Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LVIII: Hamels & Kintzler are Cubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I don’t care what he looks like. I have tattoos etc.

I already mentioned I don’t care about off the field issues either. I don’t have any personal issues with him or any ill will.

He doesn’t play the game with class. He plays it very emotionally and throws little tantrums. So I’m not a fan. That’s all. Not sure why that’s so controversial.

It just a matter of personal preference. I didn’t like it when AJ was slamming his helmet down in frustration and slamming his bat either. Those are two guys with little in common culturally but a lot in common when it comes to how they carry themselves and how they deal with the emotions of the game in a way that respects the umpires, the players, the coaches and the traditions of the game.

Certain golfers bother me even more. There is a gentlemanly aspect to the game, like baseball but perhaps even moreso. Players who are constantly pouting, throwing and slamming their clubs and cussing aren’t players I’m a fan of. I prefer emotionally stable players who make an effort to show respect to the world around them. To me that’s how you play a game with class.
So you're using YOUR SENSIBILITY on the game. That's fine ... but that's YOUR opinion. However, just because your values can't understand why he plays the game with passion, it doesn't mean he's LESS classy for others. Like I said, both Rizzo and Bryant have been kicked out of games. I don't think they are any less classy because they play the game with emotion.

Of course, my issue is the older generation trying to enforce the unwritten rules of the game. They hate when players celebrate homers ... but are completely okay when Madison Bumgartner plants a 90mph fastball in an opponent's back because he celebrated too much the time before. IMO, Madison Bumgartner is a dirt bag and is one of the reasons baseball can't pick up younger fans.

Ironically, I don't have tattoos, wear an earring, or dye my hair. However, I never found opponents showing passion disrespectful or "less classy." The way one disrespects the game is not playing hard. Having fun and playing with emotion is not a sin. Do you think Michael Jordan was less classy because he constantly harped on the refs for calls and trash talked his opponents to death?

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
He doesn’t play the game with class. He plays it very emotionally and throws little tantrums. So I’m not a fan. That’s all. Not sure why that’s so controversial.

Give us an example of Baez not playing the game with class? Has Baez ever bulldozer over a 2b like Albert Belle? Steamroll a SS like Chase Utley? Throw a bat in a brawl like Juan Marichal or Roger Clemens throwing at Mike Piazza? Spike a player like Ty Cobb?' Karate kick a catcher, like Izzy Alcantara? I mean, has Baez done anything remotely like that to justify being called "classless?"

Throwing "little tantrums" is your reason for Baez "not playing the game with class?" Is this for real? You do know that Baez is not the only player to throw "little tantrums" over bad calls in baseball history, right? How does that make him "classless?"

When is playing baseball emotionally, a sin? MLB needs more personality in the game, more Baez, Lindor, Adrian Beltre, Bryce Harper, etc, not less. Playing a game "emotionally" is not a value excuse for calling Baez "classless."

Does Baez play the game with flair/style? Yes? Is he "classless"? But no definition is he "classless." If you don't like Baez, fine, I can see why he would turn people off, but don't make up "Hawk Harrelson--the will to win" level crap to justify your dislike of Baez.

--------------------------------------

* Maddon, Theo, and Hoyer LOVE Javy. They love his work ethic, character, and energy. Javy was not a Theo and Hoyer draft pick. He WON them over even though he wasn't their type of player (free swinger).

Yep. I really don't see a legitimate reason to "hate" Javier as a player, other than spite.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Yesterday was the first time Baez has ever been ejected. Lol about him being some kind of problem player

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
They seem to. I don’t know the overall numbers, though. It’s probably a little skewed by guys like Chatwood and Wilson, though. Bullpen has been outstanding this year, but yeah that’s a stupid loss tonight.

They have the 7th worst walk rate in the league, the Braves are the team in contention with a worse rate. The Brewers have a similar rate as the Cubs but pretty much every other potential playoff team is a good bit better at limiting walks.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I actually really like that Javy shows emotion. I would think that means he’s passionate rather than classless.

Crow

May 19, 2014
I’m not going to argue with things attributed to me that I didn’t say.

Bottom line, i see it like this and it’s fine for you to disagree: if you act like a child and throw tantrums, you aren’t acting classy on the field. That’s what he did yesterday. That’s how a hormonal teenager would react to a bad call, not an adult. Can any of you react to bad news like that at your jobs? Just throw your stapler into a wall when someone gives you bad news?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

Bottom line, i see it like this and it’s fine for you to disagree: if you act like a child and throw tantrums, you aren’t acting classy on the field. That’s what he did yesterday. That’s how a hormonal teenager would react to a bad call, not an adult. Can any of you react to bad news like that at your jobs? Just throw your stapler into a wall when someone gives you bad news?
You called Javy "LESS CLASSY." You could have just said that he needs to control his emotions better. I didn't see you call out Anthony Rizzo or Kris Bryant for being LESS CLASSY when they got kicked out of their games.

I gave you plenty reasons why Javy is no LESS CLASSY than any other Cub. Calling out a player for their "class" is a shot at their character. And comparing an office job to playing baseball is asinine. Why didn't you go after Maddon when he swore at the ump last night! Is he any less classy? Maddon even said Javy did nothing except throw his equipment at the end of an inning. He didn't stare the ump down and show him up. Yes, Javy was frustrated, but it wasn't LESS CLASSY as you suggest.

Just admit it. You're an old school guy who wants their athletes to keep quiet and just play. That's fine ... but you better rip on Patrick Kane for his antics after a goal OR Duncan Keith doing stupid stuff after he gets frustrated on the ice. Are Patrick Kane and Duncan Keith LESS CLASSY too?

Crow

May 19, 2014
I have no problem admitting that I prefer more quieter personality types. I think that’s been part of my point the whole time.

I guess you just don’t like my wording. To me, class at least on the field, is how you carry yourself. It’s not just how you play. It’s how you react to the things beyond your control.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
On another note - how about Dylan Covey? He was just dominant last night. And he did get some awesome defense behind him. He threw a 2 hit shutout for 8.1 IP.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

This stuff happens for a vast majority of professional baseball players at some point, and Javy rarely does that anyway. My goodness.. are you serious right now? Those aren’t similar at all. Baseball equipment being thrown is a rather common occurrence, whereas a stapler being thrown into a wall is not. Good try, though.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
You called Javy "LESS CLASSY." You could have just said that he needs to control his emotions better. I didn't see you call out Anthony Rizzo or Kris Bryant for being LESS CLASSY when they got kicked out of their games.

Rizzo is classless in another way (really dirty on the field). Bryant on the other hand is just awesome.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I have no problem admitting that I prefer more quieter personality types. I think that’s been part of my point the whole time.

I guess you just don’t like my wording. To me, class at least on the field, is how you carry yourself. It’s not just how you play. It’s how you react to the things beyond your control.
That's not class. That's Javy's demeanor on the field. Yes ... Javy is outgoing and passionate. He plays with a lot of energy. I understand it could turn some people off, but that has nothing to do with class. Class is personal. Class is integrity. Class is character. No one on the Cubs ever questioned Javy's character.

Demeanor: outward behavior or bearing.
Class: Poised, graceful, mature, or exudes any of these qualities in dress, mannerisms, language, and everyday life.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont

I love when people try to compare it to their real world jobs, as if is anything close at all. Thats a straight terrible take.

Crow

May 19, 2014
I love when people try to compare it to their real world jobs, as if is anything close at all. Thats a straight terrible take.
I prefer adults to act like adults, not children, no matter what their job is.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Oohhh... Jason Heyward just slammed his helmet on the field... so are you now going to tell me he has no class?
It's like asking a football player to remain calm in between plays ... while cheering for them to rip the opponents head off.

We comply by the rules. We remain disciplined in between plays because we don't want to penalize our teammates. However, once in a while, even the person with the MOST CLASS can lose it on the field. Sports can get emotional.

Imagine your competitor actively trying to prevent your success while next to you. Now imagine if your competitor kept deleting your excel file all day and then someone told you to suck it up. You might get a bit annoyed.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I guess the Cubs found their lead off hitter. Is Rizzo batting like .500 from that spot? He BA is now .262. He's raised his average 20 points in the past week.

It's too bad the Cubs imploded last night. They should have taken 4/5 from the Cardinals. It's tough to sweep a double header.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I guess the Cubs found their lead off hitter. Is Rizzo batting like .500 from that spot? He BA is now .262. He's raised his average 20 points in the past week.

It's too bad the Cubs imploded last night. They should have taken 4/5 from the Cardinals. It's tough to sweep a double header.

For sure. I’ll take 3/5, though. I think I saw Rizzo reached based 17 times in the series.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Well well well.... A few more quality starts, this Jose Quintana trade might upgrade from horrible to below average.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Well well well.... A few more quality starts, this Jose Quintana trade might upgrade from horrible to below average.
I'll take below average. If Quintana could be a legit #3 starter, that would be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad