Ottawa attendance last night was only 11061

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I think it'll pick back up as the Jays season winds down. I really think that impacts the NHl teams attendance and fan interest

HarrisonFord

Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Toronto=/Ottawa

Yes, but it's the MLB team of all Canada.

Not to mention media coverage, which probably also influences fan attendance, is split between NHL coverage and MLB coverage. I think Ottawa will be fine as the season rolls on and attendance will grow

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I can't wait to hear all the excuses, I mean "reasons", why this is totally cool while no team south of the Ohio River (plus Columbus) has ever been given such leeway.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Toronto=/Ottawa

Jays have been established since 1977 and are arguably the most successful sport franchise in English speaking Canada in that time.

Jay's playoff games are a better TV draw than nearly every other Canadian pro sport team

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I can't wait to hear all the excuses, I mean "reasons", why this is totally cool while no team south of the Ohio River (plus Columbus) has ever been given such leeway.

Where's the thread about islanders attendance?
Also, I'm pretty sure if you looked it wasn't Ottawa fans participating in those discussions

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I wish there was an easy way to cross reference the posters who are/will be making excuses for the Senators attendance who ripped the Sun Belt teams for similar issues.

HarrisonFord

Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Jays have been established since 1977 and are arguably the most successful sport franchise in English speaking Canada.

Jay's playoff games are a better TV draw than nearly every other Canadian pro sport team

Exactly. I think the fact that the home opener vs. Toronto, which is typically sold out by Leaf fans, helps show that the Jays impact on NHL attendance in (at least Ontario) is a real thing. It's affecting Toronto's attention to the NHL as well - even with Auston Matthews scoring 4 goals in his first game. You'll see the attention shift back to the NHL once the Jays are out (hopefully not for a couple weeks)

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Where's the thread about islanders attendance?
Also, I'm pretty sure if you looked it wasn't Ottawa fans participating in those discussions

Starting in 1990-91, the Islanders had a 21-year attendance average of something like 10,700.

I happened to be very vocal about that. If other people weren't paying attention, that's not my problem.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
The real issue with Ottawa is that they no longer wear these uniforms
s-alexi-yashin-of-the-ottawa-senators-skates-against-the-montreal-in-picture-id97583435

7351_mid_1990_s_alexe.jpg

KaptainKomarov

Dec 1, 2014
Let's wait out a little before we start declaring "serious trouble"

Agreed, especially with the way blue jays playoff games are hyped up Canada-wide. Casual fans of baseball are staying home to watch the Jays. Once the MLB season is over, I expect a rebound in Ottawa's attendance.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Couple of things going against them, Jays in playoffs, cheap owner and rink is out of town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad