GDT: Ottawa Senators at Washington Capitals - 7PM - SN/TVAS - Capital Letter Double Yew

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Man that was awful. Was late watching. Wish I didn’t bother. Washington was garbage also. We simply beat ourselves with dung goaltending by Forsberg and whatever the heck that Chychrun Hamonic pairing were trying to do all night.

Need more cap flexibility in future seasons to be able to scratch guys and have call ups or spares based on performances not only injuries. Clearly that 4th line doesn’t work. Kubalik either isn’t an nhler and/or can’t play in that role. Need puck cyclers on it.

Obviously these goalies can’t be trusted tho my goodness. Reading the odd poster in here still defending our goalie performances is crazy. Ours certainly don’t win us games with their play and more often than not they’ve really pooped the bed badly in losses.
Yeah it was wild that two goalies and two d men can all have that bad of a game at the same time. But it happened.

Kubalik should simply be sent down, no one is taking him. Maybe they are just waiting until after the TDL but once that happens theres absolutely no reason for him to be playing anymore. Same with Hamonic really, he just cant play at this level.

In fact they should be sending Korpisalo down for sure he needs a reset. He has had some bad seasons but this is even an outlier. It worked for Samsonov and Allen try it. They have nothing to lose.

Forsberg was playing well but oh man i think this is the worst game of his career. But atleast he showed signs of life.

Reactions: lang006

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Hamonic has to be the absolute worst on a 2 on 1, idk what happened to the guy because it's pretty basic stuff the he was at least capable of for the vast majority of his career. he plays the pass but let's it through every time, sometimes twice, at this point he may as well charge the shooter at least then he takes one option out.
On the last goal he plays the pass. The pass gets through him. And then rhe guy puts the return pass through him. I also don’t know why both he and Kubalik played the pass.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I told you guys not to celebrate too early

A week or two ago, I told people we need to win 4 games for every loss, and that's just for a 50/50.

The 2 losses to those bottom teams combined with this loss needs another 12 victories just to make up for it.

Hopefully that puts things in perspective for the playoff talk people.

Thank god that main board thread got locked

You're welcome. Made a couple reports myself lmao mods probably had enough.

Reactions: Adrianopolous

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
You only make threads trashing the Sens not praising them.

So he only makes accurate threads?

This team is like minus a thousand over the last several years. We aren't good. Why would you expect rosy threads?

News flash. He isn't. Do you want him to sit on the bench laughing and not giving a crap while they are getting their butts kicked?

Personally, I wish he started something earlier. Doing it with a minute left is silly and pointless and why the other teams laugh.

Should have done it right after the 2 quick goals. Go start a brawl. Make the game entertaining even if we get doubled up. Maybe spark the team to care.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I want him do nothing. Take your pills and come back stronger the next time

I would like this too.

Either use it for motivation/a lesson the next game so it doesn't happen again.

OR

Do something about it earlier in the game.

Reactions: Crosside

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
So he only makes accurate threads?

This team is like minus a thousand over the last several years. We aren't good. Why would you expect rosy threads?
I expect him to not be a hypocrite? He called out fans for not defending the team enough yet he creates a thread on the main boards for everyone to shit on them.

I am pretty sure everyone on here is well aware the Sens have been dog shit for a while now.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
That was a pretty ugly game for the Senators. But, I never bought into the idea that we could make a serious run & push into the playoffs.

Looking at it from the bright side, these losses will help us in the draft.

I do think Staois has an interesting challenge in front of him. It will be interesting to see what transpires at the TDL, the draft and over the summer.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I really feel for Travis Hamonic. The guy is a competitive player and a real team guy. He's got heart and cares out there. But at this point he's literally all heart. He brings nothing else anymore. He's a guy I'd be happy to see in a player development role within the coaching staff but his time on the ice in the NHL should be over.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I really feel for Travis Hamonic. The guy is a competitive player and a real team guy. He's got heart and cares out there. But at this point he's literally all heart. He brings nothing else anymore. He's a guy I'd be happy to see in a player development role within the coaching staff but his time on the ice in the NHL should be over.
I was pissed for him last season when he scored two goals on seven shots in a 5-2 win, but didn't get the bicycle helmet or suntanning goggles or whatever they were handing out in the locker room. I think they gave the award to Forsberg for playing well on his first game back from injury or something like that.

Like, guys, recognize what an outlier that game was for Hamonic and give him the damn recognition!

Reactions: armani

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
i get that piling on the goalies is the cool thing to do right now.

but some of those goals had nothing to do with the goalie.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I expect him to not be a hypocrite? He called out fans for not defending the team enough yet he creates a thread on the main boards for everyone to shit on them.

I am pretty sure everyone on here is well aware the Sens have been dog shit for a while now.

Oh sorry I think I misunderstood your post.

I thought you were saying he only makes negative posts...I was saying that would be expected for such a bad team.

My bad. Carry on!

Reactions: Pierre from Orleans

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010

Sure but it’s also not fair to expect the skaters to never make mistakes because they all end up in the back of their net.

At the beginning of the year people blamed the team defence. Now they’ve tightened up considerably under Jacques and yet we still can’t predict period to period what kind of goaltending we’ll get. It’s the #1 problem on the team right now. Even teams that win cups have plenty of defensive breakdowns.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton

Exactly. But if it makes some people feel better than why not?

I fail to understand how can the goalie be blamed for any of those goals, except for the PP goals in the first period. Sure, I mean, he could come up big and could've made one or two big saves, but letting the other Team shoot from prime scoring chances, you can only hope for a big save, nothing more.

A goalie is a product of its defense that plays Infront of him, game in game out. A continuous bad defense can derail a goalies confidence, as well.

Sure but it’s also not fair to expect the skaters to never make mistakes because they all end up in the back of their net.

At the beginning of the year people blamed the team defence. Now they’ve tightened up considerably under Jacques and yet we still can’t predict period to period what kind of goaltending we’ll get. It’s the #1 problem on the team right now. Even teams that win cups have plenty of defensive breakdowns.

True, but the mistakes with this team are coming fast and furious

Reactions: Agent Zub

Sting

Feb 8, 2004

No they don't, but a lot of the goals do. Virtually every high danger chance against these guys goes in. I've also never seen so many softies let in our net in a single year either. Many people have said it - all the Sens need right now is average goaltending. Average. They're not getting that.

I'd say this team should have 8-12 more points from average goaltending alone.

The defensive issues are another problem. Hamonic is going to need to get bought out over the summer probably and Chyc needs to get moved for a RD.

Reactions: lang006 and DrEasy

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Exactly. But if it makes some people feel better than why not?

I fail to understand how can the goalie be blamed for any of those goals, except for the PP goals in the first period. Sure, I mean, he could come up big and could've made one or two big saves, but letting the other Team shoot from prime scoring chances, you can only hope for a big save, nothing more.

A goalie is a product of its defense that plays Infront of him, game in game out. A continuous bad defense can derail a goalies confidence, as well.

True, but the mistakes with this team are coming fast and furious

not to mention it wasn't like it was some rando shooter. it was max pac with all the time in the world to load up and pick his shot uncontested.

the other "weak" goal, a quick off the dot shot from the golden road that goes between the legs of kelly and from another great shooter in Carlson.

two great shooters from high percentage areas shooting with little pressure.

like those were the "weakest" goals and somehow we lost just because of the goalies lol.

goalies did not really have fair chance at any of the others.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
No they don't, but a lot of the goals do. Virtually every high danger chance against these guys goes in. I've also never seen so many softies let in our net in a single year either. Many people have said it - all the Sens need right now is average goaltending. Average. They're not getting that.

I'd say this team should have 8-12 more points from average goaltending alone.

The defensive issues are another problem. Hamonic is going to need to get bought out over the summer probably and Chyc needs to get moved for a RD.
People defending the goaltending. :shakehead

Screenshot 2024-02-27 131311.jpg

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

team is still wildly inconsistent. even when the team is playing good they are prone to really bad breakdowns.

but in general bad team play seems to correlate with bad goaltending, good team defense seems to correlate with solid goaltending and wins.

this team still needs to get better defensively and yea it sucks that the goalies aren't stealing more games for us. but im not gonna blame the goalies for not putting up more high end/vezina performances when neither are paid like it.

Reactions: LiseL

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
team is still wildly inconsistent. even when the team is playing good they are prone to really bad breakdowns.

but in general bad team play seems to correlate with bad goaltending, good team defense seems to correlate with solid goaltending and wins.

this team still needs to get better defensively and yea it sucks that the goalies aren't stealing more games for us. but im not gonna blame the goalies for not putting up vezina performances when neither are paid like it.
There’s a middle ground between Vezina and what we’ve gotten. Korpisalo in particular makes great saves and then half the goals he lets in are terrible and deflating so it’s not even the defensive breakdowns a lot of the time.

They do need to improve still, I don’t know what Chychrun and Hamonic were doing last night. But the Sens aren’t gonna be perfect defensively every night, and their goalies should be able to make routine saves and bail them out on occasion. No one is asking for Hasek here.

We can’t just isolate last night, this is a pattern all season. Do you know what to expect from Korpi tonight? Cause I don’t. Maybe he lets in a shot from centre ice in the first minute, maybe he makes three highlight reel saves before letting in a wrister. Maybe he’s even good all game. Maybe he’s bad in the first and amazing in the second. It’s the most up and down goaltending imaginable and not conducive to the guys in front of him playing steady hockey either. It goes both ways.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Brady, Batherson, Norris and Stutzle only have one + season between them in past 3-4 season (and that being Batherson shockingly where he played 40 odd games)

This needs to change starting now and going into the next season, when our top defensemen (excluding Chychrun) and every other forward in the top 9 are all + (Giroux is -1, but was a + player last season)

And, I am not even going to talk about Kubalik.... my gooodness

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

this team still needs to get better defensively and yea it sucks that the goalies aren't stealing more games for us. but im not gonna blame the goalies for not putting up more high end/vezina performances when neither are paid like it.

Dude. No one is asking for Vezina level stuff. They are currently at and 0.881 SVP% . That is objectively and historically awful. It's happened across two coaching staffs when many other areas have made obvious improvements. Way too many easy saves are let in by our goalies.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Dude. No one is asking for Vezina level stuff. They are currently at and 0.881 SVP% . That is objectively and historically awful. It's happened across two coaching staffs when many other areas have made obvious improvements. Way too many easy saves are let in by our goalies.

i think the save is a combination of bad goaltending, but also of this team keeping shots low but still being prone to massive wtf breakdowns.

like go back and look at the goals last night, aside from the Carlsson and Max Pac goals which of the goals were the goalies supposed to save? I'd say none of them.

it is definitely the snake eating its own tail though, people saying how can the team have confidence when the goalies are bad but how can the goalies have confidence when they let in those 4 goals last night and are blamed for it?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
To those who found their way in here out of what I'm assuming is loneliness, why not try f***ing a couch cushion instead?

Speaking of weird sex,

Anyone else ever go through the phase where you're trying to conceive.

It's like appointment, scheduled sex.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
i think the save is a combination of bad goaltending, but also of this team keeping shots low but still being prone to massive wtf breakdowns.

like go back and look at the goals last night, aside from the Carlsson and Max Pac goals which of the goals were the goalies supposed to save? I'd say none of them.

it is definitely the snake eating its own tail though, people saying how can the team have confidence when the goalies are bad but how can the goalies have confidence when they let in those 4 goals last night and are blamed for it?

Aside from the 2 goals out of 20 shots that they absolutely should have stopped they were fine??!?! NHL goalies should let in 2 of those per month, tops. They happen to us seemingly every second game or so. Having two in the same game is horrid.

The numbers don't lie. Our goalies have been bad this year. Very bad. And almost 60 games into the season it is not some kind of statistical anomaly. They just aren't getting it done. The way we currently play D is, for the most part, good enough to get the job done. Huge breakdowns happen all the time. Team systems are difficult to execute with many moving parts. It happens bu for a month and half now we've been fine defensively. Goalies can't say the same.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Obviously nobody expected him to be as bad as he's been, but nobody should be surprised Korpisalo is unable to hold a save percentage above .900. It's just who he is most seasons even though it's technically his career average at .902. He did last year, but hadn't 4 of the 5 seasons prior to that. One of his best appears to be his rookie season when he was new to the league, which is 8 years ago now.

When the deal was made public, the reaction was not overly positive, but there was a lot of talk about the double hip surgery, his season last year, and the hope that would make him a starter. We had no choice but to get on that train and hope for the best, but imo, it is looking very much like the below is just him. That's not a $4 mil x 5 year goaltender.

Korpisalo.jpg

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Obviously nobody expected him to be as bad as he's been, but nobody should be surprised Korpisalo is unable to hold a save percentage above .900. It's just who he is most seasons even though it's technically his career average at .902. He did last year, but hadn't 4 of the 5 seasons prior to that. One of his best appears to be his rookie season when he was new to the league, which is 8 years ago now.

When the deal was made public, the reaction was not overly positive, but there was a lot of talk about the double hip surgery, his season last year, and the hope that would make him a starter. We had no choice but to get on that train and hope for the best, but imo, it is looking very much like the below is just him. That's not a $4 mil x 5 year goaltender.

View attachment 826071
A buyout isn't worth it and it would cost too many assets to trade him. We need a miracle young goalie on an entry level contract to come out of nowhere so Korp can be the backup.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad