Confirmed with Link: [OTT/MTL] Jakov Novak for future considerations

habsprospects

Nov 24, 2003
Sherbrooke, QC
habsprospects.com
Maybe CF is only basing this on the NHL media site, when we invite players to the camp, sometimes they get added to our roster as player in the system. And for some reason Novak wasnt removed from the Sens "in the system" player on August 15th and was moved to our roster since he is listed on the camp. I remember for at least a year we had Nik Koberstein still listed for us even if he was playing in ECHL and we didnt have his rights anymore.

Right now other than Novak, there are Isaac Dufort, Jan Spunar, Charle Truchon listed and we dont have their rights.

Last edited:

CapFriendly

Mar 13, 2020
Maybe CF is only basing this on the NHL media site, when we invite players to the camp, sometimes they get added to our roster as player in the system. And for some reason Novak wasnt removed from the Sens "in the system" player on August 15th and was moved to our roster since he is listed on the camp. I remember for at least a year we had Nik Koberstein still listed for us even if he was playing in ECHL and we didnt have his rights anymore.

Right now other than Novak, there are Isaac Dufort, Jan Spunar, Charle Truchon listed and we dont have their rights.
Just to clarify, we can confirm this is an actual trade

Reactions: mouser

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Minor trade. Big guy for AHL

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
That doesn't make sense, I don't see why the Habs signing him to an AHL contract extended his NHL rights for a 6th season. That's crazy. Learn something new everyday.
CF weirdly has MTL as having indefinite rights to Novak. There has to be some weird obscure CBA stuff going on.

The most likely explanation appears simple to me:

The NHL has transfer agreements with most of the European leagues, where the NHL has negotiated a set fee to release a Player from their current League contract so they can then sign a NHL contract. If a Player is drafted from a league/federation without a NHL transfer agreement (e.g. KHL/MHL) then the Player is treated as a “Defected Player” [CBA 10.2(b)]. Teams retain the draft rights to Defected Players for an indefinite period of time. You can see this with the other indefinite players listed on CapFriendly’s Montreal Reserve List being from the KHL.

The same indefinite draft rights extension applies to any Player who signs with a league/federation not having a Transfer Agreement with the NHL. Player who were drafted from outside the KHL/MHL, but later sign with the KHL before their draft rights expire have their draft rights extended indefinitely. There are many examples of this happening.

Novak’s NHL draft rights being extended is empirical evidence that the AHL does not have a league-wide “NHL Transfer Agreement”.

My conclusion:

Laval (AHL) signed Novak on July 3rd 2023, before Ottawa’s NHL draft rights to Novak were scheduled to expire on August 15th 2023. Hence Ottawa‘s NHL rights to Novak were extended indefinitely.

As a weird corollary, Montreals draft rights to Novak might also extend indefinitely so long as he remains under contract with Laval or any other team/league without a Transfer Agreement. It’s not clear whether the Canadiens owning/controlling the Laval Rocket rises to the level where Novak would no longer be considered a Defected Player.

Reactions: montreal

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Surprised we used one of our 50 contract slots on Novak. Looking forward to learning more about his potential.

I saw his name on our rookie camp roster earlier in the week so timing of the trade seems off.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Good comment I saw on reddit/habs: "I'm genuinely curious how Kent's trade tendencies will change after he's finished acquiring every single player he has worked with in his pre-GM days or whom his son has played with or against."

Does he count against a contract slot if he has an AHL contract?

I wish him well but I don't like Hughes' lack of imagination (or: nepo-obsessions) and I don't think it bodes well for the future. Time will tell.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Good comment I saw on reddit/habs: "I'm genuinely curious how Kent's trade tendencies will change after he's finished acquiring every single player he has worked with in his pre-GM days or whom his son has played with or against."

Does he count against a contract slot if he has an AHL contract?

I wish him well but I don't like Hughes' lack of imagination (or: nepo-obsessions) and I don't think it bodes well for the future. Time will tell.
Yeah this move might set us back 4 or 5 years. :sarcasm:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I wonder if we will have won a single playoff round by the time Hughes is done recruiting every player his son or him have ever met. Hope so!
That is why this year for me is important in terms of boosted production. We can't continue down the path of spotting 60GF to the top teams in the division.
We can probably cut down GA to around 285 if we stay healthy but it won't amount to much movement in the standings unless we can get the GF up to around 265. That would probably put us around the .500 range. Honestly GA doesn't concern me as much because by the time we approach TDL we will probably be looking at jockeying for lottery positions. Something that seemed to become very popular last season and a trend I think that will continue.

Reactions: Runner77

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
That is why this year for me is important in terms of boosted production. We can't continue down the path of spotting 60GF to the top teams in the division.
We can probably cut down GA to around 285 if we stay healthy but it won't amount to much movement in the standings unless we can get the GF up to around 265. That would probably put us around the .500 range. Honestly GA doesn't concern me as much because by the time we approach TDL we will probably be looking at jockeying for lottery positions. Something that seemed to become very popular last season and a trend I think that will continue.
With a macro-view, I expect to see marked improvements (10%) in both GF and GA just by a regression to normal man-games lost. More consistency and better players (ie top players on the depth chart and not their replacements) should mean better performances on both ends of the ice. Other teams are still better but we will see the Habs nip points left and right if they're at or near full-strength. Last year's second half was a mess and a shame, but it was mostly due to injury -- replacement players brought good energy, veteran players went through the motions.

As for playoff series wins... yeah, we should hope to see the 24-25 season provide some playoff action. As Leafs fans know, it is long, long way to go until a series can be won. We don't have Carey Price to cover our backs.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
Minor trade. Big guy for AHL

So whats the trade?
Not clicking on this rumor mill 50 "news" per hour website. Click on this once and then all your social media feeds are bombarded with this crap

"Le verdict est tombé sur Kaiden Guhle"
*clicks on link*
"Kaiden Guhle préfères les hot dogs. Il n'aime pas les hamburgers. Il jouera sur la premiere paire car cela démontre qu'il est un mâle alpha."
*End of article*.

Not getting bamboozled again.

Last edited:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
So whats the trade?
Not clicking on this rumor mill 50 "news" per hour website. Click on this once and then all your social media feeds are bombarded with this crap

"Le verdict est tombé sur Kaiden Guhle"
*clicks on link*
"Kaiden Guhle préfères les hot dogs. Il n'aime pas les hamburgers. Il jouera sur la premiere paire car cela démontre qu'il est un mâle alpha."
*End of article*.

Not getting bamboozled again.

Novak for future considerations.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Surprised we used one of our 50 contract slots on Novak. Looking forward to learning more about his potential.

I saw his name on our rookie camp roster earlier in the week so timing of the trade seems off.
He's on an AHL/ECHL contract. This trade just makes it so the Habs can sign him if they feel the need to.

And maybe so he's allowed to attend main camp.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
He doesn’t have an NHL contract so he doesn’t count towards the 50 maximum contracts. He’s on the Habs reserve list. Teams can have a maximum 90 players on the reserve list, the Habs have 73 on that list.
May be wrong, I often am, but this move just allows him attend Habs rookie camp and main camp if need be. No impact on 50 contract limit. His AHL only contract with Laval would allow him to attend Laval's camp but not rookie camp with habs.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

He's not a 50 contract slot.

He was signed to an AHL deal this off-season by Laval. What this trade did was basically trade his NHL rights.

Where he counts now is part of the 90 an organization is allowed to have in the NHL, AHL, and prospect pool. And the Habs with Novak have 73/90.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
May be wrong, I often am, but this move just allows him attend Habs rookie camp and main camp if need be. No impact on 50 contract limit. His AHL only contract with Laval would allow him to attend Laval's camp but not rookie camp with habs.

He's at the rookie camp also.

I remember last year, Gignac was on an AHL contract and he took part in the main camp . And if I'm not mistaken, they've had guys on AHL contracts take part in camp and even get a preseason game. It's very rare, but it's not the first time.

It does seem like a weird one, but I also don't think it's something we need to spend much time on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad