Prospect Info: Ottawa Senators agree to terms with forward Egor Sokolov on a one-year, two-way contract

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Egor Sokolov Stats:
2022 - 2023 - 70 games - 21 goals - 38 assists = 59 Pts (1st)
2021 - 2022 - 64 games - 19 goals - 31 assists = 50 Pts (2nd)
2020 - 2021 - 35 games - 15 goals - 10 assists = 35 Pts (1st)

Continued Improvement ...
Well Aragorn seems like your boy Soko is in awesome shape. We could use a 215 pounder with some skill in the bottom 6 if he can keep up.

Reactions: aragorn

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Clearly not in the plans of the organization. Look at who they have passed him over for call up. The who’s who of who’s!

Sad to see but hopefully he gets a chance with a team that values his unique on ice preserve.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sokolov's contract is up in June, and he has now officially graduated from prospect to suspect. I don't think you see him back in the organization come September. He will either need someone else to take a flier on him, or he is heading to the KHL...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sokolov's contract is up in June, and he has now officially graduated from prospect to suspect. I don't think you see him back in the organization come September. He will either need someone else to take a flier on him, or he is heading to the KHL...
Too bad, such a good story, and seemingly great person.

Wherever he ends up I wish him nothing but the best.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Did he land any type of right to stay in Canada? I'd feel terrible for anyone having to go back to Russia after being here for 7 or 8 years

Reactions: Larionov and NB613

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

I think he'll stick to the AHL for now, unless he gets a too good offer to pass up in the KHL. He made $120,000 in the AHL this season but should see this amount double next season with the hope of getting a call up or two

Maybe the Sens extend him another year but it would be surprising to see him stick around much longer with us

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Never saw any potential in him. Nice story for sure but not NHL calibre
Watched him closely the few times he was with the big team and never saw it. I think some people saw what they wanted him to be rather than what he was. Seems like a really great guy and all but he's been passed by so many guys in the prospect pool it seems likely that his future with this team is settled.

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Did he land any type of right to stay in Canada? I'd feel terrible for anyone having to go back to Russia after being here for 7 or 8 years
While he may not be viewed as a possible NHLer anymore he's obviously a good AHL player, big guy, scores goals, and seems to be a good vibe dude. I think he could easily find a 1-way with an AHL team looking for depth if the NHL door is truly closed for him.

Reactions: aragorn

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I really wanted us to draft Soks on draft day, even suggesting he would be worth using one of our 2nds on. Despite the fact many of you said you wouldn’t use anything higher than a 4th. I got taken in by the over-ager effect. And the thinking that everyone can take that next step like Stone. So today, when I was supposed to be soaking in the glory of all that foresight, the writing really looks to be on the wall. So many of us were really pulling for the guy. But the callups would seem to speak for themselves.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
IIRC he is engaged to a Canadian girl, so he will likely get saved by marriage should he wish to stay in Canada.

Reactions: JD1

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
While he may not be viewed as a possible NHLer anymore he's obviously a good AHL player, big guy, scores goals, and seems to be a good vibe dude. I think he could easily find a 1-way with an AHL team looking for depth if the NHL door is truly closed for him.

Why don't we offer him that big AHL contract?

I feel like every year we try to strengthen our AHL team and sign these guys to like 200k a year to play in the AHL.

Why not him?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Why don't we offer him that big AHL contract?

I feel like every year we try to strengthen our AHL team and sign these guys to like 200k a year to play in the AHL.

Why not him?
I think the question should be: why does he deserve a big AHL contract?

7th on the team in pt/g.
3rd on the team in pts (despite a huge advantage in gp)
40%+ of his pts have come on the PP (highest ratio on the team)
1 game-winning goal
0 overtime goals

The numbers don't add up, unfortunately.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think the question should be: why does he deserve a big AHL contract?

7th on the team in pt/g.
3rd on the team in pts (despite a huge advantage in gp)
40%+ of his pts have come on the PP (highest ratio on the team)
1 game-winning goal
0 overtime goals

The numbers don't add up, unfortunately.
You get a big AHL contract for playing in the league for a while, doesn't really matter how good you are. Pretty much a reward to staying in the AHL rather than heading overseas.

AHL vets get the 300ishk contracts, Sokolov can be considered a vet heaqding into his 5th fulltime season.

Guys like Alex Grant got 275k and 300k after 4 and 5 years, Clark Bishop making 275k, O'Dell got 300k after 4 AHL seasons of similar production. Those types of players get the big AHL contracts, doesn't need to be high level players, because usually those high level AHL players are in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad