OT: WNBA getting new leader; CBA expiring after playoffs

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Helene Elliott: WNBA at 23 has labor issues, but also a new boss and a plan to stand alone

LAT's Helene Elliot on the WNBA at 23. Players have opted out of CBA which expires after playoffs (or October 31).

The WNBA has experienced the franchise moves and failures that historically have affected sports leagues in their early years and still faces unhappy circumstances like those that have shunted the Liberty to substandard facilities, but it has come a long way as it begins its 23rd season.

It has a new logo — the silhouetted player wears her hair in a bun instead of a ponytail and has been freed from the artist’s box that confined her — and a new agreement with CBS Sports Network to go with its ESPN rights deal. After being run by four presidents, it will have a commissioner when Cathy Engelbert, chief executive of the professional services firm Deloitte, takes office on July 17. The title is significant because it puts her on par with heads of the other major North American professional sports leagues.
The salary cap for each WNBA team is $996,100 this season. The maximum player salary is $127,500, with a minimum of $41,965. But besides higher salaries and a bigger share of revenues — Forbes has estimated players get about 22% of league revenues — Jackson said players were concerned about health and safety issues and creating a sustainable business model.
The NBA has been patient in funding the WNBA. It can afford to be. It has deep pockets, and its losses can be written off in the name of supporting diversity. Speaking to Canada’s CBC network, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver acknowledged he felt “a bit of an obligation” to keep the WNBA going. But at some point, NBA owners — his bosses — might put the bottom line ahead of sentiment.
“Until now, I think this has been a league that has been on autopilot. That was my impression when I started in this role three years ago this month, and that’s my impression now,” said Jackson, whose son Jaren Jackson Jr. of the Memphis Grizzlies was named to the All-Rookie team. “Until now, it has struck me as a league that has been understaffed, perhaps under-resourced, without an intentional plan to be great. And I say ‘until now’ because I think we are in a very different place right now.

“We may sit on opposite sides of the table — the players and I on one side, the league and the team owners on the other — but we can all agree that we can’t continue to do business like this is the league of 20 years ago or even 10 years ago. And now’s the time to turn the corner. And what better time than right now?”

Lots of issues, short term, and long. Can players demand more than the 22% of league revenue they're currently getting? Or do then really need to do more to increase revenues first?

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Seems to my estimation that the NBA has been trying to divest itself as much as possible from the WNBA, leaving the team owners to figure out matters.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
For a league that's been around that long it hasn't really managed to grab much of a foothold has it? I'm all for equal rights but have never really gotten into the WNBA. I don't think I'm alone in that sentiment.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I do see them getting incremental increases. The WNBA isn't run for the purpose of profit but for morally noble reasons. Owners don't care if they run a deficit, they knew that's what would happen when they signed on, they just don't want to run so big a deficit so that they would be bled dry. Right now the NBA owners lose on average 200k per year, and the non-NBA owners lose more but nothing insurmountable. It's not ideal, but no one will go broke because of it. If they were to say, run a 15 million dollar deficit, ergo a 25% increase in their annual deficit, they'd just be losing 250k per year. Again, not ideal, but they knew what they were getting into.

What the owners have to do and have been doing is make sure that the gains that the women make in CBA talks are small and incremental. If the women were to suddenly get massive concessions, and the deficit were suddenly to balloon to 30 or 40 million dollars, then there is a real problem. As long as the concessions do not cost a significant amount, they can afford to wade a little bit deeper into the red without to much concern.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
For a league that's been around that long it hasn't really managed to grab much of a foothold has it? I'm all for equal rights but have never really gotten into the WNBA. I don't think I'm alone in that sentiment.

I'm in a city that had one of the original teams. They actually did pretty well the first 3 seasons or so as did the league, about as well as everyone hoped. I went a couple of times, it was alright, got to be the ball boy some nights which I never had the opportunity at Hornets games.

Problem is, once the newness and novelty wore off, the overall product started to dip. I went to one of the last Sting games ever before they folded, it was terrible. Like 300 people in a brand new Arena to watch missed layups and bad passes. There was nothing to market, at all. I figured after that the league would fold in 5 years but they've kept chugging on.

I find Womens College ball more interesting than the WNBA, and I know I'm not alone. The Womens tournament and Final Four is usually a pretty good watch despite the dominance of programs like UConn and Notre Dame.

Reactions: DoyleG

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
well yes but since the sonics left the basketball fans didn't go piling into the arena to watch WNBA games.
The arena kinda deteriorated even with the 90s rebuild it would be interesting to see how the storm do in ovg's New arena 2 of the WNBA teams in big markets where kicked out of the bigger arenas Washington and New York

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The arena kinda deteriorated even with the 90s rebuild it would be interesting to see how the storm do in ovg's New arena 2 of the WNBA teams in big markets where kicked out of the bigger arenas Washington and New York

Oh i'm sure the team will do better in the new arena once its done but it probably (my opinion won't increase the how much fans they draw. So we'll see what will happen once the arena is done. They average about 8,109 for last season.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

Depends on what you compare it to I guess, with around 7,000 it's the third best attended professional basketball league in the world after the NBA and the EuroLeague? For example the NBA G League only has under 2,500 spectators per game.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Personally, I think WNBA would be better off going to cities without an NBA team.

It's a mixed bag.

On the one hand, Tulsa (now Dallas) had a team for a few years, and it was regarded as the absolute worst place ever. Nobody wanted to play for the Shock, which was why they routinely finished with atrocious records, and opposing teams hated travelling to the Oklahoma town.

On the other hand, you got Connecticut & Las Vegas.

That's about it for the other side.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis

Indiana will also be kicked out, starting next season, though it's due to renovations and not due to lack of interest. Though given how awful the Fever became after Catchings retired...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad