Proposal: Ottawa - Boston

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Boston fans may be in differ though

I'd rather give up Zboril than a pick. We just have too many LDs. Chara, Krug, Gryz, Moore with Vaakaneinen, Zboril and Lauzon knocking. Zboril is friends with Chabot and they worked well together in juniors. Not that the latter means anything but it can't hurt.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I'd rather give up Zboril than a pick. We just have too many LDs. Chara, Krug, Gryz, Moore with Vaakaneinen, Zboril and Lauzon knocking. Zboril is friends with Chabot and they worked well together in juniors. Not that the latter means anything but it can't hurt.

The Sens also have too many LD. They already have Chabot and Brannstrom locking down the top two pairings on LD, with Lajoie and Wolanin fighting for the 3rd spot.

Reactions: wintersej

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Does Lauzon still play on the right side? He may be a better fit given the Sens also have LD depth (as alluded to already). I'd probably take Zboril over a mid draft pick if it came down to it, but would (much) prefer Lauzon.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Does Lauzon still play on the right side? He may be a better fit given the Sens also have LD depth (as alluded to already). I'd probably take Zboril over a mid draft pick if it came down to it, but would (much) prefer Lauzon.

Both have played both sides down in Providence. If it gets to Lauzon, I am looking around to other teams and deciding if the Bruins actually need the space for a specific purpose. They don’t NEED to move Backes, but it certainly opens things up.

Reactions: stempniaksen

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Backes is not even a good fighter, that was a bad contract. His cap hit stays at 6 for the term, so maybe a team that needs to get up to the cap. Otherwise he basically sits next year, no room for him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Trade makes sense actually.

Only issue is Backes's NMC. I don't see him waiving it to go to Ottawa.
that expires after this season. but he does have a Mntc of 8 teams he would go to. Doubtful Ottawa is in that list. Likely Only US teams

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

how about cehlarik? bruins are deep at LW too. b's could potentially buy smith out after that as well (shade over $1M per
year cap hit for 4 seasons). they would need someone to file for arbitration since the regular buyout window would be over by
july 2, but it's doable.

great proposal, OP. just tweak it a little and hope backes says ok.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Yeah, I think Ottawa passes for a 3rd. Backes makes more sense for Ottawa than it would almost any other team, but that doesn't exactly make him an attractive option for the Sens. Also, after losing a few deals, I'm not sure they'd want to do a contending team in-division a favor and give them an out on a problem contract. At least not without a better asset going the other way. A 2nd seems more apt. And then Backes could still nix it.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
A 3rd rounder from Boston is likely close to 85th overall. I don't think that's much of a sweetner for Ottawa.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
^ I do hear wanting a 2nd instead of a 3rd from a fan POV. From a business POV you are saving a few million dollars by swapping two guys who would clear waivers because of their salary. Even 1 for 1 the Sens benefit. Boston benefits more so Sens can push harder. Regardless, I think it’s moot. Why the heck would he waive?

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I feel like Sems would rather Smith and not everything based on money.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Backes must submit a list of teams (not sure how many) he’d accept a trade to. I’d imagine Ottawa isn’t one of them. I do agree that he will not be in Boston next season.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
If the NMC expires does that mean Backes could potentially end up in the minors? He would probably prefer a trade to Ottawa over playing in Providence.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00