Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LXV - NBA Lottery Watch/MLB Opening Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Great deal considering Hendricks doesn't rely on velocity. All he needs to do is hit the gun in the high 80s to be effective.

With another good year, I suspect Baez is next. Unfortunately, Boras is a pain to deal with. Bryant will probably hit free agency or traded in his last year.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Great deal considering Hendricks doesn't rely on velocity. All he needs to do is hit the gun in the high 80s to be effective.

With another good year, I suspect Baez is next. Unfortunately, Boras is a pain to deal with. Bryant will probably hit free agency or traded in his last year.
I'll play devil's advocate a bit here even though I like the deal.

We have seen in the past when Hendricks loses just a bit of velocity that he's not nearly as effective. He is very good when he's sitting 88-90. However, not so much when he's sitting 86-88. So if he loses some of what he has, then I could see him struggling.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

We have seen in the past when Hendricks loses just a bit of velocity that he's not nearly as effective. He is very good when he's sitting 88-90. However, not so much when he's sitting 86-88. So if he loses some of what he has, then I could see him struggling.

Is it the velo or the movement though? I guess they go hand in hand so it doesn’t really matter.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Players see a work stoppage coming, want to get money now.
Unless there is a huge signing bonus, I don't think it matters for Hendricks.

He was already being paid a handsome salary due to arbitration. It wasn't going to go down from $7mn+.

It's not like Hendricks is going to be paid during the strike. Unless Hendricks thinks the CBA is going to be worse after the negotiations, it really doesn't matter.

He signed a guarantee to be take the risk of injury out of the equation.

Now ... you can make the strike argument for Eloy Jimenez. That said, he got a great deal. He only gave up 1 year of free agency for giving up arbitration.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

That is true. I've heard Deshaies say that often. That said, I don't see him as an injury risk. I think the Cubs hope Hendricks is a #3 and innings eater.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I feel like I can say one thing for sure about this draft class. I want nothing to do with Cam Reddish.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Looks like Hoiberg will be the next Nebraska basketball coach. Prohm is staying at Iowa State. Rumors Buzz Williams is heading back near home to aTm.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
That's not too bad for Hoiberg. NBA didn't hurt his college standing and saw him go from Iowa State to Nebraska if true.
That's a pretty big downgrade, no?

Iowa State is a much better basketball program than Nebraska, I'd think at least...

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Eh, I wouldn't call it a downgrade, tbqh. Iowa State may have a better track record, but both are power conference programs and I believe that Nebraska has more athletic resources.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Eh, I wouldn't call it a downgrade, tbqh. Iowa State may have a better track record, but both are power conference programs and I believe that Nebraska has more athletic resources.
I don't know man, here is the list of tournament appearances for each program since 2000...

Iowa State: 2000, 2001, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019

Nebraska: 2014

That may be a bit simplistic but Iowa State's program seems much stronger.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I don't know man, here is the list of tournament appearances for each program since 2000...

Iowa State: 2000, 2001, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019

Nebraska: 2014

That may be a bit simplistic but Iowa State's program seems much stronger.

The 2012-2019 appearances are basically because of Hoiberg

Reactions: IU Hawks fan

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Illinois has had essentially zero success for years, but I think you'd be hard pressed to say it was a worse job than a recently successful mid-major for instance. Iowa State has certainly been better as of late, part of that disparity being the good job Hoiberg did with them, but I don't think their program at large is really any more desirable than Nebraska's beyond the recent advantage they have.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
The 2012-2019 appearances are basically because of Hoiberg
I get that, and I've admitted I know nothing about college basketball really. Just seems like even if you credit Hoiberg for those seasons, it still doesn't negate that at this point in time, Iowa State is a much better program.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Illinois has had essentially zero success for years, but I think you'd be hard pressed to say it was a worse job than a recently successful mid-major for instance. Iowa State has certainly been better as of late, part of that disparity being the good job Hoiberg did with them, but I don't think their program at large is really any more desirable than Nebraska's beyond the recent advantage they have.
This is not really a good comparison IMO.

Nebraska has made the tourney 7 times in their entire history compared to 30 times for Illinois. As I pointed out, Nebraska has done it once in the last 20 years and Illinois has done it 10 times in the last 20 years.

I think Iowa State vs. Illinois is an interesting debate.

We're talking about Nebraska basketball here, not their football program.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm aware, I just wouldn't call that a downgrade.

I mean, if we were talking about a coach going from a Kansas or a Kentucky or a Duke to Nebraska? Absolutely an unquestionably a downgrade. I'd say that the advantages that Nebraska brings to the table, as in department wealth and brand/fanbase appeal, at the very least puts them near comparable to Iowa State, a more successful but also one with a lower national focus imho.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Iowa State basketball has far more history than Nebraska basketball. Iowa State has the better basketball fan base as Nebraska is a football school.

Academics are similar.

Facilities are probably about the same, but the Nebraska athletic department has more money.

Big 10 and Big 12 as basketball conferences are about the same.

Both school are in the boonies with below average weather.

Nebraska has better overall athletics.

=> There's not much difference between Nebraska and Iowa State. Three hour drive. Nebraska has more money and better athletic department ... Iowa State basketball has better fan support and history. If Hoiberg can succeed at Iowa State, he can succeed at Nebraska.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad