GDT: Ottawa Senators at Winnipeg Jets [] 7PM [] CityTV [] The Top Goalie Tandem in the League!™ Edition (see disclaimer in thread)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wow, he said all of that in this post???

As for the bolded, where did I say he cherry-picked a specific record? But I can see how you like to get wound up about something that wasn't said (Is that seeking out things to get upset about???) and then project that on to someone else.
Lol, you must be the least self aware person out there, take a look in the mirror, but it's everyone else spouting off "useless posts". How dare anyone comment on the teams play...

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Lol, you must be the least self aware person out there, take a look in the mirror, but it's everyone else spouting off "useless posts". How dare anyone comment on the teams play...
So no response to the mischaracterization of what I said...

I'll be honest, I don't really care what you and others think of me. The opinions of most people on this forum are worth less to me than what it costs to be a member here. However, don't misrepresent what I say, mischaracterize my position, put words in my mouth or try to discredit me by taking creative liberties with the things I write. Either address the things I actually say or skip my posts altogether.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I'll be honest, I don't really care what you and others think of me. The opinions of most people on this forum are worth less to me than what it costs to be a member here. However, don't misrepresent what I say, mischaracterize my position, put words in my mouth or try to discredit me by taking creative liberties with the things I write. Either address the things I actually say or skip my posts altogether.
I didn't misrepresent anything, you come off yapping about how this isn't the first time someone is cherry picking in reference to posts about how we are playing made during a winning streak, how do expect people to interpret your post?

You do enough to discredit yourself, there no creative liberties needed.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I can’t help but notice that the veteran coach selected by the rookie GM has the team playing pretty good hockey
Interesting conclusion to come to for a team that's 26th in the league...
It's what happens when you're able to differentiate between the present and the past, the team is 8-3-0 in its last eleven games and on a 5 game winning streak, currently playing pretty well, unfortunately that comes off the back of playing poorly, going 0-6-1 in the previous 7.

Is it just playing free from expectations, is it Jacques finally getting them playing the right way, is it the goalies finally playing well? Probably a bit of everything.
There's the order of the posts.

I didn't make any reference to him cherry-picking stats, he didn't say anything about a time frame he was addressing and here you are introducing a highly selective, cherry-picked time frame to assess the record for a team that's 26th in the f***ing league.

Congrats, you've played yourself.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I didn't make any reference to him cherry-picking stats, he didn't say anything about a time frame he was addressing and here you are introducing a highly selective, cherry-picked time frame to assess the record for a team that's 26th in the f***ing league.

Ok so what you're saying is you're incapable of realizing he was talking about how the team is currently playing given the context, you know, making the post in a GDT thread after the team matched it's longest winning streak since the 2016-17 season, thanks for confirming.

Congrats, that makes your position look sooooo much better,

• Haha
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Ok so what you're saying is you're incapable of realizing he was talking about how the team is currently playing given the context, you know, making the post in a GDT thread after the team matched it's longest winning streak since the 2016-17 season, thanks for confirming.

Congrats, that makes your position look sooooo much better,
Yes, which is confirmed by my reply to him, re: the 26th place team. On the subject of things I don't seem to understand: if I'm so discredited, why are you replying to my posts? Who the f*** are you exactly? Don't you have a million other lengthy, pointless arguments already on the go?

• Haha
Reactions: Micklebot

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005

As a point of clarification: @Micklebot is correct and I was talking about the current stretch were they're playing well and beating some good teams.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

Speaking for myself, as one of the "others"...leave me outta this. Thanks.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Not that anyone cares... I respect micklebot big time...

But I have to agree with backstreetparade that playing well for a tiny stretch of games is meaningless when the team is 26th in the league. We've had many good stretches this year...the thing is they always are proceeded or preceded by a big losing streak with crappy play.

This is basically the most recent streak of our rollercoaster play.

We just happen to be on an "up". It doesn't mean anything.

How can fans watch this team go on 28 up and downs over 5 seasons and say "THIS up right here. This is the one". Doesn't that get tiring?

I also agree with bankstreet that this smells like those arguments of "if you remove our bad stretches, we actually have a good record". No shit.

You could point to a little winning streak at any point of the season. Means nothing.

What matters is where you are in the standings at the end of the year. That's how good of a team we are.

If we're not making the playoffs, it's because we're a shit hockey team...so saying otherwise isn't giving proper justice to how shitty this team has been.

I just think it's silly when people keep thinking we've turned a corner after a tiny winning streak.

Come back with that argument when the team can post a 18-4 record over a stretch. Now that's a HOT team. Or come back with that argument when the team can clinch a playoff spot.

thinking this team is on the right track because they won a couple games recently is not very productive. They need a massive overhaul.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
As a point of clarification: @Micklebot is correct and I was talking about the current stretch were they're playing well and beating some good teams.

We've done that so many times over the past several years and it means nothing...

So I understand why others would object to anyone trying to take any positive out of a tiny streak that means nothing to the future success of the team. if anything, it might actually hurt the future success of the team by giving us a worse prospect.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

But I have to agree with backstreetparade that playing well for a tiny stretch of games is meaningless when the team is 26th in the league. We've had many good stretches this year...the thing is they always are proceeded or preceded by a big losing streak with crappy play.

How can fans watch this team go on 28 up and downs over 5 seasons and say "THIS up right here. This is the one". Doesn't that get tiring?

I also agree with bankstreet that this smells like those arguments of "if you remove our bad stretches, we actually have a good record". No shit.

You could point to a little winning streak at any point of the season. Means nothing.

What matters is where you are in the standings at the end of the year. That's how good of a team we are.

If we're not making the playoffs, it's because we're a shit hockey team...so saying otherwise isn't giving proper justice to how shitty this team has been.

I just think it's silly when people keep thinking we've turned a corner after a tiny winning streak.

Come back with that argument when the team can post a 18-4 record over a stretch. Now that's a HOT team. Or come back with that argument when the team can clinch a playoff spot.

thinking this team is on the right track because they won a couple games recently is not very productive. They need a massive overhaul.
I think people realize this. There’s even a thread about this called “Another Late Season Surge”.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I think people realize this. There’s even a thread about this called “Another Late Season Surge”.

Yes. Most people do understand this.

But even in that thread, you have a bunch of people pointing to how the team is currently playing better and winning games and how it bodes well for next season.

I'm asking where these people have been the last few years?

Why even put those unrealistic expectations on the team and always be disappointed?

It's much easier to think the team is crap and going nowhere, and then just enjoy the wins as they come.

It's much harder to expect a good team and then get all sad or mad or down when they inevitably lose a bunch again.

Is it so hard for people to be humble and realize this team is 26th and call it like it is.

Is 26th not a shitty hockey team? So we're a shitty hockey team. Cool.

Now let's show the world how humble we are by admitting were a shitty team. It's ok to be honest.

Then it will be THAT much better when we finally become a good team down the road.

Always predicting or talking like were some good team or playoff team and repeatedly falling flat on our face is not a good look and must be mentally draining...so why do so many of you still do it?

I totally used to do it. It's sooooo much easier just knowing our team is shit, but still cheering on the wins. Make fun of how bad your team is then laugh when you get wins. Easy peasy.

Way better than predicting wins or playoffs and being disappointed.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

I think the point was, Jacques has gotten through to the team, they’ll never win anything if they don’t play structured defense.
I think in the past was smoke and mirrors when playing well the last couple of months in the season, as they were still cheating on offense.
This time they’re winning and playing better defense, so there is hope that the team is coming around to the realization you can’t always cheat to the offensive side, and to have situational awareness.
We’ll see next year if there is a carryover mindset,

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think the point was, Jacques has gotten through to the team, they’ll never win anything if they don’t play structured defense.
I think in the past was smoke and mirrors when playing well the last couple of months in the season, as they were still cheating on offense.
This time they’re winning and playing better defense, so there is hope that the team is coming around to the realization you can’t always cheat to the offensive side, and to have situational awareness.
So, in the end, there's always going to be compounding factors, variables that make it difficult to isolate why we are winning vs losing, but looking at some splits from both seasons at 5v5, you don't really see a big change in the underlying numbers from 2022-23, at least not a positive one, where as there are significant improvements this season in everything but GA.

2022-23TOICFCACF%GFGAGF%xGFxGAxGF%SCFSCASCF%HDCFHDCAHDCF%
Oct-Dec1656.9361.8157.180.522.102.680.442.852.630.5231.9028.430.5313.1411.230.54
Jan-Apr2113.6059.8457.030.512.642.920.472.772.630.5128.8129.670.4912.3812.180.50
2023-24TOICFCACF%GFGAGF%xGFxGAxGF%SCFSCASCF%HDCFHDCAHDCF%
Oct-Dec1483.5558.0862.650.483.072.950.512.472.730.4725.3630.860.4510.9212.090.47
Jan-Apr2002.4863.0459.480.512.402.910.452.732.640.5128.1927.360.5111.6010.940.51

Now, is that something to be hopeful about, or to suggest that this time is different, that remains to be seen, I suppose. But one can see both on the ice and in the numbers that the team is playing better right now (imo). That's all that was really being stated, the team is playing well. Be as optimistic or pessimistic as you like wrt what this means for the future, no need to take it for anything other than what it is, an observation of the current performance of the team.

Reactions: jbeck5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad