Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcasticus

Mar 25, 2010
Ottawa
Stats nerds are getting BFR'd on twitter:
--
Ryan Hoelke ‏@RyanHoelke Oct 27
@b_ryan9 Do you understand any of this, cuz I sure as hell don't. "http://senstats.com/stats/ pic.twitter.com/CJzrk68Uwd”
-
Bobby Ryan ‏@b_ryan9 Oct 27
@RyanHoelke none at all. It's all junk.
-
Senstats ‏@senstats 14h14 hours ago
@b_ryan9 @RyanHoelke I'm disappointed you think so, though you're more than entitled to your opinion. I think a lot of it relates to...
-
Senstats ‏@senstats 14h14 hours ago
@b_ryan9 things you and other players emphasize, perhaps without knowing it. Zone entries, for example, you spoke about just the other day.
-
Bobby Ryan ‏@b_ryan9 13h13 hours ago
@senstats you keep your stats... Never been a minus in my career.. Yet a Corsica rating somehow makes sense? It's stats for nerds
--

As a pure mathematician, I gleefully endorse Bobby's position that stats are ugly and are for nerds. Now number theory, that's where it's at!

Lineup tweet:
--
SensChirp ‏@SensChirp 5m5 minutes ago
#Sens visit the #Bruins tonight in Boston. No morning skate scheduled. MacLean will provide a lineup update later today.
--

Borocop didn't make the trip, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same lines as on Thursday.

GO SENS GO!!!

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
This will be a big test for the kids as Boston can really thump. They have to have their heads up and be ready. This is a game where Boro"cop" could be useful.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You know. Corsi is so simple that I wouldn't be surprised if teams have already moved past it. , I'm pretty sure Mackenzie said that actually, that teams don't look at it because they've moved past it. Some coaches would just rather not shoot meaningless pucks at the net all the time. And it's no coincidence that good teams have highs corsi. Bad teams do not. This is a league. Not everyone can dominate possession. When buffalo and Ottawa start getting better players they will start dominating possession. I think it has less to do with strategy than people think (in most cases)

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
You know. Corsi is so simple that I wouldn't be surprised if teams have already moved past it. , I'm pretty sure Mackenzie said that actually, that teams don't look at it because they've moved past it. Some coaches would just rather not shoot meaningless pucks at the net all the time. And it's no coincidence that good teams have highs corsi. Bad teams do not. This is a league. Not everyone can dominate possession. When buffalo and Ottawa start getting better players they will start dominating possession. I think it has less to do with strategy than people think (in most cases)

Instead of corsi, why not just look at the Time of Possession stat?

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
You know, I don't mind the stats side of the game, I don't. What bugs me though is since the Leafs went out and hired a bunch of Internet guys to lead their stats division, everyone and their dog is now obsessed with them and firing up their own sites in the hopes of landing a job in the NHL.

Meanwhile, their are legit staticians and big data guys who could probably do a much better job of developing valuable stats for the game but no team is paying attention to them.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You know, I don't mind the stats side of the game, I don't. What bugs me though is since the Leafs went out and hired a bunch of Internet guys to lead their stats division, everyone and their dog is now obsessed with them and firing up their own sites in the hopes of landing a job in the NHL.

Meanwhile, their are legit staticians and big data guys who could probably do a much better job of developing valuable stats for the game but no team is paying attention to them.

There are stats guys that have never watched a game of hockey that could track Corsi and fenwick lol.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Nerds, eh?

How very 1980's. That tweet from Ryan made me like him less.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I'm sure he'll be heartbroken to lose a great nerd... I mean, fan, like you.

Well, he also purchased a suite for sick kids for eight years yesterday. That made me like him quite a bit. So they don't quite even out - still has this nerd as a fan. I won't get into the advanced numbers of my fandom, I know a tough goombah like you doesn't want the percentages anyway. ;)

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Well, he also purchased a suite for sick kids for eight years yesterday. That made me like him quite a bit. So they don't quite even out - still has this nerd as a fan. I won't get into the advanced numbers of my fandom, I know a tough goombah like you doesn't want the percentages anyway. ;)

You read me like a book, further expanding your nerdiverse in doing so.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Instead of corsi, why not just look at the Time of Possession stat?

The value of Corsi is that it is much simpler to track. a Time of Possession stat (NHL doesn't track this currently) would be slightly better, but most research has shown the improved accuracy negligible.

The problem is that may use Corsi as an analogue to something it is not, like defensive play, or quality of player. It's about as useful as +/- in that regard.

Teams don't really need to follow Corsi imo because the are looking for the cause, not a symptom and are willing to spend the resources to comb through the minutia of details. The best thing corsi numbers might do for a team is give them a quick way to narrow down who they want to scout further, but it runs the risk of false positives, and false negatives.

Corsi and other fancy stats are fun for those of us without the resources of NHL scouts, and can potentially be helpful at a strategic level where you can question and evaluate the effectiveness of tactics, but I imagine the teams can do this the traditional way as well (possibly as or more effectively, it's hard to say).

I think what it comes down to is fancy stats can help the layman see what a trained eye already knows. For the untrained eye, it can help help break down biases, and help us question what we "know".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad