Other domestic leagues 2022/23

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona

"In terms of the number of U20 players lined up in domestic league matches since 1 April 2018, the Romanian side FCV Farul tops the table with 45 footballers, while Paris St-Germain (28) heads the rankings in the five major European championships ahead of Bologna (22)."

Farul is the team I support from my hometown of Constanta, owned and coached by Gica Hagi. We're also top of the Romanian league at the moment, even though it's basically an academy team.

Reactions: sabremike

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Boca lost 4 out of 5 and have called up a few youth players to get them out of their funk.

Lollo, Zeballos, and Barco.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Barco is starting very excited to see him back after some derailment in his career.

Hoping Lollo starts to what an unfortunate name for a CB
Boca lost but Barco showed he is a first division player already. Played the part even though Boca started late and somehow ended up with nothing.

Zeballos got a run out after his injury. Looked decent.

Reactions: al secord

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Lol. I grew up with a Boca family, so they're my honorary team. You haven't witnessed football until you've seen a River/Boca match live. Other than fearing for my life a few times, it was probably my favorite football experience.
Must've been awesome... I imagine experiencing any match at la bombonera would be unreal.

Reactions: al secord

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Celtic dropped points yesterday with their draw , but Rangers couldn't capitalize as they meakly lost to Aberdeen today.

You rarely see such well weighted long distance crossed lobs from the sidelines by a CB like the one Scales scored today.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Belgian regular season concluded tonight with a spectacular final matchday with a lot still to play for.

Gent and Club Brugge were fighting for 4th place and the final Champions Playoff spot. Teams were tied on points but Gent held the tiebreaker. Brugge did their job and won 7-0 against Eupen tonight but Gent dramatically lost 2-1 at home against already relegated Oostende.
Genk, Union SG and Antwerp will fight for the title while Club Brugge looks out of it after their worst season in a while (thanks, Scott Parker)

1. Racing Genk 38 pts (top Union based on GD)
2. Union SG 38
3. Antwerp 36
4. Club Brugge 30

With their loss, Gent finished 5th and will play in the Europe Playoffs (winner gets a ECL ticket), with Standard and surprise team Westerlo who were promoted last summer. 8th place and the final ticket looked like it was going to either Charleroi or Anderlecht, both teams failed to win though which means Cercle Brugge (3-2 winners at Zulte-Waregem) snatched the final spot.

5. AA Gent 28 pts
6. Standard Liege 28
7. Westerlo 26
8. Cercle Brugge 25

Anderlecht lost 3-2 at home against Mechelen and finish in 11th(!!) place, their worst finish since the 1936-1937 season. Still a miracle how they went all the way to the Conference League QF and eliminated Villarreal. Plenty of work to do for them, again, in the offseason with, also again, a very limited budget.
Mechelen finished in 13th place but play Antwerp in the Cup Final next week.

At the bottom, Seraing and Oostende were already relegated. And tonight Zulte-Waregem will join them, sadly, after 18 years in the First Division. A remarkable run that saw them win the Belgian Cup in 2006 and 2017 and a 2nd place finish in the league in 2013 (the Thorgan Hazard-Junior Malanda (RIP) team).

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Belgian regular season concluded tonight with a spectacular final matchday with a lot still to play for.

Gent and Club Brugge were fighting for 4th place and the final Champions Playoff spot. Teams were tied on points but Gent held the tiebreaker. Brugge did their job and won 7-0 against Eupen tonight but Gent dramatically lost 2-1 at home against already relegated Oostende.
Genk, Union SG and Antwerp will fight for the title while Club Brugge looks out of it after their worst season in a while (thanks, Scott Parker)

1. Racing Genk 38 pts (top Union based on GD)
2. Union SG 38
3. Antwerp 36
4. Club Brugge 30

With their loss, Gent finished 5th and will play in the Europe Playoffs (winner gets a ECL ticket), with Standard and surprise team Westerlo who were promoted last summer. 8th place and the final ticket looked like it was going to either Charleroi or Anderlecht, both teams failed to win though which means Cercle Brugge (3-2 winners at Zulte-Waregem) snatched the final spot.

5. AA Gent 28 pts
6. Standard Liege 28
7. Westerlo 26
8. Cercle Brugge 25

Anderlecht lost 3-2 at home against Mechelen and finish in 11th(!!) place, their worst finish since the 1936-1937 season. Still a miracle how they went all the way to the Conference League QF and eliminated Villarreal. Plenty of work to do for them, again, in the offseason with, also again, a very limited budget.
Mechelen finished in 13th place but play Antwerp in the Cup Final next week.

At the bottom, Seraing and Oostende were already relegated. And tonight Zulte-Waregem will join them, sadly, after 18 years in the First Division. A remarkable run that saw them win the Belgian Cup in 2006 and 2017 and a 2nd place finish in the league in 2013 (the Thorgan Hazard-Junior Malanda (RIP) team).

I have pretty much stopped closely following Jupiler league after Anderlecht's downfall in recent years, I wonder if the club can stop the downwards spiral at this low point.

But I see that these playoff groups are another different format from recent years.

At least return to only 16 teams next season should help with restoring of more quality in the league.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
I have pretty much stopped closely following Jupiler league after Anderlecht's downfall in recent years, I wonder if the club can stop the downwards spiral at this low point.

But I see that these playoff groups are another different format from recent years.

At least return to only 16 teams next season should help with restoring of more quality in the league.

More quality ... it's true there were some really bad teams in the bottom of the league, but still we had 3 clubs make a European QF, another getting to the R16 in the CL and two other clubs (Genk and Antwerp) playing in the Champions Playoffs weren't even in Europe.

This current league and playoff format was agreed on during the Covid-lockdown, for a period of 3 years. As you said, starting next season we are going back to a 16 team league, with a 6 team Champions Playoff after the regular season, as it was pre-covid.

Yeah Anderlecht seem to be at the bottom now although they have shown some improvement with Riemer. Yet they were outplayed so badly at AZ this week, even I was shocked how bad they were. They seemed on the right track with Kompany, with a 4th place finish and a Cup final last year but then the new director kicked Kompany out - and turn almost every fan against him. Their best prospects are leaving the club earlier than ever (look at Julien Duranville), it's getting harder to attract good players, their prestige is fading because (apart from this year) they aren't doing anything in Europe anymore. They aren't even close to competing with the likes of Brugge, Antwerp or even their in-city rivals Union (who have beaten them like 6 times in a row now). There isn't a clear solution for their issues, just keep saving money where you can and hope you can keep sell prospects for a lot of money and luck out on some transfers.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Celtic to the Scottish cup final after beating Rangers in the semis. Goalscorer Jota looking like Rudi Völler from the 80's with moustache and long hair.

Rangers had their chances, as Tavernier hit the post and then Sakala missen an open net from the rebound.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

I had no idea there was a connection I just thought it was mere coincidence. Pretty cool. Although my post probably gets deleted.

• Love
Reactions: maclean

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad