Jul 26, 2005
This would be done after July 1st.

To Ottawa:
David Backes
A Draft Pick (3rd or 4th?)

To Boston:
Zack Smith

Based off this report:

This could be beneficial to both teams. Backes is only owed $5m after July 1st ($1m in 2019-20, $4m in 2020-21). Zack Smith makes $3.25m for the next two seasons.

Boston:
-Shed a ton of cap space ($6M to $3.25M)
-Get someone better suited to be a 3rd-4th line grinder

Ottawa:
-Save in actual contract dollars ($6.5M to $5M)
-Gets a solid vet and a consummate pro for the kids
-Gets an additional pick
-Backes is happy he doesn't need to be an enforcer anymore​

Reactions: 3rdWheelNeil

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Not a bad idea but I think it misses that Backes wants to play on a winning team and that's the reason he's embracing the role. I don't think he just wants to count his paycheques until retirement a float around like Bobby Ryan.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Not a bad idea but I think it misses that Backes wants to play on a winning team and that's the reason he's embracing the role. I don't think he just wants to count his paycheques until retirement a float around like Bobby Ryan.

I'm not in Backes' head, but for how long can he keep this up? Also, will doing this keep him in the Bruins lineup for the next 2 seasons? What if he gets bought out? Would he find another team to play on? It might actually make sense for him to accept his fate and move on to a different role at this stage of his career and be an mentor.

Just speculating / playing devil's advocate here.

Reactions: JamesFord

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I think people are taking the "enforcer" role too literally. Backes is still a heavy/heady player with a strong forecheck and some sandpaper to his game. Thats the new age of enforcer IMO, not the straight up 20+ fights enforcer of 5+ years ago.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
I think people are taking the "enforcer" role too literally. Backes is still a heavy/heady player with a strong forecheck and some sandpaper to his game. Thats the new age of enforcer IMO, not the straight up 20+ fights enforcer of 5+ years ago.
Except he has 3 fights in his last 4 games. 0 points, -1, 15 Pims while averaging 11:30 of ice time.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Except he has 3 fights in his last 4 games. 0 points, -1, 15 Pims while averaging 11:30 of ice time.

Yes I've watched them, but its not like hes going to be fighting in all of them.

Its just a guess/my opinion, but I think Backes would be very effective as a 4th liner playing 9-11 minutes a game. Cassidy has to know him fighting isn't a strong part of his game.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
When Pastrnak returns from his injury I think there is going to be a problem and Backes sees the writing on the wall. He's going to be the #5 RW or #5 center and next year he could drop down the depth chart even further if any of the Bruins RW or center prospects pan out. If he is with the team next year he is going to be the 13th forward I would guess.

He's valuable to have on the team for the playoffs but I'm not sure where they go after that. I can't see him being happy as the enforcer who only gets spot duty and fills in for injured players. Maybe he accepts that role, I just imagine it would be difficult for him, he might welcome a trade at that point and his NMC wouldn't mean much.

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
There's zero chance Backes is on the Bruins next season. Either they pay a team to take on his contract (assuming he waives his NMC) or they buy him out. They aren't going to have a guy who should be a healthy scratch eating up $6M on the cap.

Zack Smith is cheaper, younger, and more productive. I would take the proposed trade in a second.

Reactions: JamesFord

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
There's zero chance Backes is on the Bruins next season. Either they pay a team to take on his contract (assuming he waives his NMC) or they buy him out. They aren't going to have a guy who should be a healthy scratch eating up $6M on the cap.

Zack Smith is cheaper, younger, and more productive. I would take the proposed trade in a second.

He's got a modified no trade list next year. He can name 8 teams he would accept a trade to. Although, this does act as a NTC because he could probably strategically list teams that would never trade for him (Toronto, Tampa, etc) and leave off teams like Arizona, Carolina, and Ottawa that would be viable destinations.

A buyout is not going to happen. It's actually worse cap wise for the Bruins to buy him out. Signing bonuses are buyout proof, and then the cost of a replacement body (650k+) on the roster exceeds the buyout savings next season.

It would come down to the Bruins convincing Backes that he can either be a scratch for the rest of his time in the Bruins because he has clearly been played out of the lineup, or he'd have the option of accepting a trade to Ottawa which might be the only destination in the league where he'd be nearly guaranteed to play every night, while also being given the opportunity to take on a big leadership role in a young room.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
If the SENS are going to add forwards through trade or UFA they need to be top 6 talent. We have a glut of bottom 6 players especially considering that's where most of our developing players should be sheltered next year.

Nothing worse than bringing in 'leadership' to a terrible young team and parking them on the third or fourth lines. I'd have a different opinion mind you if it was pitched as purely a contract dump for BOS and the return reflected it.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Buying him out is not an option because of how his contract is structured.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Sample size. Is it also three fights in 50 games?

Interesting trade idea. Would be dependent on Backes agreeing as others said.

“I asked Butchy when we were in Vegas (for a Feb. 20 game against the Golden Knights) and we had a meeting if I could be put in roles or places that would have a bigger impact on games and you know, whether that’s with my gloves off or my gloves on I think he’s provided me those opportunities and hopefully I’ve done my job for him,” Backes said.

That was literally 5 games ago. 5 games ago they talked about him taking on an enforcer role. So my sample size of 5 games is correct.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If the SENS are going to add forwards through trade or UFA they need to be top 6 talent. We have a glut of bottom 6 players especially considering that's where most of our developing players should be sheltered next year.

Nothing worse than bringing in 'leadership' to a terrible young team and parking them on the third or fourth lines. I'd have a different opinion mind you if it was pitched as purely a contract dump for BOS and the return reflected it.

This wouldn't be a hockey move but a front office $$$ move.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think if Backes would wave, the piece going with him would have to be juicier than a 3rd. The Sens win the deal as is from a business POV, but given that the Bruins market for Backes will be limited they can put the screws on a bit. Zboril I think would be a good add to the deal. Bruins have plenty of LD. Zboril and Chabot have worked well together in the past. Zboril still very much has very good 2nd pair upside, but he isn't so sure to hit it that Boston can't let him go.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
it would take a lot more than that to take on a bad contract like that...

Bickell for 1 year return Teravainen.

I dunno if Boston wants to dump backes that badly but cap space should return a decent prospect or good pick

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
it would take a lot more than that to take on a bad contract like that...

Bickell for 1 year return Teravainen.

I dunno if Boston wants to dump backes that badly but cap space should return a decent prospect or good pick

Meh there are different examples. Datsyuk, Bickell, Savard, all had different X factors and widely different returns.

From a Sens POV they are getting a better than or equal player for less real cash. And they are getting an asset on top of it. They can squeeze Boston for an extra asset because Boston will still make the team if they have to include certain assets... but they were not in a situation like Chicago where they were totally painted into a corner. Bruins don't NEED to move Backes, but it would help them improve the team if they cleared the cap space. Chicago NEEDED to move Bickell.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Meh there are different examples. Datsyuk, Bickell, Savard, all had different X factors and widely different returns.

From a Sens POV they are getting a better than or equal player for less real cash. And they are getting an asset on top of it. They can squeeze Boston for an extra asset because Boston will still make the team if they have to include certain assets... but they were not in a situation like Chicago where they were totally painted into a corner. Bruins don't NEED to move Backes, but it would help them improve the team if they cleared the cap space. Chicago NEEDED to move Bickell.

Datsyuk and Savard was just dead cap space wasn't it? while Bickell was an actual player with salary ?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Datsyuk and Savard was just dead cap space wasn't it? while Bickell was an actual player with salary ?

Yup. And Backes is 2.5 a year in real salary for a player that can actually play on a roster. The salary is inline with his ability. The cap hit isn't and not even close. Ottawa saves real money and gets another player that can play the same role.* Ottawa can put the screws to Boston a little because Boston is benefiting more that Ottawa in a 1 for 1 deal, but they both benefit even 1 for 1. Boston adds someone like Zboril to the deal and if Backes okays it, both teams win.

*Even if you don't care about the mentoring stuff on a young club, and I think someone like Bergeron would highly disagree with you given how he talks about Marty LaPointe, you are getting someone who can play the same role at equal value on ice for less cash.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
If Backes actually waives his NTC and the 3rd is a 2nd, then ottawa should probably seriously look at this.

Yeah, I originally typed a 2nd, but I wasn't sure what the precedent was for a deal like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad