Proposal: Ottawa - Carolina

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
To Ottawa: Haydn Fleury
To Carolina: Mike Hoffman

Picks could be included, but this would be the core.

Ottawa gets a big, mobile LH defenseman that they can pair with Karlsson for (hopefully), the next 5-7 years. He'd round out a good, young top 4 core with Karlsson (again hopefully), Chabot, Fleury and Ceci.

Carolina gets a goal scoring winger with a big shot signed to an appropriate contract that can slot into their top 6. They definitely like Fleury, but with Faulk, Slavin, Hanifin, Pesce and Bean coming up, it's a position of strength they could afford to subtract from.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Reasonable. The Canes need an upgrade at center, but the market is rather barren right now; it may not materialize. Lindholm needs a goal scorer that isn’t a one-man show to pass the puck to. Hoffman is under contract for another ~2.5 seasons. Going into next season:

Aho – Staal – Teravainen
Hoffman – Rask? – Lindholm
Skinner – Necas? – Williams

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Fleury came out of the gates very strong, earning a 2nd pair role next to Faulk. He hit a bit of a wall and the coaches started to rotate him in and out of the lineup with Dahlbeck since. Overall, Fleury has been NHL caliber. The Canes have been and continue to be very patient with his development.

Mid-term, I’m not sure if he has the natural offensive ability to be anything more than a complimentary Top 4 defensive defenseman. 1st/2nd pair depends on how his defense develops and who his partner is.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
giphy.gif

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I'm going to disagree as a Canes fan.

We need a 1C. We pretty much know it's going to cost either Hanifin or Slavin...we can't afford to move Fleury; he's not a luxury, we need him to step into the hole left in our top-4 by our acquisition of an offensive 1C.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm going to disagree as a Canes fan.

We need a 1C. We pretty much know it's going to cost either Hanifin or Slavin...we can't afford to move Fleury; he's not a luxury, we need him to step into the hole left in our top-4 by our acquisition of an offensive 1C.

As far as I can tell, there have been two "true" 1C's traded for in probably the last dozen years. Seguin (because Chiarelli is an idiot) and Johansen, because he and Torts weren't hitting it off. I'm not saying that a defenseman for 1C wouldn't be ideal, but I'm not seeing it be likely at all. Teams that have 1C very rarely part with them. So for me, saying we aren't trading a guy like Fleury because we are waiting for that mythical 1C deal is like turning down an attractive woman because I'm waiting for a supermodel.

We need more guys that can put the puck in the net almost as much as we need a 1C.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Changing gears...any chance Ottawa is unhappy with Duchene and would move him?

Not yet. And yet is the key word there.

It's plausible that after this year ends as a total disaster, they sit down to assess everyone and their role in the team. Maybe they are open to moving him if they feel he just didn't fit. Or maybe they have more clarity by then on who will be part of the team going forward and whether a rebuild is on the horizon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad