News Article: Ott receives max fine for spear on Chara

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
It didn't take long for things to get contentious between the Boston Bruins and Detroit Red Wings during Saturday night's divisional tilt. Within the first 30 seconds of the game, Red Wings agitator Steve Ott and Bruins captain Zdeno Chara were tangled up and nearly came to blows.

It was what the referees didn't see that led to the altercation, and while the men in stripes missed it the cameras didn't. The NHL's Department of Player Safety announced Sunday that Ott has been fined $2,222.22, the maximum allowable under the collective bargaining agreement, for spearing Chara.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/r...ves-max-fine-for-spearing-bruins-zdeno-chara/

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
Chump change for these guys. Should be 5 and a game. Hit them where it matters.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Not a fan of crap like that. Has no place in the game. Agree with the calls for actual suspensions.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
You can't really suspend Ott for something like that if you don't suspend Marchand and Lucic for the same ****. Worse spears actually.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
You can't really suspend Ott for something like that if you don't suspend Marchand and Lucic for the same ****. Worse spears actually.

True.

All three should be suspended.

It's crazy that players are getting suspended for what is by the rules a clean hit but you spear a guy in the nards, which is a non-hockey play and an obvious attempt to injure, and it's just "boys will be boys."

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

True.

All three should be suspended.

It's crazy that players are getting suspended for what is by the rules a clean hit but you spear a guy in the nards, which is a non-hockey play and an obvious attempt to injure, and it's just "boys will be boys."

And we're getting to the heart of the #1 issue and criticism of the NHL discipline: inconsistency!

Fans are fine with suspensions and punishments to their teams as long as they are upheld universally and with transparency. Now, as for players, well, I assume it's the players union and all the former players on the disciplinary committee that muddy the waters and why it feels like a roulette from decision to decision.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
Very much dislike Steve Ott. Still dislike the signing, still do not understand it. Garbage player, garbage play.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The Hockey News calls our 4th line the OMG line.

“The OMG Line?†you may ask. It’s the acronym for the guys that are on it and it also perfectly describes their play. For example, “OMG why can’t we get the puck out of our zone.†Or “OMG we waived two promising young players for this.†Or “OMG why did you do that. Or “OMG that shift was a disaster.†Or “OMG seriously how is the puck still in our zone.†But mostly it’s “OMG why are all three of these guys on the ice together at the same time.†The name is extremely versatile in describing their ability.

On their first night together they didn’t disappoint, going -13 in shot attempts in just six minutes of five-on-five ice time. I didn’t think it was possible to be that bad in such a short period of time, but they proved me wrong. The trio was immediately broken up for the next game, but injuries forced Ott back into the lineup and they’ve been inseparable ever since.

RedWingsDad

Jul 30, 2013
I thought that was pretty awesome of Ott - good to see someone man up and show some fire and passion. :handclap:

To the hyperbole masters... this was not a spear in the testicles.. but a stick jab to the side if I re-call correctly.. hardly a fatal blow.

Go Ott, keep up the good work, but don't get caught on ice! I'm happy the max fine is relatively low.

Last edited:

RedWingsDad

Jul 30, 2013
Using your stick as a weapon is the farthest thing from "manning up" I can think of.

Thus belaboring the point that you and I think very differently.

I like more feistiness, fighting, passion and all around grit in my hockey. I am not a fan of the euro passivity that has pervaded our team since McCarty, Draper, Maltby, Chelios, etc... departed, so I am very happy that we brought in a player like Ott that resonates the qualities I like.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

I like more feistiness, fighting, passion and all around grit in my hockey. I am not a fan of the euro passivity that has pervaded our team since McCarty, Draper, Maltby, Chelios, etc... departed, so I am very happy that we brought in a player like Ott that resonates the qualities I like.

I'm all for more toughness and passion from the team but Ott is a rat that strikes fear into the hearts of exactly no one.

It's another token effort by Holland, much like signing Tootoo. "See I made the team tougher! I signed a guy who spears players in the nuts!"

This team needs more actual toughness, not a 4th line rat who plays 9 minutes a night when he's not a healthy scratch.

Specifically I wish we had more physical d-men who didn't have that "euro passivity." Guys who play like Ericsson has this season. Or Fischer and Vladdy used to.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar

Advocating spearing is just pathetic...using your stick as a weapon is as far from "toughness" as the Star Wars prequels are from being well directed.

RedWingsDad

Jul 30, 2013
I wouldn't be surprised if Ott was aware of Chara's snub of Smith a few playoffs ago, where he was laughing in Smith's face and holding him at arms length while Smith was trying to fight him... I know I thought of that when Ott jabbed him in the side with his stick :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad