Confirmed with Link: [OTT/MTL] Jakov Novak for future considerations

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Not a fan of giving away a future consideration like that.

After acquiring a few Future Considerations (McNiven for Futures + Monahan for Futures), Habs can afford to give some away.

Asset management 101.

Wasn't he already invited to the Habs camp prior to this trade? That is odd

Invited to Rookie Camp. Expectation is he will be at main camp. In fact, there are always 3 groups at main camp, one of them being mostly Laval-bound guys. So he would have been at camp for sure.

It is a weird one. But at the same time, meh.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The most likely explanation appears simple to me:

The NHL has transfer agreements with most of the European leagues, where the NHL has negotiated a set fee to release a Player from their current League contract so they can then sign a NHL contract. If a Player is drafted from a league/federation without a NHL transfer agreement (e.g. KHL/MHL) then the Player is treated as a “Defected Player” [CBA 10.2(b)]. Teams retain the draft rights to Defected Players for an indefinite period of time. You can see this with the other indefinite players listed on CapFriendly’s Montreal Reserve List being from the KHL.

The same indefinite draft rights extension applies to any Player who signs with a league/federation not having a Transfer Agreement with the NHL. Player who were drafted from outside the KHL/MHL, but later sign with the KHL before their draft rights expire have their draft rights extended indefinitely. There are many examples of this happening.

Novak’s NHL draft rights being extended is empirical evidence that the AHL does not have a league-wide “NHL Transfer Agreement”.

My conclusion:

Laval (AHL) signed Novak on July 3rd 2023, before Ottawa’s NHL draft rights to Novak were scheduled to expire on August 15th 2023. Hence Ottawa‘s NHL rights to Novak were extended indefinitely.

As a weird corollary, Montreals draft rights to Novak might also extend indefinitely so long as he remains under contract with Laval or any other team/league without a Transfer Agreement. It’s not clear whether the Canadiens owning/controlling the Laval Rocket rises to the level where Novak would no longer be considered a Defected Player.

He was drafted out of the NAHL in 2018, but if they don't have a transfer agreement then I guess that sort of makes sense. The problem to me is it's in the CBA that NCAA players rights expire, so treating them as a defected player means that teams could sign them to AHL deals and then would hold their rights indefinitely? That sounds counter intuitive for what the NHLPA would want no?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
After acquiring a few Future Considerations (McNiven for Futures + Monahan for Futures), Habs can afford to give some away.

Asset management 101.

Invited to Rookie Camp. Expectation is he will be at main camp. In fact, there are always 3 groups at main camp, one of them being mostly Laval-bound guys. So he would have been at camp for sure.

It is a weird one. But at the same time, meh.
Money of the Realm. :laugh:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
He was drafted out of the NAHL in 2018, but if they don't have a transfer agreement then I guess that sort of makes sense. The problem to me is it's in the CBA that NCAA players rights expire, so treating them as a defected player means that teams could sign them to AHL deals and then would hold their rights indefinitely? That sounds counter intuitive for what the NHLPA would want no?

I agree it's weird. There could be some other wrinkles involved such as whether Novak's AHL contract allows him to freely terminate it to sign a NHL contract with any team. Or there could be some side agreement between the NHL and PA that a player signing a AHL deal with the NHL affiliate holding his draft rights is not treated as Defected.

The CBA also says European player rights expire, but we know that's not the case for players in leagues/federations without a NHL transfer agreement.

The pattern of rights being held indefinitely is identical to the treatment of Defected Players, making it difficult to come up with some other explanation.

Reactions: montreal

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Hughes probably knows he's a good kid. Played with both his and Marty's sons at Northeastern, as well as Harris and Struble. He's on an AHL deal so he doesn't affect any contract limits and can go down to the ECHL at any point. Hughes probably wants to establish a good culture at the development level as well, and it's easier to have a read on the personality of someone you've probably met a hundred times. He was good enough to get drafted, so he's probably good enough for the ECHL team and can probably fill at the AHL level when injuries and callups happen.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
He's at the rookie camp also.

I remember last year, Gignac was on an AHL contract and he took part in the main camp . And if I'm not mistaken, they've had guys on AHL contracts take part in camp and even get a preseason game. It's very rare, but it's not the first time.

It does seem like a weird one, but I also don't think it's something we need to spend much time on.
Agreed no need to spend time on it. And now I will spend more time on it :)

The issue as I understand it is while he had a AHL contract with Laval- Ottawa still held his NHL rights so could not attend a NHL camp (rookie or otherwise), Ottawa had no plans for him and essentially gave Mtl his NHL rights so player could attend mtl camp. Ottawa doing a favor to a former pick.

• Haha
Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Agreed no need to spend time on it. And now I will spend more time on it :)

The issue as I understand it is while he had a AHL contract with Laval- Ottawa still held his NHL rights so could not attend a NHL camp (rookie or otherwise), Ottawa had no plans for him and essentially gave Mtl his NHL rights so player could attend mtl camp. Ottawa doing a favor to a former pick.

It does make sense that if they want him to participate in any NHL camp (rookie or main), the Habs had to acquire his NHL rights. Because if they didn't do this, he'd only be able to participate in Laval's camp and nothing with the Canadiens.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Wasn't he already invited to the Habs camp prior to this trade? That is odd
Apparently, it just formalizes his position with the Habs as he was already part of the Rockets. I guess Ottawa gave up on him and allowed him to look for a new home, and the Habs opened the door to let him in. The trade is that now he has a key to the new home and can be signed by the Habs. Apparently, he played at some USA college that Hughes is familiar with and so Hughes is familiar with his game.

Reactions: Tyson

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Futures always means I owe you one. I hope HuGo doesn't get fleeced by the Sens next time.

Lavoie said in one of his daily segments on the radio that one time, Habs made a trade with the Panthers, and the Habs sent Future Considerations in that deal. A year later, that future consideration was cashed it when the Panthers played a preseason game in Montreal. And in preseason games, both teams share the revenue. Which is why Habs always had a lot of preseason games, and most of them home. Because other teams wanted to play here to make more $$$.

I found that interesting because for me, Future Considerations was just a way in saying someone is traded for absolutely nothing. It was the first time I heard a Future Consideration cashed in.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Wonderful. A friend of mine sent a text yesterday sayin "The Habs got some jackoff from the Sens".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad