Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] Sens re-sign Cody Ceci (2 years, $2.8M AAV)

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Great deal but risky. I like Ceci and think they would have been better served to go 5milX6yrs. Now I think Ceci will play great and get 7+ on his next deal.

They likely don't have the budget space to go 5Mx6.

This deal is good for Ottawa. It helps them keep the team stable salary wise for the next two seasons. The only major raise coming up is Pageau who'll be covered by Smith and Neil leaving. White hopefully signs his ELC next year and helps offset the loss of Smith in the bottom 6 if he is ready.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
They likely don't have the budget space to go 5Mx6.

This deal is good for Ottawa. It helps them keep the team stable salary wise for the next two seasons. The only major raise coming up is Pageau who'll be covered by Smith and Neil leaving. White hopefully signs his ELC next year and helps offset the loss of Smith in the bottom 6 if he is ready.

So Ceci will be an RFA at the end of this deal but will he have arbitration rights?

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
He's in a perfect spot, being paired with Phaneuf - having Karlsson eating up the toughest 25-30 minutes.

The only drawback is that his PP time will be bery limited.

i think boucher is going to try and control karlssons minutes a bit more, save a minute or 2 here or there so we can see him fly more often (due to being fresher)

i do think some extra time is going to open up on the PP for either ceci or wideman

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
That's pretty cheap for a top 4 dman. I know he's had some inconsistancy issues, but a very good deal.

those issues went out the window as soon as he got a competent partner instead of wier/cowen/boro/gryba etc etc

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Very optimistic of you

A 9 point increase, with the additions of:

- Extra year development (He is 22)
- 7 more games played
- Added pp time
- Consistent, actual top 4 D partner

Is very optimistic?

I'm expecting 30-35, but I don't think 35+ is completely over optimistic. Ceci has been an offensive force at every level.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hell of a short term deal for the Sens, I just wonder how much he'll command when this deal is up? I wonder what he was asking for longer term? Regardless, awesome deal for the next 2 seasons.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
A 9 point increase, with the additions of:

- Extra year development (He is 22)
- 7 more games played
- Added pp time
- Consistent, actual top 4 D partner

Is very optimistic?

I'm expecting 30-35, but I don't think 35+ is completely over optimistic. Ceci has been an offensive force at every level.

Talking more about the 50 points

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Ceci's ice time and point totals will always be deflated since he plays behind Karlsson. Unless Boucher makes a big change, he barely gets PP time. Karl also plays the most minutes out of any defender in the league (or close to it) and being a righty, Ceci loses ice time as a result of this.

Combine that with him being a local boy. There's a good chance Ottawa puts themselves in a position to sign Ceci for close to what it would have taken to sign him 6 years on this deal. Look at what Barrie just got and he is one of the most productive RDs in the league. It won't be easy, and they'll flirt with or go to arb, but there is a good chance Ottawa can get Ceci on a 3-4 year deal the next contract for less than 5M.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Great deal but risky. I like Ceci and think they would have been better served to go 5milX6yrs. Now I think Ceci will play great and get 7+ on his next deal.

Kind of funny that you call this risky when despite Ceci's potential, the deal you propose would be a greater risk.

Hine82

May 28, 2011
Winnipeg
Kind of funny that you call this risky when despite Ceci's potential, the deal you propose would be a greater risk.

I think he means it is risky in that the next deal could end up being massive (ie Subban) instead of getting a long term deal now at a lower aav.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
I think he means it is risky in that the next deal could end up being massive (ie Subban) instead of getting a long term deal now at a lower aav.

Oh I completely know what he means by that, there was nothing lost in translation. I think Cowen's development made us more cautious with Ceci's bridge. Can't just rain tenners on every defenceman with potential.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Honestly with Karlsson and cecil if he becomes legit.

That means if the #6 is playing on the bottom pairing then the sens can minimize his hours

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Looks like a typical bridge deal, calculated gamble tho to be sure not locking him up long term at a reasonable (ish) rate.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Oh I completely know what he means by that, there was nothing lost in translation. I think Cowen's development made us more cautious with Ceci's bridge. Can't just rain tenners on every defenceman with potential.

The two aren't comparable though...cowen and ceci are nothing alike.

It's like being disappointed in how a bottom 6 UFA signing turned out so you stopped looking at top 6 UFA options...because they're both forwards, and both would be acquired the same way. It doesn't make any sense.

Their styles are different. Their question marks are different. Their playing ability is different. Their ability to skate is different. Their ability to think the game is different.

The comparison flat out makes no sense. Should we be cautious with signing karlsson to a long term deal because he too, like cowen is a defenseman and drafted by Ottawa? Or should we look at greater details than that, such as the things i mentioned above. Potential, playing ability, type of player, etc.

It's like Ottawa having last year's 1st overall and not taking mcdavid because we weren't happy how daigle turned out.

Every situation is different and needs to be treated differently. Especially two very different players like big slow cowen vs a guy who looks like a doughty-lite out there

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
So in 2-3 years the Sens are gonna have to resign Karlsson, Turris, Brassard, Stone and Ceci. That's gonna be tough.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Nice Bridge deal... He will have arbitration rights and will be an RFA for 2 more years when the contract is up.

Sens can still afford to improve the bottom pair

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad