Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LVIII: Hamels & Kintzler are Cubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
He literally said the same thing I did.

And yea.. some Cubs are somewhat shocked most Sox fans think logical regardless of team or bias (cough.. Illinihockey.. cough.. KBIB..) :)

I have no issues what Sarva said. It was a logical argument.

However, in the back of my mind, I always wonder if Sox fans have the best interests for the Cubs. From my experience, ChiSox and Mets fans are extremely cynnical when it comes to anything Cubs and Yankees, respectively.

If ChiSox fans push a Cubs trade ... it makes me think twice. :)

Imagine if a Red Wing fan pushed for a Blackhawk's trade.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Yep. I'm a Sox fan through and through. When you live in Chicago (as I and many of you do), it's hard to not be exposed to the other side. I feel like I can contribute in an unbiased way.

And for Cub fans opinions on the Sox - the one I always like to read here is mb's. He doesn't emphasize the negatives as some others do.
I'm actually one of those rare Chicago fans who wants to see the Sox do well. It's possibly because my best childhood friend had Sox season tickets and thus ... I went to far more Sox games. However, I always stayed a Cubs fan.

Even though I sincerely want the Sox to do well ... I do make some snide remarks regarding Sox players to purposely annoy my Sox friends. I honestly think Sox fans choose Cubs pain over Sox joy.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
And for Cub fans opinions on the Sox - the one I always like to read here is mb's. He doesn't emphasize the negatives as some others do.

There's some here who believe he is a sox fan yet is a big Cubs fan and a former (or still current?) scout. He is that unbiased (also with the Yolmer avatar too, but Yolmer is awesome so can't knock him for that).

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
There's some here who believe he is a sox fan yet is a big Cubs fan and a former (or still current?) scout. He is that unbiased (also with the Yolmer avatar too, but Yolmer is awesome so can't knock him for that).
He appears to be a very knowledgeable Sox fan except his unwavering support for Tim Anderson. :) Anderson is another Baez without the baseball IQ, fielding, power, and arm. He is a good kid though.

Crow

May 19, 2014
He appears to be a very knowledgeable Sox fan except his unwavering support for Tim Anderson. :) Anderson is another Baez without the baseball IQ, fielding, power, and arm. He is a good kid though.
Anderson has a lot of speed and good instincts as a base stealer. His other tools are not as good as baez, although he has a lot more class. Both are very good young players and I think Tim will continue to improve his game. Baez I expect to regress especially at the plate.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Anderson has a lot of speed and good instincts as a base stealer. His other tools are not as good as baez, although he has a lot more class. Both are very good young players and I think Tim will continue to improve his game. Baez I expect to regress especially at the plate.

Explain the bold.

Reactions: Easy E

Crow

May 19, 2014
Explain the bold.
Baez and also Wilson Contreras have a type of personality that some people love to see and some people consider insulting to the traditional view of the game. It’s polarizing. It’s an unbridled passion of sorts. They believe they are always right in how see a play, will argue with umpires frequently and have no qualms about showing up other players. Personally I find their inability to control their emotions childish and a subtle hinderance to their game.

Both are amazing players in spite of that. Not the type of player I can get behind though.

Crow

May 19, 2014
It’s more about ego. I don’t blame either of the two for being egomaniacal at times. They are both pretty amazing players on both offense and defense so their egos are justified. I just choose not to like players who completely lack humility on the field. It has nothing to do with them outside of baseball. I don’t follow their personal lives. I think if you cultivate that type of ego things can end up getting very bad. That type of player makes the bad times worse, kind of like Sammy Sosa and Carlos Zambrano did. They become toxic to the team. Chris Sale is a good example too.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Baez and also Wilson Contreras have a type of personality that some people love to see and some people consider insulting to the traditional view of the game. It’s polarizing. It’s an unbridled passion of sorts. They believe they are always right in how see a play, will argue with umpires frequently and have no qualms about showing up other players. Personally I find their inability to control their emotions childish and a subtle hinderance to their game.

Both are amazing players in spite of that. Not the type of player I can get behind though.

While they are both highly passionate players (this is confirmed) do you have any proof that they cause issues within the team or think they are always right?

They are not ejected anymore than other players so your arguing with umpires claim seems wrong as well.

Seems like you are making up reasons to not like them in a way.

Neither are like Zambrano or Sosa.

To say they lack class is weird way of speaking to them in general. To say the are highly passionate or even too passionate I would get but to say they lack "class" is just not accurate.

Last edited:

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
LOL. Give me a break .

You guys had AJ Pierzynski for Christ sake

I cannot stand Trevor Bauer but he is a stud. I'd take him on the Cubbies all day long .

Crow

May 19, 2014
AJ was another example. There are plenty of players with egotistical mindsets. It’s not something incredibly tangible but you can see it in their mannerisms and actions on the field.

I’m not looking to prove anything as if that is even possible. How could you prove that it causes them to lose focus on what is important at times or that close calls on balls and strikes may not go their way as much as they would if they had a different attitude? You can’t prove it.

That’s my perception of those two players based on what I’ve seen from them. I don’t look for reasons to not like players or people in general. I am of the opinion that you have to be able to control your emotions very well to have class and show respect to other players, the umpires and the game itself. I guess they aren’t the same thing but they are related.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Can Carpenter be IBB for the last game please? Jesus Christ. Dude is lit .

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Feels like the Cubs have wasted a lot of chances this game, and I worry that is going to cost them. Should have gotten more in the 6th, especially.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Feels like this pitching staff in general just walks so many people. Implode here in the 9th

They seem to. I don’t know the overall numbers, though. It’s probably a little skewed by guys like Chatwood and Wilson, though. Bullpen has been outstanding this year, but yeah that’s a stupid loss tonight.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

Timmy has way more speed and a better eye. But its a lazy comparison since Anderson is really raw and started baseball so late in life whereas Baez has played most of his. Baez is a better player right now though, no question.

Crow

May 19, 2014

Give me a break with all of this surprise. I’m not denying that he is a great player. I don’t know how you can deny that he does things like this though. Literally hours after I mention his tendency to lose his cool he does this. It follows logic that he may have been tossed sooner than some because of his reputation as someone who throws little tantrums at umps.

I’ll also admit that he might be doing it less this year. I would expect him to be, because he has been performing so well. It doesn’t look like he is maturing though.

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

Give me a break with all of this surprise. I’m not denying that he is a great player. I don’t know how you can deny that he does things like this though. Literally hours after I mention his tendency to lose his cool he does this. It follows logic that he may have been tossed sooner than some because of his reputation as someone who throws little tantrums at umps.

I’ll also admit that he might be doing it less this year. I would expect him to be, because he has been performing so well. It doesn’t look like he is maturing though.

Really? This is the same excuse people gave when they favored Addison Russell over Javy Baez. We all know about Addison's off the field issues including following in the footsteps of Antonio Cromartie and Shawn Kemp.

Let me tell you what class is:

* Helping caring for his sister with spinal bifida. Javy and his brothers took care of his sister and mother from a young age. They moved without complaint all over the country trying to help her sister.

* Donating time and money to many charities including a charity to find a cure for spinal bifida.

* Never ducking the media regardless of if his day. Chicago beat reporters love him. And he doesn't hide behind his Spanish. He goes out of his way to speak English to everyone.

* His teammates say Javy is one of the the hardest workers in practice. He's also a student of the game and comes to the park early every day. His teammates love Javy.

* Married his high school sweetheart ... and just had a baby with her.

* Takes care of his mother. Always credits his family for his success ... including her deceased sister. He says if she didn't ever have a bad day, he shouldn't either.

* Maddon, Theo, and Hoyer LOVE Javy. They love his work ethic, character, and energy. Javy was not a Theo and Hoyer draft pick. He WON them over even though he wasn't their type of player (free swinger).

=> Just because a player has tattoos, wears jewelry, dyes his hair, or shows passion ... doesn't make him LESS classy. Guys from Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic play a different way. Just because we don't understand their culture ... it doesn't mean their less classy. Javy got in a legit argument with the ump tonight. He didn't spit or bump him. Players get thrown out once in a while. Rizzo and Bryant have this year. Does it make them less "classy?"

Madison Bumgartner throws at every Latin American player who shows emotion. So much so, Latin American players called him out. He was also riding ATVs and hurt himself ... which hurt the Giants. Do you consider him classy?

Class is a lot more than just "appearance."

Reactions: Blue Liner

Crow

May 19, 2014
I don’t care what he looks like. I have tattoos etc.

I already mentioned I don’t care about off the field issues either. I don’t have any personal issues with him or any ill will.

He doesn’t play the game with class. He plays it very emotionally and throws little tantrums. So I’m not a fan. That’s all. Not sure why that’s so controversial.

It just a matter of personal preference. I didn’t like it when AJ was slamming his helmet down in frustration and slamming his bat either. Those are two guys with little in common culturally but a lot in common when it comes to how they carry themselves and how they deal with the emotions of the game in a way that respects the umpires, the players, the coaches and the traditions of the game.

Certain golfers bother me even more. There is a gentlemanly aspect to the game, like baseball but perhaps even moreso. Players who are constantly pouting, throwing and slamming their clubs and cussing aren’t players I’m a fan of. I prefer emotionally stable players who make an effort to show respect to the world around them. To me that’s how you play a game with class.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad