News Article: OT: WSJ - USOC may take away Boston's Olympics bid

Ozamataz Buckshank

Oct 7, 2010
Massachusetts
I love local government infrastructure spending, but please don't bring the crappy ass Olympics to Boston. So happy to see the backlash against them. The city and state can fix the infrastructure problems without justifying it with the pomp and circumstance of the Olympics.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I love local government infrastructure spending, but please don't bring the crappy ass Olympics to Boston. So happy to see the backlash against them. The city and state can fix the infrastructure problems without justifying it with the pomp and circumstance of the Olympics.

I think most of us would agree that the T needs heavy funding to make it reliable.

The insanity of building a 60,000 seat stadium in South Boston and then tearing it down is mind boggling.

LA has every venue already in place, let them deal with it.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Sooo... pretty much status quo in Boston for as long as I've been alive, then?

130% more with 425% more cost to the taxpayer!!!

T is friggen broke.

Honestly, I'm jealous of the idealistic thinking. But, there's nothing a Massachusetts politician has ever done to make me think that they can do what leadership from less corrupt and more functional cities in the last 50 years couldn't do and keep the Olympics from being a money grab for insiders at the cost of locals.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Even if this is just a rumor, it's enough to ensure that there's zero chance the IOC gives us the bid over Paris, etc. Thank God.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
A lot of people pleasantly surprised me by being voal critics of this horrible idea.
From the No Olympics website.

"I mean, time's a-wasting, and there's still many, many unanswered questions associated with this...there are some very big fundamentals here and I really think the focus ought to be on that."

- Governor Charlie Baker, 3/9/2015

"I’m really concerned about it. I want to see much better information — you won’t be surprised about this — about how they’re going to pay for it. And exactly what changes it’s going to make in our infrastructure, you know, how you prioritize. It’s both halves for me: how you’re going to pay for it and then what it is that gets done first and who that’s going to help in the long run. That’s what I need to see still.”

- U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren, 3/30/2015

"Part of what is concerning to people, there is so much money tied up with this. If you look at the salaries and the consultant salaries to date, it's amazing. It's amazing what people are being paid. It just underscores to me that this is such a significant issue."

- Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey, 3/23/2015

"It’s hard to have much trust in what increasingly looks like a money-grab by a shadow government of connected players."

- Professor Joe Giglio, Northeastern University, 3/21/2015

"Whoever made the decision to make all of those payments, raises questions as to whether they would be good stewards of any public money should it come their way … Do they really need hundreds of thousands a month … to convince my constituents it’s good?"

- Congressman Michael Capuano, 3/10/2015

"First, you build grass-roots support. Then, you go for the gold. Boston 2024 did the opposite and as of now, it’s backfiring."

- Joan Vennochi, Boston Globe, 3/20/2015

"No matter how many host cities exceed their budgets by billions of dollars, no matter how often tax payers are stuck with the cost of maintaining derelict venues, no matter the corruption in which the aforementioned [Olympic] Lords have engaged, meaningful reform would seem unlikely, at least as long as everybody regards them and their spectacle as too big to fail."

- Bill Littlefield, NPR's Only a Game, 2/7/2015

"Taxpayers in this state should take a close look at who’s really profiting off this Olympic bid — and it’s not them. In an effort to be considered world class, Boston is proving it’s just as small as anywhere else."

- Joe Battenfeld, Boston Herald, 3/10/2015

"Those who don’t know history are doomed to repeat it. Let’s not run the risk of repeating Big Dig mitigation’s devastating impact on the MBTA by allowing Olympic dreams to dictate the next generation of area transit policy."

- Charlie Chieppo, Boston Globe, 3/10/2015

"The push for a Boston Olympics had become a train wreck that could not be hidden behind gauzy appeals to civic greatness."

- Yvonne Abraham, Boston Globe, 3/26/2015

"This city has embraced many enormous events: the marathon, the Democratic National Convention, July 4 on the Esplanade, the NCAA’s Final Four. This is not a hostile venue for visitors. It’s just that we’ve learned to be wary of snake oil salesmen."

- Joe Fitzgerald, Boston Herald, 3/25/2015

"Given the billions in public funding required, and the limited public process to date, communities all across Massachusetts are at risk of losing funding for important regional economic development and transportation projects for decades to come unless the Olympics discussion takes a more equitable and transparent turn."

- Tim Murray, Fmr. Lieutenant Governor and CEO of Worcester Chamber of Commerce, 2/10/2015

"No City Council vote, no vote in the state Legislature, and certainly no referendum. That’s the way the Olympics organizers want it."

- Rick Holmes, MetroWest Daily News, 3/8/2015

"Should Boston be designated for 2024, those area infrastructure projects will be funded and western Mass transportation needs will be put on the back burner for years...There will simply be no way to say no to the needs of Boston 2024."

- Michael Albano, Fmr. Mayor of Springfield, 3/13/2015

"Until the Olympic boosters deal with the suspicion that this is Big Dig, Part Two, they’re going nowhere, fast."

- Jon Keller, WBZ Channel 4, 3/18/2015

"All the members of the Insider Party promise that no taxpayer money will be spent on the Boston 2024 Olympics. If history is any guide, these insiders will one day come hat in hand to the Legislature seeking a taxpayer bailout, like other connected political insiders have done in the past, especially under Patrick. No, Joe Taxpayer is going to need more than a promise. Joe Taxpayer is going to need an ironclad assurance that no state funds will be used for this extravaganza."

- Peter Lucas, Lowell Sun, 3/17/2015

"[Boston2024] is a terrible idea. Where are you going to put it? I would say this: If we can’t find a place for snow, where are we going to find a place for the Olympics?"

- Fmr. Congressman Barney Frank, 3/16/2015

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I'm still amazed a bunch of private citizens can just nominate a city like this on its own. Who the **** ever voted for John Fish to represent the city or state?

The arrogance of these people has only been exceeded by their stupidity in not understanding the people of this region. **** them.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I'm still amazed a bunch of private citizens can just nominate a city like this on its own. Who the **** ever voted for John Fish to represent the city or state?

The arrogance of these people has only been exceeded by their stupidity in not understanding the people of this region. **** them.

John Fish = Meglomania

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
A lot of people pleasantly surprised me by being voal critics of this horrible idea.
From the No Olympics website.

Now that is refreshing to see. Of all the quotes, I liked the Northeastern professor's quote the most. Calls it like it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad