OT: Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LIII: Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Yeah it does look like he's going to Boston. Todd wasn't Dunn or Laroche bad here, but he didn't live up to his Toddfather nickname. Seems like a good guy. If him and Sale win the Series, I'll be happy for them.

Rooh

GENERATIONAL TANK COMMANDER
Jul 4, 2017
#1 player in the class of 2018 Marvin Bagley is considering reclassifying, so he can be eligible for the 2018 Draft. A lot of hype surrounding him, supposedly the best high school prospect since Anthony Davis some even say Lebron.

More options for the Bulls in next year's draft, looks like a really stacked class.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Yeah it does look like he's going to Boston. Todd wasn't Dunn or Laroche bad here, but he didn't live up to his Toddfather nickname. Seems like a good guy. If him and Sale win the Series, I'll be happy for them.

well i will be happy if the sox trade him, period. i just hope the rtn is a decent rtn. i am not expecting the huge rtn that is really unrealistic rtrn. but i hope it is not a junk trade.

prob is hahn is talking and dealing with david dombrowski, so i don't know if hahn will get the best of him.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
what is getting me is the reasoning in wash nat'l camp. who is making the final decisions over ??

this morning i read that wash is now looking for a closer who are rated 2 or 3rd tier kind of closer. the reason is it wouldn't cost in ref to prospect being offered to get that player.

if this was me, my team never won the world series nor even sniffed the finals. they have a great lead and an great starting 4 sp's. i would pay what is needed to invest in a closer, not going dumpster dumping looking a for a deal.

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
Quite an assortment of players in the next draft that are hyped as being the best since LeBron. A team could probably pick 10th and take the best player since LeBron at this rate. :laugh:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
#1 player in the class of 2018 Marvin Bagley is considering reclassifying, so he can be eligible for the 2018 Draft. A lot of hype surrounding him, supposedly the best high school prospect since Anthony Davis some even say Lebron.

More options for the Bulls in next year's draft, looks like a really stacked class.

Bagley is the same age as Porter (who is a year older than his current class). Bagley would be "reclassifying" back to his original class. Look at Thon Maker. He was a 24 year old coming out of high school.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Quite an assortment of players in the next draft that are hyped as being the best since LeBron. A team could probably pick 10th and take the best player since LeBron at this rate. :laugh:

The 2017 Class was supposed to be the strongest since the LeBron/DWade/Melo draft. It could be. It certainly had a ton of depth. Usually, classes are measured by the top end of the draft.

The 2018 Draft is supposed to be strong at the top end ... but not nearly as strong as 2017. That means landing in the top 5 is imperative.

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
Of course, but it's a bit absurd that there have already been at least 3 players likely to be in next year's draft who are said to be the best prospect since LeBron or the next LeBron. I mean, just a little less hyperbole is all I want. Click bait draft sites apparently can't help themselves.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Last year he was fun to watch in 1st half

His played dropped off badly in 2nd half

Wasn't Dunn level bad but I am happy to move on from lumbering lefties who strike out a ton and are extremely streaky

Rooh

GENERATIONAL TANK COMMANDER
Jul 4, 2017
Of course, but it's a bit absurd that there have already been at least 3 players likely to be in next year's draft who are said to be the best prospect since LeBron or the next LeBron. I mean, just a little less hyperbole is all I want. Click bait draft sites apparently can't help themselves.

The Bagley/Lebron thing is overblown by a lot, he doesn't look like the best high school prospect since Lebron, I can definitely see since Anthony Davis though.

Luka Doncic is still the only prospect I legit believe can be the best prospect since Lebron, I'm ok with the hype surrounding him.

Bagley getting reclassed is big for the Bulls. There is a lot of talent at the top of the draft. Picks 1 and 2 could both be potential franchise players now. Remind's me of the 2007 draft with Oden-Durant.

HawkNut

Jun 12, 2017
I'll be going to the see the Sox and Mariners tomorrow.

Cubs are 2-0 after the All Star break, but can Milwaukee please lose so the Cubs can gain ground?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
My mistake

Still I am tired of Sox constantly looking for this type of hitter who almost always has major flaws that prove hard to overcome but is tolerated because of his big bat

you got a great point. i used to fight this rant. the problem is, it is what the owners want. they want that instant flash, the home-run. the fireworks going off. the excitement of the crowd. this is circa bill veeck style. when he had a shoe string budget and needed to give the fans something to get excited.

now is yr 2000 and the teens. fans are smarter. yet the owners does not think a hard fought 1-0 game is exciting enuf for the fans. have you wonder why the fence in the outfield was brought in 10 + feet. so it could make it more homer friendly.

this is still my rant and i still can't believe it bugs me. they should get players who can hit avg 290+ and 15 hrs. not the avg 205 and hit 35 hrs.

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Of recent one's Jim Thome was most successful but acquiring him was essentially same mistake team made after 1959 run when they traded for Roy Sievers and his big bat

Sievers big bat was not as important as the fact it changed dynamics of team that was built on speed/defense

Sievers was slow and plodding with average ability to field. He hurt team more then he helped them

Thome was same way his big bat didn't compensate for the loss of speed and how it altered lineup

Both trades also turned into deals team would regret given prices paid (Naturally the Sievers trade is one of the top 5 worst in franchise history , The Thome trade was nowhere near that bad but team for years has struggled to find consistent CF since trading Rowand)

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
The 2005 white sox didn't win because they were fast. They were 5th in the league in home runs with 200

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Quintana looks incredible so far... as if sox fans didn't know how awesome he always was. ;)

EDIT: Final line. 7 IP 3 H 0 R 0 ER 0 BB 12 SO

Last edited:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Jose Quintana will win AT LEAST one Cy Young for the Cubs during his current contract. He's the same tier as Sale, just had a lot of bad luck with run support. It's amazing the Cubs got him. You can tell he always knew if he had the offense, he could really bring it to the next level. Look at what he said after the trade. No matter how strong you are, better circumstances net better results. He's a really special player. He's our ace, why wouldn't he be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad