OT: Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XXV - RIP Don Zimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
They have 1 more year on WGN TV and then you can be assured they will not be on "free" tv after that. When that happens it will be exactly like SportsVision was.

Not nonsense at all.

No, it's not. That's nonsense.

It's a totally different era, you can't compare them at all. 83% of US homes have paid TV, this isn't 1980 when it was first coming into existence.

Hawks82

Dec 4, 2011
What arrogance...

A team that hasn't won a WS in 105 years has no business having their own network.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
What arrogance...

A team that hasn't won a WS in 105 years has no business having their own network.

Success =\= popularity, though. Cubs're a top 5 team in terms of popularity in all likelihood in spite of let's just say a few years of failure.

Granted, I'm sure they they're hoping that the rebuild's over by the time they launch it, to get advertising on board as much as possible.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
I would be more bummed at this ending of a 90-year Cubs tradition if I didn't think WGN wanted the Cubs gone almost as much as the Cubs wanted to be gone. WGN apparently has been having really bad ratings with the Cubs the last few years and had the option to match what WBBM was willing to pay for the Cubs broadcast rights and decided against doing so. Not sure I think that was the right move for WGN to make, but both the Cubs and WGN have had bad leadership since their breakup so them making a mistake is nothing new.

I'd also be more bummed about this change if I didn't sort of hate the "Go Cubs Go" song that should be retired now that Cubs games aren't on WGN any more.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Success =\= popularity, though. Cubs're a top 5 team in terms of popularity in all likelihood in spite of let's just say a few years of failure.

Granted, I'm sure they they're hoping that the rebuild's over by the time they launch it, to get advertising on board as much as possible.

Sad thing is WGN played big part in what Cubs are

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I was thinking of a way they could blackout all 82 games. If they can only do the home games like before, then $100.

How much do you think they could charge for the 41 home games before seeing a considerable loss in viewership?

You realize the Hawks get paid $$$ by WGN for games and own part of CSN

It would make no sense for Hawks to spite there own profits from CSN and money from WGN while destroying popularity

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Don Zimmer apparently passed away. Met him once at a charity softball game in Schaumburg and got his autograph after a brief conversation. Very nice guy.

RIP

Last edited:

neodydan

Jul 4, 2011
Very sad. A baseball lifer.

Darn near managed a surprising young Cub team to greatness in '89. If it wasn't for "Will the Thrill" Clark. Cubs get to the W.S.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Complete information about the draft can be found here. The first day's action can be seen on TV at the MLB Network 7:00PM EDT or online at mlb.com. Day one will cover the first two rounds and three partial compensatory rounds. In other words the first 74 picks. The next two days will start at 1:00PM EDT and will include rounds 3 - 10 on Friday and rounds 11 - 40 on Saturday; these can be seen online at mlb.com.

SB Nation

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Not impressed with Kolek. Listed at 250 as a HS senior. Just going to get bigger down the road. I dont think he has much for secondary pitchers. Big red and I dont know how much movement there is on that. Cubs had a few over the years with mid to high 90s and no movement. They didnt last long.

Projects only as a reliever. When Kerry Wood went to see him in one of his last game, was one of his worst outings if I remember correctly. Cubs need a potential starter capable of more than 1 pitch right now.

Unfortunately at this point, Nola projects as the highest available. College arm. Small but has very good control and keeps the ball down. Other than that pickings are slim at #4. Cubs may go for Pentecost hoping he will make it as a catcher which they need. Conforto is the best pure hitter but I cant see them taking an outfielder.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Pretty much exactly where I am at. Nola, Pentecost or Conforto. I'll be happy with any of the three. Hopefully we get extremely lucky and one of the better pitchers makes it to us. I wouldn't be at all disappointed with Nola though, we need projectable arms.

Elvis P

Night Gallery
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
1. Astros: Brady Aiken, LHP, Cathedral Catholic HS (Calif.)
Houston's decision likely will come down to Aiken, Rodon and Jackson, none of whom is expected to command the full $7,922,100 assigned pick value. There's increasing chatter that the Astros might play it safer by going for a bat, but the guess here is that they'll pop the Draft's top-rated prospect in Aiken.

2. Marlins: Carlos Rodon, LHP, North Carolina State
Miami is focusing on the same players as Houston. Ownership may prefer Rodon and some senior club officials may want Jackson, the best bat in the Draft. It's unclear whether the Marlins would take Aiken if he's available.

3. White Sox: Tyler Kolek, RHP, Shepherd HS (Texas)
Rodon may be No. 1 on Chicago's board and likely would be the pick here, but signability could be an issue. The White Sox almost certainly will take an arm and it's hard to ignore the upside of Kolek, the hard throwing high schooler. If the South Siders prefer collegians to prepsters, polished Louisiana State right-hander Aaron Nola could be their man.

4. Cubs: Michael Conforto, OF, Oregon State
Chicago wants pitching and covets Rodon, who could land here if Jackson goes to Houston or Miami. But if Rodon goes in the top three, the Cubs may not like any of the arms enough to take them this high. Hoffman would have been an obvious target before he blew out his elbow, and the Cubs could pass on Kolek or Nola. There's a growing sense that they'll save money to go after pitching later by cutting a deal with Conforto or Kennesaw State catcher Max Pentecost. Chicago could take Gordon, but it doesn't appear to be in on Jackson.

5. Twins: Nick Gordon, SS, Olympia HS (Fla.)
Minnesota will wait to see which of the five best prospects remains and likely will take the top one remaining on its board, probably Gordon. Other options would be a college pitcher such as Hartford left-hander Sean Newcomb or stockpiling cash by doing a deal with someone such as Lee's Summit (Mo.) West High outfielder Monte Harrison.

6. Mariners: Alex Jackson, C/OF, Rancho Bernardo HS (Calif.)
This would be a dream scenario for Seattle, as Jackson's power would play well even at Safeco Field. He should get here if he doesn't go first or second. Otherwise, the Mariners will turn to the college ranks for Newcomb, Nola, Conforto or North Carolina State shortstop Trea Turner.

7. Phillies: Aaron Nola, RHP, Louisiana State
Neither Gordon nor Nola is expected to get past Philadelphia, with the latter more likely to be available. The Phillies will consider many of the same players as the Mariners, as well as Evansville left-hander Kyle Freeland, who had an MRI last week to clear up confusion involving his elbow arising from an old medical report. This looks like the high-water mark for slugging Clovis (Calif.) High shortstop Jacob Gatewood, but he has swing-and-miss concerns and Philadelphia needs more immediate help.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb...md=20140602&content_id=77857076&vkey=news_mlb

Here's one mock.

Last edited:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I wonder how cheap Hoffman would be if we took him. That might be the way to get the best of both worlds, high upside pick but save a ton of money for later in the draft.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I wonder how cheap Hoffman would be if we took him. That might be the way to get the best of both worlds, high upside pick but save a ton of money for later in the draft.

I think he'll fall into the nebulous late first round phase. I understand teams with top picks not wanting to spend it on him without fully knowing how he'll be after the surgery... but his procedure has an extremely high success and recovery rate and he's still an extremely touted prospect, so I doubt we'll see him in the second round when either Chicago team picks again.

If he's available the second time the Cubs and Sox come around, they should absolutely take him.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I think he'll fall into the nebulous late first round phase. I understand teams with top picks not wanting to spend it on him without fully knowing how he'll be after the surgery... but his procedure has an extremely high success and recovery rate and he's still an extremely touted prospect, so I doubt we'll see him in the second round when either Chicago team picks again.

If he's available the second time the Cubs and Sox come around, they should absolutely take him.

For sure. I'm floating the idea of taking him at No. 4 if his cost is low enough to free money for other picks in the first 10 rounds.

Elvis P

Night Gallery
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
1 Paul Wilson New York Mets P Florida State University
2 Ben Grieve Oakland Athletics OF Martin High School
3 Dustin Hermanson San Diego Padres P Kent State University
4 Antone Williamson Milwaukee Brewers 3B Arizona State University
5 Josh Booty Florida Marlins SS Evangel Christian High School
6 McKay Christensen California Angels OF Clovis West High School
7 Doug Million Colorado Rockies P Sarasota High School
8 Todd Walker Minnesota Twins 2B Louisiana State University
9 C. J. Nitkowski Cincinnati Reds P St. John's University
10 Jaret Wright Cleveland Indians P Katella High School
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Major_League_Baseball_Draft

These were the top 10 picks 20 years ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad