OT: Other Sports 75

Status
Not open for further replies.

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
Overall it’s been a very impressive season so far for the White Sox, but looking forward to the 2nd half of the season there are 2 main areas I’d like to see the team improve on before the playoffs start:

-Record on the road
-Record vs teams .500 or better

Compared to all other contenders/teams in a current playoff position the Sox have inferior records in both those categories. We’ve beat up on bad teams and relied heavily on home cooking. Not that those are bad things…but still. Really would like to see us do better on the road and against other contenders/good teams.

ESPN made the point this morning above, which I've also been saying. The Sox are now 16-25 vs. teams with a .500 record or better and most of the games haven't even been close. About 70% of their wins now are against the league weaklings. Houston for comparison is 43-22 against winning teams. That's something else that shows how soft the Sox schedule has been with only 41 games vs. winning teams.

Unfortunately the bullpen is bad and the starting pitching keeps slipping. The fielding is still awful but slightly better over the last two weeks so that's good. But yeah they need to start winning some of these games vs. potential playoff teams. They won't be playing Minnesota or Baltimore in October.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
ESPN made the point this morning above, which I've also been saying. The Sox are now 16-25 vs. teams with a .500 record or better and most of the games haven't even been close. About 70% of their wins now are against the league weaklings. Houston for comparison is 43-22 against winning teams. That's something else that shows how soft the Sox schedule has been with only 41 games vs. winning teams.

Unfortunately the bullpen is bad and the starting pitching keeps slipping. The fielding is still awful but slightly better over the last two weeks so that's good. But yeah they need to start winning some of these games vs. potential playoff teams. They won't be playing Minnesota or Baltimore in October.

At this point I’m just hoping that by adding help in the bullpen and a big bat at the TDL, Eloy, Robert, and Grandal that it will be enough to drastically change our performances vs the other contenders come September/October.

If not we’re f***ed.

Tbh either way I don’t see anyone in the AL taking 4 out of 7 from Houston. They’re too good.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Well those bitching about Jerry being cheap can be quiet

Little concerned about his age but even if he slips some he should still be good fit as a veteran middle rotation guy in Sox staff

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
At this point I’m just hoping that by adding help in the bullpen and a big bat at the TDL, Eloy, Robert, and Grandal that it will be enough to drastically change our performances vs the other contenders come September/October.

If not we’re f***ed.

Tbh either way I don’t see anyone in the AL taking 4 out of 7 from Houston. They’re too good.

Well it's not just Houston. Teams like TB and Boston have also had a lot of success lately and are seasoned in the playoffs, the Sox are not. But it's pretty telling that Houston for example has won more games vs. winning teams than the Sox have even played against.

But you're right, adding those guys back will help, but they need more. My main worries are the fielding, and the fact the starting pitching is regressing also. If the pitching's no good, like it was last year with the Oakland mini-series, then they aren't going to beat any of those seasoned teams, no matter who's back to help the offense.

I like the Lynn signing despite his age, his performance has been a pleasant surprise.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Not that they will want to or should, but this does potentially open up the possibility of moving Crochet if the right deal is out there. Because now you can feel good about next year's rotation with Lynn, Kopech, Giolito and Cease all locked in.

Of course, moving Crochet would potentially open up another hole in the already fragile bullpen, so it's still unlikely.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
As pathetic as the bp was yesterday, theres no way you can count on winning a game when you score 1 run. As has been the case for a lot of the season, the offense is the biggest issue with the sox. They can do fine against average-below average pitching, but with a lineup full of bench players and minor leaguers, they get eaten up by good staffs.

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
It feels like hes had no hitter stuff like every other start this year.

This. My brother told me the Hou. TV guys are in awe of his stuff. Said not many guys (combined with Giolito last night) have shut down their lineup like this much this season. Hope they can finish it off and take two of three...would be a nice start to the second half. Then beat up on the Twins some more.

And so help me, I know I'm in the minority but I love the 83 uniforms. Probably cause it was "my" era lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce