Not open for further replies.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
To Ottawa:
Derek Stepan - 1yr @6.500

To Arizona:
DAL 2nd round pick (~60th overall)

Arizona is tight up against the cap and could use some relief. 6.500 is no chump change in the flat cap world. They also have no picks in the first 3 rounds, and no 1st or 3rd next year. I assume they would welcome a pick at this point.

Ottawa could use a stopgap center if they trade Tierney. They can also recoup assets for Stepan at the deadline, and his salary is only 2.000 once his bonus is paid.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Assume Stepan has a bonus being paid out prior? If so and I'm Arizona, I'm asking for more considering Eugenes situation, history of dealing assets for cash savings and cap circumvention goals.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
The thing people over look is Ottawa doesn't need these deals as they won't have a problem reaching the floor. The pick is on the wrong side. Edmonton as an example will pay you to take Russell 1yr $4 million, only $1.5 million in actual cash.

Moving Stepan helps Arizona a lot more than it helps Ottawa.

Reactions: Crosside

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
He’s due just $2m in actual cash for next season

Always safe to assume on the side of cheapness with the Sens, assume the op like most fans knows this so its a realistic trade option, still think Arizona and other team should take advantage and really give Eugene the gears!

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Always safe to assume on the side of cheapness with the Sens, assume the op like most fans knows this so its a realistic trade option, still think Arizona and other team should take advantage and really give Eugene the gears!
Stepan isn’t old and is pretty good. He was probably Arizona’s best all-around forward in the playoffs (which isn’t saying much). His offense nose-dived in AZ under Tocchet. But so did every other player Chayka brought in to play for that staff. Would not surprise me at all to see a notable uptick in productivity from Stepan, and the Sens recoup that 2nd and more at the TDL. Playoff teams usually want right handed centers that are really solid defensively. Say what you want about Stepan, he’s at least that.

There is a tendency for fans to think overpaid players are bad. Stepan would a very nice player at half his cap-hit. He’s not bad. He’s just got a bloated cap-hit. If you’re looking at pure salary, at $2m, he’s FANTASTIC value. He’s probably worth twice that.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
6.5m for a 40 point forward, you won't get a 2nd for that... he has some value if Arizona retains 50 per cent but that is not enough to resign Hall. If not look at Marleau last year for benchmark, a 1st went the other way ;)

Reactions: GreeningOil

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
6.5m for a 40 point forward, you won't get a 2nd for that... he has some value if Arizona retains 50 per cent but that is not enough to resign Hall. If not look at Marleau last year for benchmark, a 1st went the other way ;)

Stepan is much better than Marleau was but teams certainly wont be lining up for him

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
As far as point production and +/- goes Marleau 18/19 compares quite well with Stepan 19/20...

Marleau put those numbers up on a run and gun offensive team while being substandard defensively; Stepan posted his on a team where no one broke 45 points and he was relied on defensively. Theres also the fact that Marleau was almost 10 years older than Stepan is, which generally means you can account for a *slightly* larger fall off. Add in the fact that Marleau had a full NMC and would only play for one team.... and the two really arent comparable.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Marleau put those numbers up on a run and gun offensive team while being substandard defensively; Stepan posted his on a team where no one broke 45 points and he was relied on defensively. Theres also the fact that Marleau was almost 10 years older than Stepan is, which generally means you can account for a *slightly* larger fall off. Add in the fact that Marleau had a full NMC and would only play for one team.... and the two really arent comparable.
Not even a little. It’s nonsense narrative.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Not even a little. It’s nonsense narrative.
Yeah. Stepans value is certainly hurt by his contract, simply because it severely limits the market for him (every team would love him at his salary, but many can’t justify his cap hit) but to a team like the Sens or any other team that isn’t spending to the cap, he’s not an anchor by any means.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Stepan for Anisimov straight up makes sense. Similar production the past two seasons, both C, Arizona saves 2M in cap and Ottawa 1M in cash.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think Stepan is valuable to Arizona for the exact same reason he'd be attractive to Ottawa. Only $2 million salary for a good middle-six C-- one of only three NHL centers under contract (if you don't count Hayton, one of two), and the coach's favourite. Doubt he gets moved before the deadline.
I don't think Hall factors because I don't think there's a chance he actually signs. And I don't think they look at Stepan at $2M as something they need to dump.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Stepan isn’t old and is pretty good. He was probably Arizona’s best all-around forward in the playoffs (which isn’t saying much). His offense nose-dived in AZ under Tocchet. But so did every other player Chayka brought in to play for that staff. Would not surprise me at all to see a notable uptick in productivity from Stepan, and the Sens recoup that 2nd and more at the TDL. Playoff teams usually want right handed centers that are really solid defensively. Say what you want about Stepan, he’s at least that.

There is a tendency for fans to think overpaid players are bad. Stepan would a very nice player at half his cap-hit. He’s not bad. He’s just got a bloated cap-hit. If you’re looking at pure salary, at $2m, he’s FANTASTIC value. He’s probably worth twice that.

Will certainly take your word for it, on ice product and being competive is literally the last thing owneship in Ottawa looks at, this team is an excersize in maximizing the profit while minimizing the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad