Ottawa 67's 2015 Off-Season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Well after a turnaround year time to plan for next year
1-who do we draft,what do we need?
2-OA's who do we keep?
3-What do we go for in the import draft?
4-trades-does Patti make moves this summer?

Thoughts,rumors...have fun:):)

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
If the Sens draft Travis I could see them keeping him with the 67s all of next year they have to many young players right now and not enough spots.

Dogger

Aug 16, 2013
Well after a turnaround year time to plan for next year
1-who do we draft,what do we need?
2-OA's who do we keep?
3-What do we go for in the import draft?
4-trades-does Patti make moves this summer?

Thoughts,rumors...have fun:):)

Answers to your questions:

1.The draft doesn't appear to be heavy with defensemen so I see them drafting a forward who can score in the 1st round.
2. From what we saw most of the year and in the playoffs its obvious to me they will start the season with Todd, Studnicka, Guy & deHaan. One of them will be moved at some point.
3. 1D and 1F in the import draft.
4. I'm sure Higgins will attempt to get something for some of his overagers in the summer, try and get a 19 year old d and more depth at the forward position.

Commenting on the playoff series, more consistent goaltending from Herbst would have helped, too many weak goals throughout the 6 games. No depth at the forward position, when injuries hit they had to play 2 defensemen as forwards even though they had McDonald healthy in the stands, shows you what they think of him. Higgins had an overage card he didn't use and a glut of d he could have done something with at the deadline to get another forward.
Overall they played well, 2 bad games and 2 games, 4 and 6, where they could not get a bounce their way.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
1) Would think that we would draft the best available Defenceman in the first round. I'd love to see them pick Ian Blacker, the brother of draft pick goaltender Ian Blacker. They both have college hockey commitments, but I would wonder if the allure of Ian developing under HCJB might be too much to pass up. Additionally, it would allow the 67's to deal one of their other Goalies to shore up depth somewhere else. By the sounds of recent quotes, I think that they'll look to grab a Defenceman in the euro draft as well.

2) From recent articles, it sounds like Todd and Studnicka are locks and they'll have to decide among the eligible D. I liked the earlier idea of keeping Guy and de Haan to start the year along with the two forwards. This way, they are insured against an injury or a surprise.

3) I think they'll look for a solid D in the first round and a scoring winger in the second. It's really too bad that Tyanulin quit on the team this year. There were some really good players picked right after the 67's pick- Filip Chlapik and Dennis Yan are both touted '97 point a game players. With Pat Higgins' deft touch, it's too bad he wasn't in charge of the pick last year.

4) They've tabbed Herbst as the starter. While Leo the Lion is a very entertaining player and showed great promise when he got full time duty during Herbst's mid-season injury absence you would have to think that he wants to be a starter. The guy's whole family moved from Russia two years ago to get around the Import goalie rule, and while this is a pure guess on my end, I would think they didn't make a move like that for 20 games a year. Maybe a team like Windsor can give him the time he needs? Olivier Lafreniere is a touted option to come up as a backup behind Herbst in case of a deal.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Goaltending - If we can find a taker for Herbst and get a 2nd round pick back, I would jump on it. He's not a good goalie. He is a big body but he has tremendous difficulty guiding rebounds into corners and when it hits he, he rarely swallows it. Too many rebounds out front that he can't cover. He had the luxury this year of playing in front of an older and more experienced defense that was clearing his rebounds. Good luck with that next year. He won't have that luxury.

Defense - I'd give Guy the nod as the 3rd OA over DeHaan. Although, as I mentioned late in the season, you keep both with Studnicka and Todd and work it out based on need when they have more demonstrated info into November.

Forward - We should be ok up front. Guys will be a year older and more experienced.

Draft and Import - I disagree with draftng based on need. A 16 year old picked in the back half of the 1st round will probably not make a huge impact right away so picking a D-Man because we are short this year doesn't make sense. Always pick best available ad find the spot for him. We may be able to target better with the Import draft. This year I would probably try to get a more experienced payer as an 18 or 19 year old. Because we are drafting later, I would look to see if we could swap for an existing known quantity Import D-Man like we did with Cajkovsky. The problem with the Imports is you never know if they can make the transition. We've seen that many times in the past. I'd rather trade for a known quantity.

Trades - Obviously we have some OA candidates that would fi in on other teams. Take the picks you can get and use those picks to fill projected holes. I think Higgins is savvy enough to fit the puzzle pieces together. Even if he is not able to, I think Brown has demonstrated he has the ability to work with the players he is given and gets the best out of them so either way, I'm not all that worried.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Goaltending - If we can find a taker for Herbst and get a 2nd round pick back, I would jump on it. He's not a good goalie. He is a big body but he has tremendous difficulty guiding rebounds into corners and when it hits he, he rarely swallows it. Too many rebounds out front that he can't cover. He had the luxury this year of playing in front of an older and more experienced defense that was clearing his rebounds. Good luck with that next year. He won't have that luxury.

Defense - I'd give Guy the nod as the 3rd OA over DeHaan. Although, as I mentioned late in the season, you keep both with Studnicka and Todd and work it out based on need when they have more demonstrated info into November.

Forward - We should be ok up front. Guys will be a year older and more experienced.

Draft and Import - I disagree with draftng based on need. A 16 year old picked in the back half of the 1st round will probably not make a huge impact right away so picking a D-Man because we are short this year doesn't make sense. Always pick best available ad find the spot for him. We may be able to target better with the Import draft. This year I would probably try to get a more experienced payer as an 18 or 19 year old. Because we are drafting later, I would look to see if we could swap for an existing known quantity Import D-Man like we did with Cajkovsky. The problem with the Imports is you never know if they can make the transition. We've seen that many times in the past. I'd rather trade for a known quantity.

Trades - Obviously we have some OA candidates that would fi in on other teams. Take the picks you can get and use those picks to fill projected holes. I think Higgins is savvy enough to fit the puzzle pieces together. Even if he is not able to, I think Brown has demonstrated he has the ability to work with the players he is given and gets the best out of them so either way, I'm not all that worried.
Agree that you pick the best player available in the first round, if its a D so be it. You can pick for need later. Besides from what I'm reading the draft is a forward heavy one for the top guys, but there are apparently a lot of good D-men rated in the 20-50 range so you can get them later. You just need to pick the right one which has not been our forte in the second round. I think we're getting a forward in the first round some rumors about Hawel and Studnicka from what I've read.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
In respect to goaltending I'm a bit torn. I think Lazarev has potential and had a great run when Herbst was injured. He's quick, agressive and has better rebound control than Herbst but he's a small goalie. This is a bigger factor than 10 yrs ago as all the kids have better shots due to conditionning and those godawful composite sticks. So its no accident the best goalies in the nhl are big let the puck it me goalies as the reaction time they have is much shorter. The thing that worries me about Herbst is not his rebound control but the fact I did not see that aspect of his game improve as the year went by. That being said a year is huge for junior goalies and hopefully good coaching will solve that. Finally I agree with Saltythat one gets moved by the trade deadline to bring in Lafreniere.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Well from the mock drafts I've seen 3 names come up
Studnicka
Webb
Hawel
Who will it be? Anyone?
My guess is Hawel local kid who apparently has lots of upside. Can't wait for tomorrow to see the new 67's.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Well from the mock drafts I've seen 3 names come up
Studnicka
Webb
Hawel
Who will it be? Anyone?
My guess is Hawel local kid who apparently has lots of upside. Can't wait for tomorrow to see the new 67's.

From what I've been reading, they have no idea who will be there! Apparently beyond the top 5, there is no consensus. It would be good to get a high quality defenceman for sure, but I agree with the earlier posts that in the first they need to take the BPA.

sfan

Jun 26, 2013
Ottawa
http://m.ottawasun.com/2015/04/10/who-will-the-ottawa-67s-pick
FWIW Higgins says " best available " and implies that, all other things equal, he likes local kids. Of course best available can be very subjective and unreliable the deeper into the draft they go.

There has been some interesting historical stat work done for the NHL draft. For forwards, as simple as it sounds, taking the next best available based only on PPG seems to be more predictive of NHL success than human scouting.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
2nd pick
Noel Hoefenmayer Left Defence North York, Ont. 6.00.25 178 Don Mills 1999-01-06
3rd pick
Hudson Wilson Left Defence Toronto, Ont. 6.01.25 171 Vaughan 1999-05-03
4th pick
Corey Andonovski Right Wing Uxbridge, Ont. 5.10.75 166 York Simcoe 1999-03-26
5th pick
Ottawa Marcel Berube Centre London, Ont. 6.00 188 London 1999-12-14
6th pick
Kody Clark Right Wing Aurora, Ont. 5.09.5 143 Toronto Marlboros 1999-10-13
7th pick
NONE
8th pick
Ben Evans Centre Thorold, Ont. 5.11.75 185 Southern Tier 1999-01-16
9th pick
Erik Ross Right Defence Ottawa, Ont. 6.01 192 Ottawa 67's 1999-01-20
10th pick
Matthew Prucha Right Defence Wasaga Beach, Ont. 5.11 173 North Central 1999-02-24
11th pick
Jacob Smith Goaltender Petawawa, Ont. 6.00.5 161 Ottawa Valley 1999-05-28
12th pick
Thomas Miller Right Defence West Bloomfield, MI 6.00.5 164 Victory Honda 1999-03-06
13th pick
Jake Robinson Centre Thunder Bay, Ont. 5.10.5 175 TB Kings 1999-03-13
14th pick
Charlie Dovorany Centre Wausau, WI 5.09 156 Shattuck St-Mary's (U16) 1999-03-10
15th pick
NONE

Last edited:

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
2nd pick
3rd pick
4th pick
5th pick
6th pick
7th pick
NONE
8th pick
9th pick
10th pick
Matthew Prucha Right Defence Wasaga Beach, Ont. 5.11 173 North Central 1999-02-24
11th pick
12th pick
Thomas Miller Right Defence West Bloomfield, MI 6.00.5 164 Victory Honda 1999-03-06
13th pick
14th pick
15th pick
NONE

I like the draft, from what I've read about the team's picks. Glad to see another scorer join the fray and the two young D will hopefully be pillars for the foreseeable future. Hoping that a couple late round picks pan out. Kody Clark is the son of Wendel, let's hope he plays a similar style!

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
2nd pick
3rd pick
4th pick
5th pick
6th pick
7th pick
NONE
8th pick
9th pick
10th pick
11th pick
12th pick
13th pick
14th pick
15th pick
NONE
I must admit having seen none of these guys that at this point I have no clue if this is a good draft or not. However based on what I've seen in the past year from Patty down I'm quite willing to give the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully we get back to the 95-2008 years when our scouts got good value in the later rounds, a hallmark of the Kilrea era when we rarely had high picks. What killed us since about 2009-2012 is not hitting on our 2nd,3rd,4th round picks which killed our depth. Generally picking in the first round is easy and Ottawa's been better than most...Toffoly 6th, Ceci 16th, Monaghan 17th (approximatly I'm going from memory). Now we need to be better from round 2-5.

sfan

Jun 26, 2013
Ottawa
Here's a handy link to the 67s draft history:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/draft_by_team_other.php?type=OHL Priority Selection&TeamID=702

I must admit having seen none of these guys that at this point I have no clue if this is a good draft or not. However based on what I've seen in the past year from Patty down I'm quite willing to give the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully we get back to the 95-2008 years when our scouts got good value in the later rounds, a hallmark of the Kilrea era when we rarely had high picks. What killed us since about 2009-2012 is not hitting on our 2nd,3rd,4th round picks which killed our depth. Generally picking in the first round is easy and Ottawa's been better than most...Toffoly 6th, Ceci 16th, Monaghan 17th (approximatly I'm going from memory). Now we need to be better from round 2-5.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Lintuniemi's first game for Manchester Monarch's AHL

1. MCH Miller, (19) (Lintuniemi, Dowd), 1:23

40 Lintuniemi, Alex D 0 1 +1 1 0

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Any |Ottawa fans surprised of the recent play of former 67 Petr Mrazek?

Considering he may have been the best goalie to come out of Ottawa since Kevin Weekes? Nope. I am just surprised how long it took him to get an opportunity.

sfan

Jun 26, 2013
Ottawa
ICYMI: Last Friday, in his third year in the league SSM's Sheldon Keefe was selected the OHL's coach of the year. Jeff Brown was voted second. From the announcement:
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/article/keefe-named-ohl-coach-of-the-year/166223
"The Matt Leyden Trophy is voted on by the member teams of the Ontario Hockey League. In a first round of balloting, teams vote for the top coaches, within their own conference. The top three nominees from both the Eastern and Western conferences are declared as finalists. A second round of voting is then conducted on a league wide basis where teams vote for any of the six finalists. At no time during the voting can a team vote for their own candidate. Coaches receive five points for a first place vote, three points for a second place vote and one point for a third place vote.

Keefe finished first in the voting process with 55 points, ahead of first year head coach Jeff Brown of the Ottawa 67’s who received 46 voting points, and last year’s recipient D.J Smith of the Oshawa Generals who finished third in voting with 38 points."

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
ICYMI: Last Friday, in his third year in the league SSM's Sheldon Keefe was selected the OHL's coach of the year. Jeff Brown was voted second. From the announcement:
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/article/keefe-named-ohl-coach-of-the-year/166223
"The Matt Leyden Trophy is voted on by the member teams of the Ontario Hockey League. In a first round of balloting, teams vote for the top coaches, within their own conference. The top three nominees from both the Eastern and Western conferences are declared as finalists. A second round of voting is then conducted on a league wide basis where teams vote for any of the six finalists. At no time during the voting can a team vote for their own candidate. Coaches receive five points for a first place vote, three points for a second place vote and one point for a third place vote.

Keefe finished first in the voting process with 55 points, ahead of first year head coach Jeff Brown of the Ottawa 67’s who received 46 voting points, and last year’s recipient D.J Smith of the Oshawa Generals who finished third in voting with 38 points."

Can't argue with Keefe, he's done a great job since arriving in the Soo. But Brown would have been a great choice also, the progression of most players under his tutelage was amazing. I get the feeling he'll be coach of the year before too long.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Can't argue with Keefe, he's done a great job since arriving in the Soo. But Brown would have been a great choice also, the progression of most players under his tutelage was amazing. I get the feeling he'll be coach of the year before too long.

I get the feeling that he will be gone from this League soon. I highly doubt he is here 3 years from now unless he only leaves for an NHL head coach job. If he were willing to leave for a NHL assistant or AHL Head coach job, I don't see him here after next season.

I think Keefe is probably gone this offseason and DJ Smith is probably gone this off season too.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I get the feeling that he will be gone from this League soon. I highly doubt he is here 3 years from now unless he only leaves for an NHL head coach job. If he were willing to leave for a NHL assistant or AHL Head coach job, I don't see him here after next season.

I think Keefe is probably gone this offseason and DJ Smith is probably gone this off season too.

Selfishly I hope you're wrong as I'm hoping he's here for at least a full cycle. Guess it depends on his goals, he did say this was his dream job and he's an Ottawa boy. Also quite different to coach pros where the my way or else approach might not work as well. Some coaches are just better suited to junior ( not saying that's Brown's case).
I agree with you though he probably turned some heads this year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Selfishly I hope you're wrong as I'm hoping he's here for at least a full cycle. Guess it depends on his goals, he did say this was his dream job and he's an Ottawa boy. Also quite different to coach pros where the my way or else approach might not work as well. Some coaches are just better suited to junior ( not saying that's Brown's case).
I agree with you though he probably turned some heads this year.

I disagree with the "my way or the hiway" approach. I don't feel that is the case at all. I think there is a right way and a wrong way. He was trying to teach the right way. The principles he was trying to lay a foundation on were based on hard work and discipline. He allowed players with talent to use their skills and those with less talent to play within their abilities. I think Killer had much the same aproach.

We both know that this aproach may not be welcomed in the NHL by some players but it is welcomed by those that want to win. It is easier to jettison out those that don't want to conform in the OHL as opposed to trying to jettison multi-million dollar contracts. I am pretty sure Hunter lost the Ovechkin battle, so you are definitly correct there.

In the end, it is all about buy in. Player character is the number one determinator of player buy in. Those that have character, buy in. Those that don't, sulk and perform poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad