Other domestic leagues 2022/23

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Not sure about them but I'm sure its similar to the club they own in Croatia, Osijek. There are some people against it because of the politics involved but on the field its been mostly a success. At Osijek for example they have built a brand new modern, Category 4 UEFA stadium with adjacent training facilities (something Split and Zagreb are nowhere near doing) and the results have been largely ok for their standards. Basically the Hungarian 'government' is buying up clubs with a strong Hungarian minority or their former territories, off the top of my head this includes: Backa Topla (Serbia), Osijek (Croatia), Lendava (Slovenia), Dunajska Streda (Slovakia), Sepsi (Romania). In all these places they build brand new stadiums or are planning on it. But I mean we also see in Hungary, they are building new stadiums like crazy and have one now which hosts major games in Budapest

Reactions: maclean

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
F that facha Orban in general but him investing in the Romanian league doesn't bother me a bit. His team won the cup so they're going to Europe. If Hungarians don't mind their tax money getting spent on football clubs abroad, why should I?

Reactions: maclean

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
F that facha Orban in general but him investing in the Romanian league doesn't bother me a bit. His team won the cup so they're going to Europe. If Hungarians don't mind their tax money getting spent on football clubs abroad, why should I?

I will admit it felt weird seeing him presiding over the Europa final like a giant toad on his throne, especially after all the trouble people went to to make their stance known about the World Cup venue but fair enough

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium

Probably the most insane final matchday I can remember since maybe that AZ/PSV/Ajax threeway battle like 10(?) years ago

For about 44 minutes Antwerp were champions. Then Genk scored right before HT which put them 1st.
Right after HT, Union went up 1-0 against Bruges. Union in 1st place.
Antwerp then tied it up against Genk, pushed for the 2nd goal but got caught and Genk made it 2-1. Union still 1st.
Then in the 89th minute, Brugge equalized at Union, which suddenly vaulted Genk into 1st place again.
Brugge then scored two more to win 1-3 so Union were done.
And then, 94th minute, with the entire Genk stadium already celebrating, Alderweireld scored and Antwerp are champions.

Just a sick ending and brutal for both Union and Genk who were minutes away from winning it all

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Oh, and:

IMG-5223.jpg
Scene outside McHale's in NYC (Home of the NYCSC):
20230603_144006.jpg
20230603_144019.jpg

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Leon win the CONCACAF Champions League defeating LAFC 3:1 on aggregate. Leon defended well and looked decent at times on the counter and should have buried the game. LAFC were poor for all the talk about how big favorites they were (don't watch much of MLS since their Apple move) and Leon were basically mid-table in Liga MX this season missing the playoffs in both the Apertura and Clausura. As a result not only do Leon qualify for this year's FIFA Club World Cup but also the 2025 edition which will be the newly expanded tournament the braintrust at FIFA created

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
British Petroleum has their own team in the league now?

But seriously, AIK and Göteborg so low, what's going on with them? Degerfors' defence seams to be in a different league to everybody else.

I don't even know these clubs Mjällby, Värnämö, Sirius, Varberg, they must be from some small towns.
aik and göteborg had horrible coaches, remains to see if the new coaches are good

mjällby, värnamo, varberg is from small towns. sirius is from uppsala, 4th biggest city in Sweden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad