Ottawa 67's 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Korbler started for Switzerland today against Czech, lost 3-0

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
@PuckStop75

Both Mews and Marrelli are 17. Amidovaki can most certainly be an impact winger at 17. Not an 80 point guy but someone like Foster production in that 25-30-55 range. Same with the D-Man. He can help give the 3rd pairing a boost offensively. Until they prove otherwise, I expect 1st rounders to start being impactful at 17. They don’t always turn out as expected but the key word there is “expected.”

However, I agree regarding the overall forward group but we need to see if any players like Gardiner end up returning for an OA season. Whitehead needs to make a jump this year and will be 18 then. Some of the bigger wingers they drafted will be older so we can see what impact they could potentially bring.

To position ourselves, we need to relieve the logjam and get these kids into more meaningful minutes. My concern is the same as yours. They deal players on the fringes, keep the inadequate core intact and perpetually become a middling team that struggles to get out of the first round like Killer’s teams the last ten or so years he was the GM.

Reactions: PuckStop75

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
@PuckStop75

Both Mews and Marrelli are 17. Amidovaki can most certainly be an impact winger at 17. Not an 80 point guy but someone like Foster production in that 25-30-55 range. Same with the D-Man. He can help give the 3rd pairing a boost offensively. Until they prove otherwise, I expect 1st rounders to start being impactful at 17. They don’t always turn out as expected but the key word there is “expected.”

However, I agree regarding the overall forward group but we need to see if any players like Gardiner end up returning for an OA season. Whitehead needs to make a jump this year and will be 18 then. Some of the bigger wingers they drafted will be older so we can see what impact they could potentially bring.

To position ourselves, we need to relieve the logjam and get these kids into more meaningful minutes. My concern is the same as yours. They deal players on the fringes, keep the inadequate core intact and perpetually become a middling team that struggles to get out of the first round like Killer’s teams the last ten or so years he was the GM.
Foster was 18 this year, as a 17 yo he had 19-17-36pts. When they got to playoffs he wasn't ready physically to compete at that level and was invisible which I would say is the norm for a 17 yo in the league. Gardiner a 3rd rounder was 19-20-39pts as a 17 yo.

I'd love for Amidovski to turn into Sennecke (don't get me wrong) but that isn't a realistic expectation, and the team would still need to find the line mate equivalents for him to play with. No offense but not seeing a Ritchie and Roobroeck roaming the 67's hallways at the moment.

I guess what I'm getting at, in your original longer range plan for the team this past season was the first year in a 5 year plan, with next year being year 2, I think that was a very realistic approach to becoming a competitive team at the top of the conference again.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Foster was 18 this year, as a 17 yo he had 19-17-36pts. When they got to playoffs he wasn't ready physically to compete at that level and was invisible which I would say is the norm for a 17 yo in the league. Gardiner a 3rd rounder was 19-20-39pts as a 17 yo.

I'd love for Amidovski to turn into Sennecke (don't get me wrong) but that isn't a realistic expectation, and the team would still need to find the line mate equivalents for him to play with. No offense but not seeing a Ritchie and Roobroeck roaming the 67's hallways at the moment.

I guess what I'm getting at, in your original longer range plan for the team this past season was the first year in a 5 year plan, with next year being year 2, I think that was a very realistic approach to becoming a competitive team at the top of the conference again.

I’m not 100% certain about the outlook. If I had to place $$$ on the outcome, I would tend to lean towards your viewpoint. However, if Boyd surprises us and follows through with a rebuild season this coming year and does it with building a championship roster in mind, I think there are possibilities available.

Type main issue is HB not reporting which makes a pretty big hold in the roster for 25-26. That one single hole sits behind Mews and Marrelli (and all the other ‘06s) and doesn’t support them with a first rounder 18 year old which is usually pretty integral.

Another variable is whether players like Foster and Gardiner actually sign with their NHL clubs or not. If they don’t, we could be looking at two pretty solid OA’s in 2025-26.

Are the players currently here happy? Is a player like Mews not wanting to be here? I’m not suggesting he is unhappy but it’s always possible there is a key player that would prefer to be elsewhere (Beck/Rohrer) that can upset a plan as well.

I think they need to approach the coming season understanding that Pinelli needs to go. I like your idea of potentially bundling an OA with a 19 year old for another sizeable package. We saw some pretty creative deals this past deadline with teams like North Bay, Owen Sound and Sudbury trading their 1st round ‘07s for packages of multiple players. I think that is a viable strategy for Ottawa. They do have a strong combination of OA’s and 19 year olds that could be valuable enough to add as many as two more ‘08s. Again, I highlighted Valentini from Brampton but Barrie (Parker Vaughn), Brantford (Aiden O’Donnell), and Oshawa (Brady Smith) may be other players made available at the deadline.

If they managed to bulk up their ‘08 class, we could reposition the competitive window to 2026-27 by trading Mews as a 19 year old. Heck, they could trade him this year as an 18 year old if they were bold enough to do so, and really bulk up the ‘08 class.

Alas, we are getting a little ahead of ourselves but it will be interesting to see what sort of aggressiveness Boyd will have as a seller should he decide to go that route. He isn’t an aggressive buyer, so I doubt he would be and aggressive seller.

yacky

Jun 28, 2018
I’m not 100% certain about the outlook. If I had to place $$$ on the outcome, I would tend to lean towards your viewpoint. However, if Boyd surprises us and follows through with a rebuild season this coming year and does it with building a championship roster in mind, I think there are possibilities available.

Type main issue is HB not reporting which makes a pretty big hold in the roster for 25-26. That one single hole sits behind Mews and Marrelli (and all the other ‘06s) and doesn’t support them with a first rounder 18 year old which is usually pretty integral.

Another variable is whether players like Foster and Gardiner actually sign with their NHL clubs or not. If they don’t, we could be looking at two pretty solid OA’s in 2025-26.

Are the players currently here happy? Is a player like Mews not wanting to be here? I’m not suggesting he is unhappy but it’s always possible there is a key player that would prefer to be elsewhere (Beck/Rohrer) that can upset a plan as well.

I think they need to approach the coming season understanding that Pinelli needs to go. I like your idea of potentially bundling an OA with a 19 year old for another sizeable package. We saw some pretty creative deals this past deadline with teams like North Bay, Owen Sound and Sudbury trading their 1st round ‘07s for packages of multiple players. I think that is a viable strategy for Ottawa. They do have a strong combination of OA’s and 19 year olds that could be valuable enough to add as many as two more ‘08s. Again, I highlighted Valentini from Brampton but Barrie (Parker Vaughn), Brantford (Aiden O’Donnell), and Oshawa (Brady Smith) may be other players made available at the deadline.

If they managed to bulk up their ‘08 class, we could reposition the competitive window to 2026-27 by trading Mews as a 19 year old. Heck, they could trade him this year as an 18 year old if they were bold enough to do so, and really bulk up the ‘08 class.

Alas, we are getting a little ahead of ourselves but it will be interesting to see what sort of aggressiveness Boyd will have as a seller should he decide to go that route. He isn’t an aggressive buyer, so I doubt he would be and aggressive seller.
cant beleive you picked Oshawa in 5 on anothe post lol

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Yeah, I think trading Pinelli and Mews for ‘08s is getting more than just a little ahead of yourselves. I suppose it would not be as bad if getting ‘07s.
I don’t know what the Pete’s’ plan to surround their four ‘07-1sts is, but if they don’t invest heavily in some decent 2005-06 there is chance their kids could be ruined.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
cant beleive you picked Oshawa in 5 on anothe post lol
If you watched Roobroek dominate the slot and did not see the battalion centres prohibit the league’s best shooter from any good shots …the Gens top line is about as good as it gets

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yeah, I think trading Pinelli and Mews for ‘08s is getting more than just a little ahead of yourselves. I suppose it would not be as bad if getting ‘07s.
I don’t know what the Pete’s’ plan to surround their four ‘07-1sts is, but if they don’t invest heavily in some decent 2005-06 there is chance their kids could be ruined.

It is definitely complex. Ottawa will need a centre added next season, preferably an 18 year old that is capable of playing 2nd line. That is why I was sort of hoping they’d consider an Import to fill that role. It is the main reason why I’ve been so adamant about not bringing back Korbler. He is so redundant and easily replaced that it makes no sense to waste an Import slot on him. That centre ice position is a gaping hole for the 67s.

I’d also like to see them free up the wings a bit and give some opportunities to some of their bigger wingers like Hilton and Houben.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
@PuckStop75

I see our best line in 25/26 as

Barlas Foster Kelly
Yanni Whithead and Korbler
Houben/Hilton Amidovski

I think that the question will be if we get players what do we get and what position do they play

I am worried about our defence

Marrelli Mews
Dietsch Brady

Bonomo Eshkawkogan

Nelson
Petrova

Again, a lot will depend on who we get in trades and the draft. It is also going to depend on whether Boyd can stay the course, admit it is going to be a bad year, and not try to make trades to improve the team so that we can try for 4-5 in the playoffs.

Personally, if we miss a year of playoffs, it would not upset me.

I think this year, we as fans should be looking for a team that gives 100% every game and is entertaining.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Switzerland win 5-2

Koerbler K. 1-1- -2- - - 13:16

Canada win 6-0

Marrelli - - - 1-2- - - 13:34

Mews - - - 2-3 - - - 16:19

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I have a feeling that Korbler has had a taste of the OHL and he has seen from guys like Pinell, Mews and Marrelli what the draft is all about.

He has probably been talking to scouts who have told him what he needs to do.

I expect him to come back bigger, stronger, and more ready to step in next year. Will he be a Rossi? Who knows, but I think there is a lot of growth. Also, remember that previous Euro draft picks came to a team that was already stacked.
I still think one of our best lines is going to be Whitehead Korbler and either Hilton or Yanni,

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
One of the downsides that I am thinking about is that it seems that DC does not want to play his rookies and give them the ice time for confidence.

When we consider the number of hurt players we had against Oshawa the fact that he dressed them instead of young guys tht wanted to play scares me and as a parent, it would make me wonder if this is the team for my son to come to develop and get noticed.

Kingston does the same thing and players have said no thanks.

Last year, we lost HB because he was going to get limited ice time. I wonder if this is going to happen again.

If I were Whitehead, I would be thinking about a trade to a team that wants me, not one that sits me.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I have a feeling that Korbler has had a taste of the OHL and he has seen from guys like Pinell, Mews and Marrelli what the draft is all about.

He has probably been talking to scouts who have told him what he needs to do.

I expect him to come back bigger, stronger, and more ready to step in next year. Will he be a Rossi? Who knows, but I think there is a lot of growth. Also, remember that previous Euro draft picks came to a team that was already stacked.

The Korbler situation (or Uronen) isn’t necessarily about the individual player, it is about team construction. Even if Korbler and Uronen come back and contribute at a reasonably solid level, they still logjam the wings. Neither play a premium position (Centre/Defence), and this current team, even with prospects, do not have enough centres let alone capable centres. They will get the 33rd pick in the Import draft. That is an opportunity to draft a premium position player where we lack depth at. We have more than enough wingers, especially if we want to inject some size and give a couple of the bigger young players like Hilton and Houben some reasonable ice time to get them going.

Korbler could come back next year and score 20 goals and 30 assist for 50 points as the #1RW. Great. But, what good is that if we have guys playing centre that are overmatched at the #2 and #3 centre positions?

To me, “IF” the 67’s European contacts identify a player that is a solid centre that they feel can transition to the CHL and would play in Ottawa, I think they need to release one of the Imports and jump on that player. Personally, I would keep Uronen. If this is a rebuild year then Uronen would age out and we’d get a relatively high Import pick again next year to replace him. Of course, if the 67’s don’t have someone lined up in the Import draft that plays a premium position, then I agree keeping both is ideal BUT, I would look to trade one of them early and open the doors for a younger player to get an opportunity.

Regarding the younger players, if this is a rebuild/reset year then the younger players will get ice time so I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The Korbler situation (or Uronen) isn’t necessarily about the individual player, it is about team construction. Even if Korbler and Uronen come back and contribute at a reasonably solid level, they still logjam the wings. Neither play a premium position (Centre/Defence), and this current team, even with prospects, do not have enough centres let alone capable centres. They will get the 33rd pick in the Import draft. That is an opportunity to draft a premium position player where we lack depth at. We have more than enough wingers, especially if we want to inject some size and give a couple of the bigger young players like Hilton and Houben some reasonable ice time to get them going.

Korbler could come back next year and score 20 goals and 30 assist for 50 points as the #1RW. Great. But, what good is that if we have guys playing centre that are overmatched at the #2 and #3 centre positions?

To me, “IF” the 67’s European contacts identify a player that is a solid centre that they feel can transition to the CHL and would play in Ottawa, I think they need to release one of the Imports and jump on that player. Personally, I would keep Uronen. If this is a rebuild year then Uronen would age out and we’d get a relatively high Import pick again next year to replace him. Of course, if the 67’s don’t have someone lined up in the Import draft that plays a premium position, then I agree keeping both is ideal BUT, I would look to trade one of them early and open the doors for a younger player to get an opportunity.

Regarding the younger players, if this is a rebuild/reset year then the younger players will get ice time so I wouldn’t worry about it too much.
Uronen

The big question is, does he want to play in the OHL on a developing team or play in Liga, where he can develop against adults as well as make money? Also, if he isn't offered a contract, we have to think that he is not going to make it.

We only have 4 returning RW ( I discount Uronen), and for development and scoring, I see only Korbler. Deveer and Kelly haven't shown anything.

I think we are going to have an issue with Centers no matter what this year and probably next year. BUT we have to play the players we have and get them the ice time no matter the cost.

In order to get Amidovski I can see him playing 3rd/4h line minutes.

Whitehead has to be guaranteed at least 3rd line minutes or be traded.

start season
Gardiner
Foster/Barlas
Whitehead
Amidovski

After the deadline
Gardiner
Whitehead
Amidovski

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Uronen

The big question is, does he want to play in the OHL on a developing team or play in Liga, where he can develop against adults as well as make money? Also, if he isn't offered a contract, we have to think that he is not going to make it.

We only have 4 returning RW ( I discount Uronen), and for development and scoring, I see only Korbler. Deveer and Kelly haven't shown anything.

I think we are going to have an issue with Centers no matter what this year and probably next year. BUT we have to play the players we have and get them the ice time no matter the cost.

In order to get Amidovski I can see him playing 3rd/4h line minutes.

Whitehead has to be guaranteed at least 3rd line minutes or be traded.

start season
Gardiner
Foster/Barlas
Whitehead
Amidovski

After the deadline
Gardiner
Whitehead
Amidovski

So, add an Import centre…………..

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
So, add an Import centre…………..
As long as he is not going to fill the 2nd line. If not, then no, we do not need a center. They need to make sure that Whitehead and Amidovski are going to get the ice time that they should bet instead of playing jr b or getting treated like crap.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
One of the downsides that I am thinking about is that it seems that DC does not want to play his rookies and give them the ice time for confidence.

When we consider the number of hurt players we had against Oshawa the fact that he dressed them instead of young guys tht wanted to play scares me and as a parent, it would make me wonder if this is the team for my son to come to develop and get noticed.

Kingston does the same thing and players have said no thanks.

Last year, we lost HB because he was going to get limited ice time. I wonder if this is going to happen again.

If I were Whitehead, I would be thinking about a trade to a team that wants me, not one that sits me.
The ‘67s lost HB because he would only get limited ice time? He went to London to get virtually no TOI.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad