OT: What are peoples thought on an NBA team in Montreal?

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Could this city support an NBA team? Is it even a possibility? I heard the raptors preseason games in Montreal sold out. The sport of basketball has been growing in Canada with 3 canadian players taken in the first round this year and the last two first overall picks were Canadian.

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
Could this city support an NBA team? Is it even a possibility? I heard the raptors preseason games in Montreal sold out. The sport of basketball has been growing in Canada with 3 canadian players taken in the first round this year and the last two first overall picks were Canadian.

I'm all for it, and as a longtime Expos fan, think its way more possible than bringing them back.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

1) No.
2) Anything is possible
3) if true, its like the circus of disney on ice
4) I'm happy canadians get drafted but that has ZERO to do with the viability of a
team that will ALWAYS and perpetually live in the shadow of the CH ( the raptors
recent success notwithstanding)

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Look at the attendance of the 2 baseball games earlier this year. It doesn't mean anything if you can't keep it up all season long. And we all know Montreal is a bandwagon city, once things start to go sour people will stop going.

I like Basketball up to a certain point, but I'll be very honest I wouldn't go. I'd prefer Baseball

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I don't really care one way or another. If we got a team I'd probably go see a game every now and then, and maybe even watch it on TV as background noise.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
If I were a billionaire there would literally be hundreds of options to lose 20 million dollars a year that I'd choose first.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
I would absolutely buy season tickets and support the team if Montreal ever gets one. I also know many people that would go to matches.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
I'd absolutely love it but I don't think it's anywhere close to a possiblity in the near future. Hopefully I'm wrong :)

I'd rather see the NBA have a crack at Montreal than baseball/Expos coming back.

JtotheC

Apr 29, 2011
Montreal

I don't think our city has what it takes to support an NBA franchise. First of all, the NBA coverage in Quebec is poor. Second, just look at some of the posters in this thread that do not care! I think generally, people won't care about the sport. Third, we do not have the demographics to support the team. Many of the younger generation may love and watch basketball, but will not have the means to go to the game on a consistent basis.

If the Impact and Alouettes have a problem filling up their stadium..I am sure a Montreal NBA team would as well.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I think they would have to market it well, get some superstar first overall picks and build up an exciting rivalry with the raptors. At first it would do well because its new and exciting then it will go through a rough patch when it takes a while for the team to be good then I think it will take off once the team starts consistently making the playoffs and the sport gets engrained in the city.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
I don't think our city has what it takes to support an NBA franchise. First of all, the NBA coverage in Quebec is poor. Second, just look at some of the posters in this thread that do not care! I think generally, people won't care about the sport. Third, we do not have the demographics to support the team. Many of the younger generation may love and watch basketball, but will not have the means to go to the game on a consistent basis.

If the Impact and Alouettes have a problem filling up their stadium..I am sure a Montreal NBA team would as well.

MTL Impact is among the teams with the highest attendance average in the MLS, despite being the last team in the league.

Timelord

Stanley Cup polisher
Dec 18, 2011
Like many others here, I'm indifferent to the sport, however the obligatory basketball coverage, however limited, might take away from hockey coverage I think, even if it was a weak team with weak attendance. And Montreal does not need what might be another failed franchise. Just a big waste of time, money and resources in a hockey city.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I would like one but I don't see it happening. I think the MLB returns to Montreal way before an NBA team goes there.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Would be a better option than the expos for me, but I still say no. We're probably not going to be able to compete with the big spenders so we're going to be pretty much another Raptors.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Would be a better option than the expos for me, but I still say no. We're probably not going to be able to compete with the big spenders so we're going to be pretty much another Raptors.

Not only big spenders but who the heck is going to want to sign here and face our winters

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
I'd rather have more races on Gilles Villeneuve, for example a DTM or Moto GP races would be awesome here. Its not like one prevents the other but I'm not too sure an NBA team in Montreal would live very long.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'd much rather they bring Roller Derby back and "professional" mini-putt with Serge Vleminckx. :sarcasm:

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
New sport teams implies public money(direct investment and/or tax breaks), which would be the last thing this province should be spending money on. Literally the last thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad