Confirmed Trade: [OTT/MIN] Cam Talbot for Filip Gustavsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
If they add Giroux (which seems likely at this point), they have a very deep team in terms of forwards. Enough to make the playoffs IMO. Solidifying the net will go a long way in that regard.

In terms of making the playoffs as is - I will have a better answer in a week or so when the roster is finalized. For now, I do think Talbot gets us a few more points in the standings over GusGus, and that could be the difference between no playoffs and a wildcard spot.

Who are they overtaking? The Atlantic will be tough with TOR/TB/FLA.

Maybe Washington/Boston?

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
just funny heard reaction

talbot has been trash all year long and allowed 16.23 goal overexpected but because he was playing in front a very good defensive team, he was looking good in term of stats " oh what a move from Ottawa, they going hard to reach playoff"

the problem was not goaltending but the defensive group in front...

Dorion has been vocal about adding another top 4 Dman FWIW.
I've been saying Ruuta for a while. Time will tell.

Chabot - ?????
Sanderson - Zub
Holden - Hamonic

That's a solid defensive group if that ????? can be filled properly.

Who are they overtaking? The Atlantic will be tough with TOR/TB/FLA.

Maybe Washington/Boston?

The top 3 is definitely hard to crack if they stay healthy. Those are 3 very very solid teams.

Too many IFs right now to say for sure but I think there's a chance the Sens can beat out WSH and BOS as you mentioned.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
The top 3 is definitely hard to crack if they stay healthy. Those are 3 very very solid teams.

Too many IFs right now to say for sure but I think there's a chance the Sens can beat out WSH and BOS as you mentioned.

That’s the main issue with the Atlantic. I think Ottawa makes the playoffs in the Pacific.

But in the Atlantic you have:

Florida (won the president’s trophy last year, #1 in the NHL)
Toronto (finished #4 in the NHL, only behind all the division winners, ahead the Pacific winner)
Tampa (finished #7 in the NHL, 3 straight Finals and 2 Cups in the last 3 years)

Reactions: KevinRedkey

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Dorion has been vocal about adding another top 4 Dman FWIW.
I've been saying Ruuta for a while. Time will tell.

Chabot - ?????
Sanderson - Zub
Holden - Hamonic

That's a solid defensive group if that ????? can be filled properly.

What i see is 2 top 4 dmen and a lot of depht d

Sanderson will be a very good dmen but i dont expect him to have a top 4 level next season but probably in 23-4 season.

What Ottawa should look like

Chabot-???
????-Zub
Sanderson-Hamonic

With the actual team, i cant see how Ottawa can finish over Boston, Washington, pittsburgh and/or islanders

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Win-Win in my eyes. Sens get a decent goalie that can win them some games and Wild get much needed cap space to help us out of the crunch this season. I think both fanbases should be happy.

Reactions: rynryn

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I like the deal because Gus hasn't looked like he was going to take the reigns anytime soon, and the Sens don't need to worry about the Cap until next year (Talbot will be gone) when Zub, Stutzle, and Debrincat need raises. I'm not super confident in Forsberg, so having Talbot is a good fallback/1A/1B.

That said, with Giroux and potentially Weegar.. they may be in cap trouble next year regardless. Depends how much the cap goes up. We'll see soon enough.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
What i see is 2 top 4 dmen and a lot of depht d

Sanderson will be a very good dmen but i dont expect him to have a top 4 level next season but probably in 23-4 season.

What Ottawa should look like

Chabot-???
????-Zub
Sanderson-Hamonic

With the actual team, i cant see how Ottawa can finish over Boston, Washington, pittsburgh and/or islanders
what do you know about Sanderson?

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I am not justifying anything. My view on the Murry trade is that Dubas could have done a better job. I think he should have got better retention. In this thread I have said that Talbolt is not an upgrade on Murray, it has nothing to do with Dubas. I am a fan. Being a fan is by defintion bias. All I ask is not be a hypocrite. You are also a fan. My GM ( you really mean the Leaf's GM) has taken steps whether backwards of forwards is yet to be seen. You have drawn conclusions and hypocritically say that it is my bias that has controlled my view. Admittly, as a human bias will have some influence, like it does on every humasn on and off the board; it doesn't make decisions for me.

Talbot isn't bad. Just not an upgrade on Murray.
Just a major upgrade statistically.

• Haha
Reactions: Leaf Fans

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
just funny heard reaction

talbot has been trash all year long and allowed 16.23 goal overexpected but because he was playing in front a very good defensive team, he was looking good in term of stats " oh what a move from Ottawa, they going hard to reach playoff"

the problem was not goaltending but the defensive group in front...

Kinda look that way...

Top 5 goalies (min 1000 minutes) with the best D (xGA) in front of them last season:
1. Hill
2. Swayman
3. Elliot
3. Talbot (.911 save%)
5. Ullmark

The 5 goalies (min 1000 minutes) with the worst D (xGA) in front of them last season:

61. Murray (.906 save%)
62. Montembault
63. Allen
64. Vejmelka
65. Korpisalo

I hope Talbot's ready for what Murray had to deal with last season.....

Sometimes goalies just click in new locations too though. One of the hardest positions to judge in pro sports.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
If we ignore the fact that Minnesota's defense is a lot better than Ottawa, it looks even better. Mrazek looks liked a superstar on Carolina, why did he clear waivers the following season?
Mrazek has always looked like a super star for a few weeks at a time. Then awful a few weeks at a time. He's an athletic goaltender who doesn't have solid mechanics to fall back on.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
what do you know about Sanderson?
I rarely saw a 18 y/O dman being a top 4 level at 18-19...

The last one i remember is Heiskanen... maybe it will work but ottawa are better to give him a good veteran solid dman on the other side to help him.

And maybe he will look lime at top 4 in middle of regular season but i dont think he will look like a top 4 first half.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Mrazek has always looked like a super star for a few weeks at a time. Then awful a few weeks at a time. He's an athletic goaltender who doesn't have solid mechanics to fall back on.

It's not like Mrazek didnt blow out his groin multiple times during the year too including in his very first game. I don't think he played a game all year where he was truly at 100%.

It was unfortunate for everyone really.

P10p

May 15, 2012
This is not an upgrade from Murray?

What a disingenuous argument. Wild fans and anyone who followed the Wild know that Talbot going to the ASG was more about the central division and the wild as a team than it was Talbot.

COL had great forwards and defense so they didn't want to pick Kuemper.
Nashville sent Saros.
Dallas was a rotating cast of goalies.
St. Louis had Binnington and Husso figuring things out.
Arizona is Arizona.
Winnipeg had Helly being bad.

When you look at the above and taking into account that the Wild were on fire, Talbot is an easy choice. And a lot of it is due to other factors than what is implied by saying "he is an allstar".

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What a disingenuous argument. Wild fans and anyone who followed the Wild know that Talbot going to the ASG was more about the central division and the wild as a team than it was Talbot.

COL had great forwards and defense so they didn't want to pick Kuemper.
Nashville sent Saros.
Dallas was a rotating cast of goalies.
St. Louis had Binnington and Husso figuring things out.
Arizona is Arizona.
Winnipeg had Helly being bad.

When you look at the above and taking into account that the Wild were on fire, Talbot is an easy choice. And a lot of it is due to other factors than what is implied by saying "he is an allstar".
You seem triggered by this Tweet. Talbot was named to the all star game as an Allstar Goalie. The Tweet from NHL communications, not me says all one needs to know. There is no need to overanalyze it.

P10p

May 15, 2012
You seem triggered by this Tweet. Talbot was named to the all star game as an Allstar Goalie. The Tweet says all one needs to know. There is no need to overanalyze it.

There is no debate to the tweet. There is debate to the point you were making when implying Talbot is better by reposting the tweet.

The fact that you're not debating but deflecting indicates that you know it is bad logic.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
I rarely saw a 18 y/O dman being a top 4 level at 18-19...

The last one i remember is Heiskanen... maybe it will work but ottawa are better to give him a good veteran solid dman on the other side to help him.

And maybe he will look lime at top 4 in middle of regular season but i dont think he will look like a top 4 first half.
Not sure you know of him, his fortes are defence and skating.

He probably will be on 3rd pairing in defensive zone and 2nd on offensive face offs for a couple months. He might just be our best defensive D at the end of the season although Zub is really good

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
There is no debate to the tweet. There is debate to the point you were making when implying Talbot is better by reposting the tweet.

The fact that you're not debating but deflecting indicates that you know it is bad logic.
Did you read the content of that Tweet?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
How not to handle your goaltending situation. A novel on "not doing shit" - by Billy Guerin.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Did you read the content of that Tweet?

Yes, the Minnesota Wild had a dynamite first 50 games and Talbot happened to be the goalie for most of those games. That is exactly my point. Talbot was greatly propped up by the Wild as a team. Is Talbot trash? Of course not. But stating that he is better going forward than Murray because the Central/Wild had no other option in net isn't true. Anyone who followed the Wild knows this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad