LatteLarrys

LatteLarry's
Dec 27, 2013
"The Senators are eight points out of a playoff spot — too far out to make a legitimate run at a playoff spot (number crunchers at sportsclubstats.com give them an 11-per-cent chance) but too far ahead of the bottom feeders to secure a guaranteed franchise player in the upcoming NHL draft."

Ugh, I really hope we're not still hovering in the middle of the pack come April. Not saying I'd ever support tanking (I mean, it's still entertaining to defeat regional rivals and watch our younger players progress), but in my ideal world, we'd secure a high-draft pick rather than getting electrocuted by bolts in 4-5 games...

"It will give him an up-close look at how his teammates respond to his tongue-lashing."

Sensational description there... and also evoked some really awkward images in my mind.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Funny part about this is that the players that are know for being Physical, and rough are out with injuries. Everyone seems to think the team is better off without Neil and Smith (and in some cases Boro), and then point out that we're too soft now that they're gone.

Imo, we need at least one guy like Boro in the lineup. Smith would be ok if he was playing like he did 2-3 years ago. Neil is fine for <10 mins a night, but I don't like how it changes the dynamic of our lineup.

Definitely could use a guy like Boro

However I don't think having one tough guy changes the team softness issue: this team lacks grit overall and one guy doesn't change that

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011

That kind of tough isn't what the team needs most. And if we're talking about big hits and fighting we're talking about, IMO, appearance vs reality.

Soft on this team is the 200 puck battles each night that we lose by being out-manned, out-supported, and out-hustled b/c of desire and ethic. Our players are ok with not having the puck. Our players are ok with having the appearance of an NHL shift. You see it constantly.

Those 200 puck battles have a greater net result than any two or three hits a night or the fight every third game.

This is about playing with will and purpose. And it's tough to keep up over a whole season, granted, but it has to be there more often than not. And with our players it's just not part of our team's present character.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Definitely could use a guy like Boro

However I don't think having one tough guy changes the team softness issue: this team lacks grit overall and one guy doesn't change that

Idk, Boro's attitude can be contagious. Add to that having a guy like him standing up for you makes the team play a little bigger.

Guys like Cowen, Methot, MacArthur, Pageau, Stone, Lazar, Gryba, and Chiasson aren't soft, but some can sometimes play at lower intensity. A big hit or fight by Boro or Neil helps get these guys to up their intensity.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
"Rips his mates" ???

wtf ken warren. trying to compete with the sun here?

piece of respect lost.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Uh oh, Anderson just acted like a big meanie like Paul Maclean, I guess Murray will trade him so that no one's feelings (Zack Smith) get hurt.

Honestly, this team is softer than brushed cotton. And they face adversity with all the resolve of a 6 week old puppy.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Can't wait for the day when the winners are happy here. Could be happening with our young group on the way (and I'm not blaming them). Hopeful

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
If you're implying that the locker room needs an attitude change, I agree with you....

I'm a huge fan of erik karlssons talent and I do not want him traded but to me he seems to have a blasé attitude and does not strike me as a real leader.

So I agree, I think the locker room needs an attitude change. Guys who will win at all costs like Anderson said. When your captain doesn't play that way it's hard to get the remaining guys to play that way.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I agree that the team needs to get dirtier, but adding Neil and Smith will not accomplish this. Don't think the 9 min per game for those two will somehow translate into more goals.

What we need is for Chia, Stone, Ryan and all of our bigger forwards to go in front of the net more and score some dirty goals.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
We're missing Boro for sure. The opposition needs to have this slight moment of hesitation in the back of their mind every time they want to get in our zone, and I think Boro provides that. Methot, Cowen and Gryba need to be more systematically mean as well.

With Methot, Boro and Cowen on each line, there should be no moment where the opposition can relax.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
This team is way softer than the early 2000 versions.

Not tough and not skilled, good mix. :P

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Neil and Smith should not be lumped together at all.

Neil busts his ass on the ice, always finishes his checks, and seems to enjoy crashing the net. Big guys like Chia and Stone don't enjoy it, and never do it with relish. It's the same knock on Greening, who at least gets fired up on the ice.

I fear that Chia will soon wear out his welcome, though Stone will be fine as long as he's able to put up points.

Like Cameron said, maybe it's getting slapped around by your brothers. It's an attitude, and it can't be taught.

Imagine if Stone had a fraction of Neil's attitude, or even Cowen had Boro's? They would be such better players.

Gryba, Cowen, Chia, Stone, all big guys with little natural aggression. Phillips, Pageau, and Ryan are the most aggressive guys on the team, with honourable mention to Mac, and Michalek.

Can you imagine how aggravating it must be to watch a soft team play in front of you while you bail them out over and over again..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad