Post-Game Talk: Ottawa @ Carolina

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
*benches Wiercioch every 2nd game because he makes a few mistakes*

*consistently plays Cowen 20 minutes a night even though he is a defensive trainwreck with no offensive ability*

ACCOUNTABILITY

John Holmes*

Why can't the team play a different style depending on who is on the ice?

Like when Detroit had their 5 Russians that just did what ever they felt like instead of what the coach wanted?

Play a possession game when those guys are on the ice, crash and bang when those guys are on the ice.

I remember the early 90's Leafs did something like that. When Gilmour was on the ice, carry the puck, make plays and sometimes score.

When that didn't work Burns would throw out Baumgartner and those guys and they would just mash everything in site.

We are too easy to play against.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Why can't the team play a different style depending on who is on the ice?

Like when Detroit had their 5 Russians that just did what ever they felt like instead of what the coach wanted?

Play a possession game when those guys are on the ice, crash and bang when those guys are on the ice.

I remember the early 90's Leafs did something like that. When Gilmour was on the ice, carry the puck, make plays and sometimes score.

When that didn't work Burns would throw out Baumgartner and those guys and they would just mash everything in site.

We are too easy to play against.

Those were veteran clubs.

It's hard enough getting all the young guys up to speed with the NHL game and playing on the same page with one style. Need to keep it simple for the kids. Once they get that solid foundation down, then you can add nuances to it.

As it stands right now, I have to agree with a few previous posters. We need to drift back to the style we had last year. Rebuild that foundation a bit more. Make sure the basics are rock solid, then restart the puck possession thing.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We don't have a first round pick >.<

Anyway, 10 game for Westgarth I hope.

Looking at that hit a few times. Dumb and unnecessary. Only good thing is that Canes fellow (whoever the heck he is, never heard of him before this) wasn't going at a high speed.

I have a feeling we won't see a suspension though. It seems the league is strict in October and just before (and into) the playoffs...rest of the season is fair game.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Spezza and Michalek are both -9 worst on the team. This from what most people thought was our 1st line players. The 3rd winger who plays with them goes from an even or + player to a minus player when he joins the line. Good luck winning games consistently with that. EK who isn't exactly a stalwart on D either is being overtaxed. You'd think if these guys had more judiciously controlled ice time (read that as less not more) the Sens might win more games.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I stopped watching after the 1st period because I had company over.

I thought the team had the game well in hand.

Fire up the PVR later on - er, what?

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
1 goal for never(99+%) wins a game.
4 goals against seldom wins games.

My take on the goals against.

1st Goal
Cowen soft in the corner. Wiercioch low and not reacting. Smith slow reacting (Basically poor positioning, slow reacting defensive zone coverage.) Lehner deep in the blue. Puck off post- good shot.

2nd goal
2 on 5 attack. Methot bit too much gap, Michalyk lazy back check, Karlsson not reading the pass past Methot. Lehner deep in the blue.

3rd goal
****** call on Phillips. Was a push with the gloves and the midget went down. Box started good Methot chases a player high leaving the corner uncovered. Opposition picks up the puck in the corner and has an open lane to the front. Cowen lets Lehner play the shooter, he covers the back door pass. He played it correct. Bad position PK goal. Lehner tight in the goal. I can't fault MacAurther's non collapse as the announcer says.

4rth goal
Empty net goal, totally telegraphed pass by Karlsson. Everybody but the blindman knew where the pass was going.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Would really like to see Hoffman and Pageau called up. Sit Michalek (will never happen) and Greening for a few games (if Boro has to go on IR).

Hoffman - Spezza - Pageau/Michalek
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Conacher - Zibanejad - Condra
Smith - Grant - Neil

Worth a shot IMO.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Michalek and Greening seem like absolutely dead weight this year, I'd love to see Pageau back up. I've still never watched Hoffman all that often, from what I did see I wasn't too impressed but it's a ridiculously small sample size, so my opinion doesn't hold much weight at all.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Would really like to see Hoffman and Pageau called up. Sit Michalek (will never happen) and Greening for a few games (if Boro has to go on IR).

Hoffman - Spezza - Pageau/Michalek
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Conacher - Zibanejad - Condra
Smith - Grant - Neil

Worth a shot IMO.

We have 8 D + 2 goalies = 10
You show potential 13 players + Kassian + Greening = 15

Total = 25 but you can only have 23 so who goes on waivers even if Boro goes on ir?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
1 goal for never(99+%) wins a game.
4 goals against seldom wins games.

My take on the goals against.

2nd goal
2 on 5 attack. Methot bit too much gap, Michalyk lazy back check, Karlsson not reading the pass past Methot. Lehner deep in the blue.

3rd goal

Honestly, that was just a great play and a perfect pass. Michalek was not lazy, he was right there...it was just where that pass went on his stick. Like MacArthur's pass to Turris, and people were trying to blame Suter...sometimes it is just a great play and leave it at that.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
Honestly, that was just a great play and a perfect pass. Michalek was not lazy, he was right there...it was just where that pass went on his stick. Like MacArthur's pass to Turris, and people were trying to blame Suter...sometimes it is just a great play and leave it at that.

BS Pure laziness, he let his man go anticipating that Karlsson would pick him up. 9MM is lazy a lot!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad