Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] Mike Hoffman (4 years, $5.1875M AAV)

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
That weak winger is a player they Leafs have been trying to trade for.

Just like how Boucher was a terrible coach as soon as he signed in Ottawa according to some Leaf fans, despite the fact that he was the Leafs second choice after Babcock.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
You would think a mentally weak player would pack er' in after being told he can't even hack it in junior and being cut from team to team. No, Hoffman played through it, won MVP of the QMJHL, and succeeded in being drafted as an over-aged player.

Or he would pack his bags after struggling and being called out in all of junior, AHL and NHL for not playing up to expectations. No, Hoffman got better after every year, in every league, when teams had all but given up on him.

It seems to me Hoffman has the markings of a very mentally strong player.

Very, VERY good post! :handclap:

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Yea battle of ontario sucks. We stopped caring about you guys in 2004.

And yet here you are in our thread...
Anyways, this is a fine deal. More than fine.
Yes, our owner is a lunatic loudmouth, that was never in doubt. As long as he pays our players though I'm ok with it.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
And yet here you are in our thread...
Anyways, this is a fine deal. More than fine.
Yes, our owner is a lunatic loudmouth, that was never in doubt. As long as he pays our players though I'm ok with it.

I came because it was a good signing and I wanted to see the posts, then saw a Senator fan insult Leafs fans based on one person's comments. We don't have a rivalry with you guys, but we are your main rival, thats what is funny.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I came because it was a good signing and I wanted to see the posts, then saw a Senator fan insult Leafs fans based on one person's comments. We don't have a rivalry with you guys, but we are your main rival, thats what is funny.

Actually it's Les Habitants by a longshot these days. In a few years it will be good as Babcock and Auston Matthews put their signatures (or skid marks) on your team.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not sure why you'd single out Leafs fans, I'm a Leafs fan and think you guy's got a great deal.

Sorry, you're right not all leaf fans have been this way but many have unfortunately.

Only one guy has really said something negative from the Leafs side. I wouldn't read too much into it!

In this thread yes.

As a Sens fan I don't share the same sentiment as the post you are replying to. May be I am one of the rare Sens fans who want to see Leafs get to some sort of respectability in the standings to make Battle of Ontario relevant again. I miss those wars!

I guess you have missed the countless threads suggesting the sens wont pay him and he is leaving. Just go look on the trade message boards there have been several, about trading Karlsson too. All started by leaf fans.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Montreal is our main rival nowadays.

We can hang out once you stop sucking.

NickLidstrom

Ottawa & Detroit fan
Dec 1, 2013
Umeå
Alfredsson, Heatley, and Spezza all left because either he wasn't willing to either pay them what they were worth or he'd shipped off one of the others because of this and left them with less and less options.

Heatley left because he wasn't getting any PP time due to a horrible coach- literally a season into his new 6x7 deal- which at the time was one of the biggest contacts in the league. Spezza left because he was sick of the Ottawa media blaming everything on him and because the Sens were publicly putting him on the trade block. Alfie left under strange circumstances and we likely will never know all the reasons,but apparently him and Melnyk were a few million apart in his new deal (most fans think something else was going on). Tell me how that fits your narrative?

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Heatley left because he wasn't getting any PP time due to a horrible coach- literally a season into his new 6x7 deal- which at the time was one of the biggest contacts in the league. Spezza left because he was sick of the Ottawa media blaming everything on him and because the Sens were publicly putting him on the trade block. Alfie left under strange circumstances and we likely will never know all the reasons,but apparently him and Melnyk were a few million apart in his new deal (most fans think something else was going on). Tell me how that fits your narrative?

There was a certain Toronto blogger they were a few million apart but the truth came out and Ottawa offered more then the Wings did.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The structure of this contract is really interesting. Hoffman gets a huge raise during his UFA years. A good notch in Ottawa's belt as this is another player who they've managed to keep from losing to UFA.

My guess would be that this means that Ceci is made to sign the cheapest possible short term deal. Which is more of a risk for Ottawa, but if they have a budget, their only option is to get Ceci locked down to the cheapest possible deal.

I'm not saying Ottawa plans to trade Hoffman next year when he gets his raise, but this does open up that possibility, and I don't think it is that outlandish to speculate that it might be something that was considered with this deal. Hoffman gets his guaranteed money, and Ottawa gets at least one more cheap year out of Hoffman while opening up the door to get a better return for him in the 2017 off season than they would have gotten this off season.

Again, I'll give the disclaimer that I am not suggesting Ottawa do that, and I am not saying I think it is their absolute intention, but I think it might have been something considered as a possibility when structuring the deal. Almost everybody on their team are getting raises after each season and within the next 2 seasons, they are going to have to shed not just salary space, but also cap. Most likely situation is that Methot gets taken in the expansion draft and they rush Chabot into playing in the top 4, maybe on Karlsson's left side. But they can't bank on that.

Regardless, any way you cut it, this is a pretty good signing for Ottawa. To get Hoffman at lower than some other comparable contracts, as well as signed on a favourable term is a big win.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
He was a RFA no? I'm sure at least a dozen teams would be targeting a young (almost) 30 goal scorer with speed and lots of skill. He could of easily got 6m imo

Most sports experts said he could have got 6 million on a short term deal or 5 on a long term deal.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
The structure of this contract is really interesting. Hoffman gets a huge raise during his UFA years. A good notch in Ottawa's belt as this is another player who they've managed to keep from losing to UFA.

My guess would be that this means that Ceci is made to sign the cheapest possible short term deal. Which is more of a risk for Ottawa, but if they have a budget, their only option is to get Ceci locked down to the cheapest possible deal.

I'm not saying Ottawa plans to trade Hoffman next year when he gets his raise, but this does open up that possibility, and I don't think it is that outlandish to speculate that it might be something that was considered with this deal. Hoffman gets his guaranteed money, and Ottawa gets at least one more cheap year out of Hoffman while opening up the door to get a better return for him in the 2017 off season than they would have gotten this off season.

Again, I'll give the disclaimer that I am not suggesting Ottawa do that, and I am not saying I think it is their absolute intention, but I think it might have been something considered as a possibility when structuring the deal. Almost everybody on their team are getting raises after each season and within the next 2 seasons, they are going to have to shed not just salary space, but also cap. Most likely situation is that Methot gets taken in the expansion draft and they rush Chabot into playing in the top 4, maybe on Karlsson's left side. But they can't bank on that.

Regardless, any way you cut it, this is a pretty good signing for Ottawa. To get Hoffman at lower than some other comparable contracts, as well as signed on a favourable term is a big win.

The rumors Ottawa wants a 2 year deal with Cody no number yet in terms of salary but look for it to be in the 3.4-4.1 range.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Sens are a budget team with an internal budget as well, even I can tell you that as a Habs fan, I can even give you proof such as Melnyk quotes. As for them not having money go sign Hoffman, I doubt anyone knew the answer to that...

We're reasonable people. :laugh:

As long as the demands didn't get too crazy there was always a very good chance. Now Ceci and maybe a low cost D and we're done... Buckle up Habs :laugh:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The rumors Ottawa wants a 2 year deal with Cody no number yet in terms of salary but look for it to be in the 3.4-4.1 range.

I think you're way off there. The benefit of Ottawa signing Ceci to a 2 year deal is that it'll be cheaper than buying up UFA years or ARB eligible years. If he is forced to take a 2 year deal, it is going to be 2.5 or lower with a high second year salary.

If he goes 5+ years it'd be 4.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Not sure why you'd single out Leafs fans, I'm a Leafs fan and think you guy's got a great deal.

It's probably because a few leafs fans seem to have to make every topic about the leafs. Probably a case of the few being the loudest. Tbh I'm sorta suprised this thread isn't about Kadri yet

longchange

Feb 18, 2012
Not bad, he still has a lot of potential even though he's 26. Hopefully he continues to work hard and improve because the skills are clearly there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad