Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] Sens re-sign Cody Ceci (2 years, $2.8M AAV)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
That's why I mentioned when it was signed.

There's still inflation when it comes to contracts.

Karlsson is making 6.5M a year but that deal was signed years ago.

People around here insist on comparing current contracts with past contracts without taking the cap into account.

CF even provides the Cap hit % of the cap ceiling when the contract was signed to make it easy. So for Karlsson, the same percentage under the current cap would be $7.38 million.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/erik-karlsson

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Phaneuf on the 2nd pair was really good for the Sens and Ceci.

Ceci had terrible partners prior to Phaneuf. You could see a marked improvement in Ceci's game with the arrival of Phaneuf.

Yup. That's where I thought Phaneuf should have been played. I know a lot of Leaf fans hated him but I found Phaneuf pretty consistent. Was he playing over his head and over paid? Sure but those things weren't his fault.

Is Ottawa using Phaneuf and Ceci together on the PP?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yup. That's where I thought Phaneuf should have been played. I know a lot of Leaf fans hated him but I found Phaneuf pretty consistent. Was he playing over his head and over paid? Sure but those things weren't his fault.

Is Ottawa using Phaneuf and Ceci together on the PP?

Not yet; Ceci hasn't got much PP time.

Last year Karlsson played the right side for very close to 100% of the PPs and for all 2 minutes (or less).
Phaneuf did get PP time on the left side when he arrived. Hoffman like's that spot as well so it will be interesting to see how that plays out this year.

The smaller market suits Phaneuf.

Last edited:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Ceci is really underrated. He's got potential to become a top pairing D, and is already a solid top 4. He can shoot, he can skate, he can pass, he can defend. And he's still getting better.

Look for him to put up around 35-40 points next year.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Ceci is really underrated. He's got potential to become a top pairing D, and is already a solid top 4. He can shoot, he can skate, he can pass, he can defend. And he's still getting better.

Look for him to put up around 35-40 points next year.

I think 40 is pushing it.

Assuming Karlsson and Phaneuf are out top 2 in scoring (Dmen), it's unlikely the 3rd guy (Ceci) gets 40 points.

In the last decade, the only 3rd Dman (in terms of scoring) I can think of that hit 40+ points was Kronwall 6 or 7 years ago when him, Lidstrom, and Rafalski all got 50-something points each. Even Ekholm last year only got 35, and he's better than Ceci.

My expectation is 30-35. Not a huge difference I guess.

JuniorNoboa

Jun 4, 2007
Another overrated and overpaid Ottawa defenceman. Weircoch, Cowan now Ceci. And they traded for one in Dion.

The downward slide will continue this year and accelerate fairly rapidly in the year after that due to continued wreckless and poor decision making by an overwhelmed front office.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Another overrated and overpaid Ottawa defenceman. Weircoch, Cowan now Ceci. And they traded for one in Dion.

The downward slide will continue this year and accelerate fairly rapidly in the year after that due to continued wreckless and poor decision making by an overwhelmed front office.

What do you feel would have been a fair contract for Ceci? You have to consider that he plays in Ottawa's top four so if you compare him to other 3/4 dmen around the league the contract is pretty good.

Can you give recent examples of "continued reckless and and poor decision making"?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I see. Well thanks for letting us know. Sour grapes or what.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

can you tell us what other poor decision you see ottawa making in the future?? Would give us sens fans something positive to look forward to

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

1297823483237_ORIGINAL.jpg

Jonathan81

Sep 12, 2011

Don't worry kid, TOR will have another 1st ov rdp next summer, with all the pile of **** we send them :P

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
That's why I mentioned when it was signed.

There's still inflation when it comes to contracts.

Karlsson is making 6.5M a year but that deal was signed years ago.

People around here insist on comparing current contracts with past contracts without taking the cap into account.

Again, it's a good deal, but as a number of posters pointed out, the con side is that he might a hefty raise 2 years from now.

Mind you, if he does, that would be good news for the Sens in the next 2 seasons as it would mean that he would have earned that hefty raise.

Also, $5.6M is 33.3% more than the $4.2 given to Cowen for his first 2 years, while the cap has gone up 13.6% since the 2013-14 season.

Finally you're right that people should discuss cap hits in terms of percentage of the cap. I've seen a few posters do that, but too few. ;)

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa

How much less could he have possibly gotten?? You don't even believe you at this point.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Again, it's a good deal, but as a number of posters pointed out, the con side is that he might a hefty raise 2 years from now.

Mind you, if he does, that would be good news for the Sens in the next 2 seasons as it would mean that he would have earned that hefty raise.

Also, $5.6M is 33.3% more than the $4.2 given to Cowen for his first 2 years, while the cap has gone up 13.6% since the 2013-14 season.

Finally you're right that people should discuss cap hits in terms of percentage of the cap. I've seen a few posters do that, but too few. ;)

It's a bit of a gamble but I don't think Ceci has shown enough to date to warrant the long deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad