Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LXIV: Cactus League

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
2nd in my bracket league right now despite knowing nothing. Seems like a good year to just play the favorites. Everyone is pretty tightly bunched though.

It's been all chalk. I'd imagine most polls are pretty close at this point.

It's been a pretty disappointing tournament so far. Not because all of the favorites are winning but because there just haven't been a lot of great (close) games. That Duke game yesterday was great though and they are so lucky to have pulled it out. Hopefully the next set of games are better.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

It's been a pretty disappointing tournament so far. Not because all of the favorites are winning but because there just haven't been a lot of great (close) games. That Duke game yesterday was great though and they are so lucky to have pulled it out. Hopefully the next set of games are better.
I'm just happy UVA has an easier road to the Final Four than the other regions. The Sweet Sixteen has some incredible games. Dook and UVA are the biggest favorites in Vegas for their next games ... but even then VPI will be tough for Dook and Oregon is still a Power 5 team with some talent.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
His value is probably lower than it should be right now so I wouldn't trade him. I've never been a huge Happ fan though so if he rebounds then I'd definitely be thinking about it.

Definitely let him rebound first. To be honest, I really like the moves the rest of the division made. The Reds completely turned their team around with all of their moves, should finish at least around .500. The Cards and Brewers did great as well. The Pirates are solid too.

It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if the Cubs missed the playoffs this year. If the season is going bad around the TD, I really hope they do what the Yankees did in 2016 and sell to restock the system. Zobrist would be a valuable rental to a lot of teams. Happ could get a good return. Hamels, Strop, Cishek and Morrow are all in their walk year. Maybe Hamels could be our Chapman, net a prospect then resign in the offseason since he loves it here.

The Cubs could load up the system with top pitching prospects and give the team a chance to build a long lasting power house like the Yankees have. Since they can’t seem to devolop pitching, this is probably best for the team in the long run. We’ll see what happens, but IMO, all signs point to a gong show of a season.

Last edited:

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland

Oregon is a 12 seed

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Definitely let him rebound first. To be honest, I really like the moves the rest of the division made. The Reds completely turned their team around with all of their moves, should finish at least around .500. The Cards and Brewers did great as well. The Pirates are solid too.

It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if the Cubs missed the playoffs this year. If the season is going bad around the TD, I really hope they do what the Yankees did in 2016 and sell to restock the system. Zobrist would be a valuable rental to a lot of teams. Happ could get a good return. Hamels, Strop, Cishek and Morrow are all in their walk year. Maybe Hamels could be our Chapman, net a prospect then resign in the offseason since he loves it here.

The Cubs could load up the system with top pitching prospects and give the team a chance to build a long lasting power house like the Yankees have. Since they can’t seem to devolop pitching, this is probably best for the team in the long run. We’ll see what happens, but IMO, all signs point to a gong show of a season.
I think it's more likely than not they make the playoffs but they've really put themselves in a situation where it's going to be a challenge.

I doubt they really fall out of the race though, to the point where selling would make sense.

It's not just about the division either, there are a lot of potentially good teams in the NL East that will be pushing for WC spots.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I think it's more likely than not they make the playoffs but they've really put themselves in a situation where it's going to be a challenge.

I doubt they really fall out of the race though, to the point where selling would make sense.

It's not just about the division either, there are a lot of potentially good teams in the NL East that will be pushing for WC spots.

Yeah, we’ll see how it goes. The Cubs have a lot of talent, but to get to the point of selling, the bullpen would have to blow a lot of leads. And you’re right, the East got a lot stronger. There are also a lot of big time prospects graduating throughout the NL. It seems as if all of the teams are getting exponentially better while the Cubs sat out the offseason and have nobody meaningful coming up through the system.

One of these years Lester is going to decline to a No. 4 starter. I’d put the Cubs at 85 wins as of today. A Cy Young quality season from Darvish and an MVP caliber year from Bryant would push that total to 95+ IMO.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Yeah, we’ll see how it goes. The Cubs have a lot of talent, but to get to the point of selling, the bullpen would have to blow a lot of leads. And you’re right, the East got a lot stronger. There are also a lot of big time prospects graduating throughout the NL. It seems as if all of the teams are getting exponentially better while the Cubs sat out the offseason and have nobody meaningful coming up through the system.

One of these years Lester is going to decline to a No. 4 starter. I’d put the Cubs at 85 wins as of today. A Cy Young quality season from Darvish and an MVP caliber year from Bryant would push that total to 95+ IMO.
I'm a bit more optimistic, I see them as a low 90s team right now.

I think my problem is not that I think they'll be bad. The problem is they are in a prime window and are heading in the wrong direction and things now need to break right for them to win a title.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I'm a bit more optimistic, I see them as a low 90s team right now.

I think my problem is not that I think they'll be bad. The problem is they are in a prime window and are heading in the wrong direction and things now need to break right for them to win a title.

They patched together a good pitching staff through free agency and trades early on, but nobody replaced the guys we lost. Chapman to Davis was good, but Morrow isn’t anywhere near those guys. Lackey to Chatwood has been a big downgrade. Arrieta to Darvish has also been a big downgrade. Lester’s best seasons are probably behind him. Hamels was a great addition, but he almost has to pitch like a No. 2 to give the team the boost it needs given the other losses.

Maybe this year is about giving Darvish, Chatwood and Hamels another chance to show they can fill the void before they get serious about looking for help from outside the organization.

Last edited:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Question for Cub fans: With all of the griping about your bullpen, would you guys trade Happ for Colome? I'd argue Colome does more to maximize your window than Happ does. Interested to hear your thoughts. Colome makes 7.5 M this season and has another year of control after 2019. Colome was pretty good closing games for Tampa.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Question for Cub fans: With all of the griping about your bullpen, would you guys trade Happ for Colome? I'd argue Colome does more to maximize your window than Happ does. Interested to hear your thoughts. Colome makes 7.5 M this season and has another year of control after 2019. Colome was pretty good closing games for Tampa.

I like Colome but he was just a free agent and Kimbrel is still out there to be had for nothing but money. It seems like Colome’s salary would be an issue.

What about Jace Fry?

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I like Colome but he was just a free agent and Kimbrel is still out there to be had for nothing but money. It seems like Colome’s salary would be an issue.

What about Jace Fry?
He wasn't a FA. The Sox acquired him from Seattle in a trade.
Anyway, sure, I'd move Fry for Happ. Bullpen pieces do nothing for the Sox currently. I just think Colome helps you guys more than Fry would, as he'd take a huge load off of Morrow.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Anyway, sure, I'd move Fry for Happ. Bullpen pieces do nothing for the Sox currently. I just think Colome helps you guys more than Fry would, as he'd take a huge load off of Morrow.

Agreed. My bad, forgot he got traded. I’d be all about moving Happ for someone like Colome. I just don’t think the Cubs will spend the money. You’re right, the Cubs badly need a closer/bullpen arm and Colome would be ideal.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Agreed. My bad, forgot he got traded. I’d be all about moving Happ for someone like Colome. I just don’t think the Cubs will spend the money. You’re right, the Cubs badly need a closer/bullpen arm and Colome would be ideal.
I wouldn't mind moving Colome for Happ, as the Sox have some internal longer term closer candidates like Ian Hamilton and Jose Ruiz.
Herrera can hold down fort until those guys get their chance. Colome seems like he was acquired with the thought of landing Machado, and when that didn't happen, things change. I don't doubt both Colome and Herrera get flipped in July.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColdSteel2

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
If you wanted to fix the bullpen you’d have done it via FA, not by trading a good former prospect and someone who has produced at the MLB level at his lowest value.

Reactions: hawksrule

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
no offense but a LH- reliever/closer for Happ...... ah no. the sox could get more value with other teams needing a LH- pitcher.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
DeGrom has been locked up now too. At this rate, the only free agents over the next few years will be Cubs players.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
DeGrom has been locked up now too. At this rate, the only free agents over the next few years will be Cubs players.

Trade value rising. Still Cole left but he’ll probably get resigned, can’t see Houston letting him go. Historically weak free agent class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad