OT: OT thread number 11 | No More Bad News PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just follow up on the couple that were killed by a Grizzly bear last week in Banff.

This article provides the most information since the attack and the first to note that the attack was predatory by an apparently starving Grizzly. The bear was old. But this part of the story, that the area the couple used is "frequently used as a relocation area for problem bears" is noteworthy.

I say that because in both Jasper and Banff authorities are tightlipped on where problem bears are relocated. Keeping in mind these are potentially, and typically habituated bears that have come to associate people with food. I do know that relocations typically occur in remote areas, and the area the couple were killed at is about as remote as it gets here. But these bears are tagged, Most Grizzlies have been tagged, and they have locaters for these bears. Parks Canada knows where these Bears are at, any given time. While people say this encounter is completely unavoidable, with present technology and tracking available more information could be provided. This information could be public use or at least with registered hikers or such, so that they could know if a problem Grizz or other Bear is within their vicinity in the backcountry. I doubt the couple would have camped there if they had knowledge of a Grizz anywhere in vicinity at this pre-hibernation time of year.

edit: More information has been released. The particular Grizz that killed the couple was not well known to staff and had not yet been tagged. So in this instance nothing could be done. The bear was 25yrs old and in poor health.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A companion post on Bear relocation. This just happened in Jasper

So a Bear and a cub have to be relocated because tourists are dumb. The Bears were feeding on fruit trees within Jasper townsite, Fruit trees which should not be even allowed in a National Park. (First this is invasive species in most cases, only crapabbles, certain varieties could be naturally occurring, 2nd , an obvious food source for Omnivorous animals like Bears)

But these Bears are being located to East portion of park, not disclosed but almost certainly somehwere near North Boundary Trail or Rock Lake (borders JNP) So that these bears are exposed to dangerous situations prior to hibernation in an unknown area, could be at risk from other territorial bears in area or even from hunters if wandering outside of park.

All because tourists get too close to bears, not that the bears get too close to people as reported in the article. Its the peoples fault.

Bear information is everywhere in the park. If you drive there you are handed the information at kiosk. Apps exist, signage exists. These are tourists that don't distinguish a wild bear from a trained bear in a circus or disney movie. People have actually fed bears Ice Cream cones. Tragically. One girl lost her life doing this at Maligne Canyon.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
A companion post on Bear relocation. This just happened in Jasper

So a Bear and a cub have to be relocated because tourists are dumb. The Bears were feeding on fruit trees within Jasper townsite, Fruit trees which should not be even allowed in a National Park. (First this is invasive species in most cases, only crapabbles, certain varieties could be naturally occurring, 2nd , an obvious food source for Omnivorous animals like Bears)

But these Bears are being located to East portion of park, not disclosed but almost certainly somehwere near North Boundary Trail or Rock Lake (borders JNP) So that these bears are exposed to dangerous situations prior to hibernation in an unknown area, could be at risk from other territorial bears in area or even from hunters if wandering outside of park.

All because tourists get too close to bears, not that the bears get too close to people as reported in the article. Its the peoples fault.

Bear information is everywhere in the park. If you drive there you are handed the information at kiosk. Apps exist, signage exists. These are tourists that don't distinguish a wild bear from a trained bear in a circus or disney movie. People have actually fed bears Ice Cream cones. Tragically. One girl lost her life doing this at Maligne Canyon.
Pretty much never the animals fault. People are just basically stupid, and unfortunately, the animals pay the price every time.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well I guess my second beef of the day. What is with the outrage in the price of groceries?

The amount of articles on this is quite unreal. When did people stop flyer shopping? Heck there are apps that will tell you where to even go.

Yes there are some outrageous prices out there, but man shop around or don't be so picky. I honestly can't say that I'm paying all that much more for groceries than I was a year or two ago. Yes maybe I spend a bit more time shopping, but if planned correctly I don't know that it's that much of an inconvience. Plus by going to multiple stores I'm getting some more steps in lol.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
^I couldn‘t be bothered to go from store to store. I buy no-name brands and sale items, and shop special days with 15% off. I don’t like the high prices but it doesn’t affect our lives much. It’s like gas prices.

Reactions: joestevens29

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Well I guess my second beef of the day. What is with the outrage in the price of groceries?

The amount of articles on this is quite unreal. When did people stop flyer shopping? Heck there are apps that will tell you where to even go.

Yes there are some outrageous prices out there, but man shop around or don't be so picky. I honestly can't say that I'm paying all that much more for groceries than I was a year or two ago. Yes maybe I spend a bit more time shopping, but if planned correctly I don't know that it's that much of an inconvience. Plus by going to multiple stores I'm getting some more steps in lol.

I have noticed when traveling to other parts of Canada that food prices are quite a bit lower in Alberta. East coast in particular is quite expensive for meat, eggs and some produce that isn't grown locally which isn't much tbh.

Reactions: joestevens29

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
^I couldn‘t be bothered to go from store to store. I buy no-name brands and sale items, and shop special days with 15% off. I don’t like the high prices but it doesn’t affect our lives much. It’s like gas prices.
I'm kind of the same. Very rare I buy brand name stuff and when it's on sale I stock up.
I have noticed when traveling to other parts of Canada that food prices are quite a bit lower in Alberta. East coast in particular is quite expensive for meat, eggs and some produce that isn't grown locally which isn't much tbh.
Eggs go on sale quite often 1.99 here. I usually stock up lol.

Either that or I guess I'm lucky knowing someone that knows a hutterite real well.

I get the price of meat is stupid high, but Sobeys usually has some sort of real good meat specials every week. Just goes back to if you are picky then it may not work out.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm kind of the same. Very rare I buy brand name stuff and when it's on sale I stock up.

Eggs go on sale quite often 1.99 here. I usually stock up lol.

Either that or I guess I'm lucky knowing someone that knows a hutterite real well.

I get the price of meat is stupid high, but Sobeys usually has some sort of real good meat specials every week. Just goes back to if you are picky then it may not work out.
Poster talks about shopping around and saving and then recommends Sobeys, without a doubt the most expensive retailer around here. I've seen prices at Sobeys 3X as high for some products.

Reports on Sobeys ridiculous pricing is constant. Its arguably the worst store to go to for prices.

All of Walmart, Real Canadian Superstore, No Frills beat Sobeys pricing and on pretty much any product. Sobeys discount brand, Freshco is OK but doesn't even match up with the others and some of their products are way overpriced.

Nor does Sobeys provide good customer service. Its the worst of any place, except Freshco. you could tell owned by the same company. You pretty much have to remind them a product is on sale because their system won't have it on sale even when its marked on sale. Chalo and Freshco infamous for this.

Last complaint re: the Scene card. The worst promotion card out there. Unlike other cards you don't save much on any products or any bonus at the till. You can go to some shit movies eventually.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
1696591468561.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad