Ottawa Senators 13-14 Rational Discussion and Perspective Thread

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Last year was still sort of his style. It was puck possession, fast defense.

He should make them play like that again. My opinion. It will save me from having heart attacks.

When all of the injuries hit last season it seemed like the strategy was to hang in tight and try to pot a goal near the end. This year's team, and the team two seasons ago, was more of a high octane offense.

Point taken about puck possession. MacLean always put that high on his list, and it is a trademark of his teams.

WhiteLight*

When all of the injuries hit last season it seemed like the strategy was to hang in tight and try to pot a goal near the end. This year's team, and the team two seasons ago, was more of a high octane offense.

Point taken about puck possession. MacLean always put that high on his list, and it is a trademark of his teams.

I don't see why they can't do that this year. Same kind of defense, give up a ridiculously low amount of goals. And the team will just score more than last year anyway simply because it's a more talented roster.

May not score as much but will result in more wins imo.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I don't see why they can't do that this year. Same kind of defense, give up a ridiculously low amount of goals. And the team will just score more than last year anyway simply because it's a more talented roster.

May not score as much but will result in more wins imo.

The roster was built in a particular way, which is to score their way to a Stanley Cup (to use MacLean's words), and that type of approach would not be playing to their strengths. They used that strategy last year because it made the most of what they had. It would not be the best fit this year because it does not make the most of what they have.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Last year before the injury the team started off beautifully with really strong defense from the get-go and great offense.

The defensive stinginess wasn't as much of an afterthought of the injuries as it was a product of the system from puck drop.

Only reason people thought that we changed completely was because we just stopped scoring goals like we did at the start and therefore we were identified as "defensive system"

Which was untrue at all.. and is very comforting to know because we can play both styles at same time, producing offense without giving up defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad